Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manu4986
I have done multiple apps with Chase on same day for different products and it got combined to one Hard pull.
Whereas, same day apps for Barclay for different products created 2 hard pulls.
Chase does not use different entities for personal / business.

Many other banks do. Citi uses different entities, so as BofA. On top of that, Citi almost always uses a different Entity for HHonors cards but the same entity for AA and all other Citi in-house cards.

However, Chase is also known to pull TWO different bureaus on the SAME app. This has happened to many people, yours truly included. Same app, HPs from both EX and EQ. Went on the whole 2013 and part of 2014.

I think generalization on how HPs are done is a dangerous thing. Each bank does it differently. It really is not based on product, but based on whether the bank use a SINGLE ENTITY to do HP or multiple ENTITIES to do HP, largely based on Personal or Business. ONLY when everything on the Entity matches to the DOT, from name to address to telephone number, would the HPs be merged.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 14, 2015 at 4:23 pm Reason: correct typo
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by manu4986
I have done multiple apps with Chase on same day for different products and it got combined to one Hard pull.
Whereas, same day apps for Barclay for different products created 2 hard pulls.
Same day personal and business apps from the same bank usually has a higher chance at different CB.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
I think generalization on how HPs are done is a dangerous thing. Each bank does it differently. It really is not based on product, but based on whether the bank use a SINGLE ENTITY to do HP or multiple ENTITIES to do HP, largely based on Personal or Business. ONLY when everything on the Entity matches to the DOT, from name to address to telephone number, would the HPs be merged.
sdsearch has posted elsewhere that, at least in the past, some banks would have a quota for one CB. Then when they used that quota up, they would switch to another one. Absolutely YMMV.

Edit: Now I'm upset. I just checked with Credit Sesame, and it shows 4 HPs in the past year; so that's TU. Two of those are from B of A, one June 2014, and one Jan 2015.

But my EXP account also shows B of A HP in Jan 2015 as well. So either B of A pulled different CBs for my multiple apps that day, or they pulled from both CBs. Now I'm going to have to pay to freeze EXP the next time I apply with B of A.

Edit: AFAIK, Credit Sesame didn't used to show HPs. At any rate, they do now. I see that B of A pulled both TU and EXP last May as well, and that was a single app. So they are repeatedly pulling 2 CBs for an AS app, that they then approve as a measly Plat. Not a happy camper at all....
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
sdsearch has posted elsewhere that, at least in the past, some banks would have a quota for one CB. Then when they used that quota up, they would switch to another one. Absolutely YMMV. .
I have not the slightest clue on that although I do believe the banks have contracts with each CB for the services - also the level of information they can see probably is also governed by their contracts. From experiences it seems Barclays sees the MOST information (or their reps are required to comb thru layers of information) while Citi the least (or cares the least). Chase seems to be in between.

Originally Posted by Brugge
Edit: Now I'm upset. I just checked with Credit Sesame, and it shows 4 HPs in the past year; so that's TU. Two of those are from B of A, one June 2014, and one Jan 2015.

But my EXP account also shows B of A HP in Jan 2015 as well. So either B of A pulled different CBs for my multiple apps that day, or they pulled from both CBs. Now I'm going to have to pay to freeze EXP the next time I apply with B of A.

Edit: AFAIK, Credit Sesame didn't used to show HPs. At any rate, they do now. I see that B of A pulled both TU and EXP last May as well, and that was a single app. So they are repeatedly pulling 2 CBs for an AS app, that they then approve as a measly Plat. Not a happy camper at all....
Read upthread - this has already mentioned by me and confirmed by at least one or two other posters - BofA pulled EX at application, but pulled TU when reallocation of CL or change of CL on cards, when there is time gap from app to the reallocation.

I first reported this when we found out from the disclosure page on husband's card 2 that the FICO was from TU, despite the rep told us there would NOT be a second HP because "they already did it at app." What the rep did not realize is, the system would automatically generate a HP when a reallocation is performed if it is NOT at the application time. It is considered as a request of CL I guess.

After I posted this, a poster confirmed that the same - App pulled from EXP, Reallocation pulled from TU.

In your situation because of the PLAT card to Signature card fiasco, the additional CL needed required a hard pull and that is from TU.

That is one more important reason why we advocate to call on the same day and avoid weekends when the recon dept is closed. It seems on same day's allocation there is no hard pull on CL matter, probably because the app is not considered final or at least before the nightly processing to finish a day's business.

At least that is the way I interpret it.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Statement credit posted automatically, on BOTH cards

Just a slight delay than before. Still well within 2 weeks after meeting spend.

Both cards see the credit today, April 15th. No intervention.

Summary of Data points:

Both cards were applied on March 24th. One by system an hour after submission with 15K, one by recon rep without need to split line. She just gave another 5K.

Card 2 arrived 2 days after approval, met spend on April 1, transaction posted on April 2. Historical data indicated the credit should show up 8 days later on April 10. (Had 2 cards in the household that were in this pattern even with the same DAYs of the week) It didn't. Instead, the credit shows up today April 15th - 5 days later than the 8 days gap on previous cards.

Card 1 arrived 7 days after approval due to system glitch, met spend on April 3rd, transaction posted on April 6th. Credit shows up today April 15th. A day later than the 8 days gap before.

Hope the above would help those waiting for theirs.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:41 pm

Just a slight delay than before. Still well within 2 weeks after meeting spend.

Both cards see the credit today, April 15th. No intervention.

Summary of Data points:

Both cards were applied on March 24th. One by system an hour after submission with 15K, one by recon rep without need to split line. She just gave another 5K.

Card 2 arrived 2 days after approval, met spend on April 1, transaction posted on April 2. Historical data indicated the credit should show up 8 days later on April 10. (Had 2 cards in the household that were in this pattern even with the same DAYs of the week) It didn't. Instead, the credit shows up today April 15th - 5 days later than the 8 days gap on previous cards.

Card 1 arrived 7 days after approval due to system glitch, met spend on April 3rd, transaction posted on April 6th. Credit shows up today April 15th. A day later than the 8 days gap before.

Hope the above would help those waiting for theirs.
Do you sockdrawer these now or cancel for an AF refund?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:56 pm

Approved for 2 cards last week 4/8

Got welcome email yesterday and points posted yesterday for ONE card.

Card 2 email campaign and bonus not yet posted, but both cards show on boa.com

They're pretty random, but I hope card #2's bonus shows up soon! Want to make a booking!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrmandel
Do you sockdrawer these now or cancel for an AF refund?
Sockdrawer for a while then try product conversion. Check the Balance Reward card (not sure if this is the right name). In the past I read people converted their AS to this one for a few quarters before they cancel.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
What the rep did not realize is, the system would automatically generate a HP when a reallocation is performed if it is NOT at the application time. It is considered as a request of CL I guess.

After I posted this, a poster confirmed that the same - App pulled from EXP, Reallocation pulled from TU.

In your situation because of the PLAT card to Signature card fiasco, the additional CL needed required a hard pull and that is from TU.

That is one more important reason why we advocate to call on the same day and avoid weekends when the recon dept is closed. It seems on same day's allocation there is no hard pull on CL matter, probably because the app is not considered final or at least before the nightly processing to finish a day's business.

At least that is the way I interpret it.
Well, in both cases everything was done on the day of application, which was a weekday. The CL increases were done in much less than an hour of the original application, and the HPs were recorded on the same day as the app, not at the time of the change from Plat to Sig 6 to 8 weeks later.

Next time I'm trying out the advice from some previous posts to freeze EXP, and hope that makes all 12 of my apps go to pending. Then ask the CSR to pull TU. It would be worth a few $ to keep them from pulling EXP, since everyone, including B of A as I just found out, other than Barclays pulls EXP for me.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dajoip
I just submitted 3 applications for this card this morning after freezing my Experian report last week (Chase, AMEX, Citi, and BoA all pull Experian in MI) - all went pending as expected. I called the Bi-lingual line and spoke to a very friendly/helpful rep, who informed me that all the apps had been declined because of the freeze, but quickly agreed to pull my Equifax report instead (which is only pulled by Discover in MI, and I only have one active inquiry from 11 months ago). Before today's apps, I had a BankAmericard Better Balance card with an $8k CL, and an existing AS card with a $13k CL ($21k total CL with BoA). The rep told me he couldn't approve me for any more credit (a bit of a surprise there, with a 797 Equifax score last month and perfect credit history), but he'd work with me to reallocate my limits. We reduced the Better Balance card to a $1k CL, the existing AS card to a $5k CL, and he then approved all 3 applications with the "leftover" $15k CL that we'd created. Couldn't be more impressed with the rep and his willingness to work through the process with me! Should be a fairly easy 75k AS miles, as well as $75 (assuming the correct application link is used, is the $100 credited on every approved app?) - I'd say that was easily worth the $10 fee for freezing Experian!
Quick update - I received two of the three cards this evening and there were a couple surprising developments (at least in my mind):
  • One of the cards has an expiration of 4/17, and the other has an expiration of 3/18 - both are Visa Signatures with $5k CLs, and they were approved within 5 minutes of each other...?
  • I received two "credit inquiry letters" as well - one with an Equifax score of 773 and the next with an Equifax score of 766 (both following last month's score of 797... also odd). If I understand correctly, they do actually pull your credit multiple times, but the inquiries just get merged by the CB as they assume they're duplicates. However, why the "big" (7) difference in scores when they were pulled one after the other, and also do the last two inquiries get tossed leaving me with whichever is the highest of the 3 scores I'll receive?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dajoip
Quick update - I received two of the three cards this evening and there were a couple surprising developments (at least in my mind):
  • One of the cards has an expiration of 4/17, and the other has an expiration of 3/18 - both are Visa Signatures with $5k CLs, and they were approved within 5 minutes of each other...?
  • I received two "credit inquiry letters" as well - one with an Equifax score of 773 and the next with an Equifax score of 766 (both following last month's score of 797... also odd). If I understand correctly, they do actually pull your credit multiple times, but the inquiries just get merged by the CB as they assume they're duplicates. However, why the "big" (7) difference in scores when they were pulled one after the other, and also do the last two inquiries get tossed leaving me with whichever is the highest of the 3 scores I'll receive?
Of course they pull HP on Each application. The Sole Reason you only see one HP is because all HPs are from identical entity (name, address, telephone number, whatever, of the entity that pulled, must matched exactly), the CB system then automatically merge them all into one.

Each HP would reduce the score by a few points, real time! (My 2 apps were submitted with may be 30 sec lapse.)

I believe you would receive disclosure letter on EACH of your 3 cards. On my 2 cards, the card 1 is 787, and the carad 2 is 782. I can tell the sequence because I do not need to split line - Card 1 is approved by system at 15K, Card 2 is approved by recon rep at an additional 5K.

Dont have a good explanation on the expiration dates though I suspect the card associated with higher score gets the longer expiration date. For me, Card 1 is 02/18, Card 2 is 10/17. My guess on the cards you just received, are Card 1 and Card 3, based on the difference in expiration dates AND difference in score. Your Card 2 should have a score in the middle of Card 1 and 3, and probably an expiration in 11/17.

Finally, unless your last month's EXP score is from BofA, you really cannot use it as a comparison - because there are over 50 models on the score calculation. Who knows which model BofA uses. You can only compare apple to apple.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 15, 2015 at 6:36 pm
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:39 pm

1.5 Year Credit History, score 711, income 60K only get approved a CL $1500 Platinum Plus Account.. I really want to know can I cancel this meaningless account?! Not useful any more..
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kachine
1.5 Year Credit History, score 711, income 60K only get approved a CL $1500 Platinum Plus Account.. I really want to know can I cancel this meaningless account?! Not useful any more..
I think you'll still get 5k points for that. Don't spend em' all in one place.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Of course they pull HP on Each application. The Sole Reason you only see one HP is because all HPs are from identical entity (name, address, telephone number, whatever, of the entity that pulled, must matched exactly), the CB system then automatically merge them all into one.

Each HP would reduce the score by a few points, real time! (My 2 apps were submitted with may be 30 sec lapse.)

I believe you would receive disclosure letter on EACH of your 3 cards. On my 2 cards, the card 1 is 787, and the carad 2 is 782. I can tell the sequence because I do not need to split line - Card 1 is approved by system at 15K, Card 2 is approved by recon rep at an additional 5K.

Dont have a good explanation on the expiration dates though I suspect the card associated with higher score gets the longer expiration date. For me, Card 1 is 02/18, Card 2 is 10/17. My guess on the cards you just received, are Card 1 and Card 3, based on the difference in expiration dates AND difference in score. Your Card 2 should have a score in the middle of Card 1 and 3, and probably an expiration in 11/17.

Finally, unless your last month's EXP score is from BofA, you really cannot use it as a comparison - because there are over 50 models on the score calculation. Who knows which model BofA uses. You can only compare apple to apple.
Yeah, I'm also hoping that the 2nd card I received is Card 3 and not Card 2, otherwise the 7-point drop between inquiries would seem a bit excessive. Or, does it probably not even matter since the last two pulls are disregarded by Equifax? Am I left with whichever score is shown on the disclosure from the first card (i.e. the highest score of the three)?

The 797 score I reported from last month is an Equifax score using the "FICO Bankcard Score 8 model" that I have access to from my Citi accounts. I've always thought that a FICO score was a FICO score, and as long as you weren't comparing a FICO to a "FAKO", you'd be comparing apples to apples. If each bank still uses different models for what they report as your official FICO scores for different bureaus, I guess this is all even more complicated than I thought and I just learned something new. So the FICO score/model that BoA uses is unknown to the general public (and can't be compared to "official" FICO scores reported by Citi)?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:16 am

I don't even bother keeping track of my HPs... I just apply when I feel it's right and suck it up when I get declined even with a call.

I record the datapoint and use it to estimate my next cycle.
Reason I do this is because I tend to open 2 Citi cards every 70 days or so and mix in another bank card on one of those app days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.