Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Good Answer (in Sam Kinison Voice) and thank you your answer helps, I guess I was just thinking out load.
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Bottom line depends on your home airport, your travel goals, and the service either airline might offer to you. All else being equal, you can get 40K US miles for a first purchase versus 25K for opening the BOA card and then having to spend $7500 in six months to get 15K more. I like low spend cards over high spend cards unless I have a specific use for the miles/points I can earn with a higher spend card.

Your more general questions regarding an app-o-rama, including the SPG card (whose transfer ratio is generally 1-1, but 1-2 with United, with a 25% bonus for all airlines for each block of 20K Starpoints transferred), would probably be better answered in either the Credit Card or MilesBuzz forums than in this thread that's really focused on the US card.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:53 am
BCF

Programs: AA, US, WN, Marriot, Hilton
Can I use one companion ticket with one paid ticket and another companion with a different paid ticket or the two companion tickets should redeemed together?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: US, HH
Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but noticed this today:

The offers for the US Mastercard via mail and email always have bonus miles up to 40K (30K and you need to do a balance transfer to get the additional 10K). For me anyway.

Today I actually noticed that the math for "your miles" and "your miles with a US card" didn't work out to 40K but 45K. Turns out the tiny link in the US website when logged in and looking at your miles balance, takes you to a 45K offer (35K with 10K for transfer). All the rest of the conditions and terms stayed the same. But this offer also specifies 2 miles for USAirways purchases, which the paper offers didn't. Maybe I just missed it in the fine print but I looked and couldn't find it.

So actually a better offer than being "pre-selected" or clicking on the generic card offer.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 1:39 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GrjApp
Today I actually noticed that the math for "your miles" and "your miles with a US card" didn't work out to 40K but 45K. Turns out the tiny link in the US website when logged in and looking at your miles balance, takes you to a 45K offer (35K with 10K for transfer). All the rest of the conditions and terms stayed the same.
Ok, thank you for noting this, however... the offer linked here is an "up to 60k" offer - which is 40k after first use plus 10k with transfer (and 10k on anniversary).

Isn't that better?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: US, HH
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Ok, thank you for noting this, however... the offer linked here is an "up to 60k" offer - which is 40k after first use plus 10k with transfer (and 10k on anniversary).

Isn't that better?
It certainly is but it comes up as Chairman's only, which I'm not. I forgot I'm on this thread and not a more general US card thread. If a mod can move it to a more appropriate home, that would be great!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
It certainly is but it comes up as Chairman's only, which I'm not. I forgot I'm on this thread and not a more general US card thread. If a mod can move it to a more appropriate home, that would be great!
Oh, everyone on this thread is simply ignoring that clause. Including USAirways.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:27 pm

you dont need to be a chairman to get the card. I don't have any status with us airways and got the bonus twice.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by debwany24
you dont need to be a chairman to get the card. I don't have any status with us airways and got the bonus twice.
Moi aussi.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Oh, everyone on this thread is simply ignoring that clause. Including USAirways.
As well as Barclays I may add.

Originally Posted by debwany24
I signed up US Airway's FF account minutes before applying the card. Instant approval. Hope to get the double dip in due course like some have reported.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:03 am

Annual Miles - Keeper Card?

After scanning this forum, I've seen a few people state that they have canceled or are considering canceling this card just after the 10,000 bonus points post, and before the $89 annual fee.

I always considered this card a keeper with the 10K mile annual bonus. Who knows if a card in the future would offer any such annual bonus, and it seems that there is a tightening of churning possibilities across the board. I don't really fly USAir, but recently I was re-ticketed on them and I was happy to get my priority boarding that day and space for my carry-ons - and I went to the lounge for free with my annual one-day pass. Are there others who consider this card a keeper as long as the terms don't change?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by fierydragon
After scanning this forum, I've seen a few people state that they have canceled or are considering canceling this card just after the 10,000 bonus points post, and before the $89 annual fee.

I always considered this card a keeper with the 10K mile annual bonus. Who knows if a card in the future would offer any such annual bonus, and it seems that there is a tightening of churning possibilities across the board. I don't really fly USAir, but recently I was re-ticketed on them and I was happy to get my priority boarding that day and space for my carry-ons - and I went to the lounge for free with my annual one-day pass. Are there others who consider this card a keeper as long as the terms don't change?
I'd say that most consider it a keeper, except for the fact that canceling might reopen possibilities to get the card again down the line. Getting miles for less than a cent apiece is a good deal.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: A few
I've decided to keep the card. Many reasons - NO reports of anyone getting a third card, and plenty of reports of people never being able to open up new accounts after closing. The 10k posted seamlessly. The 5k discounts on domestic redemptions is something we have taken advantage of. And if grand slam ever shows up, it is an easy hit.

So sorry there will be no third card test from me having read most recent reports
Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
NO reports of anyone getting a third card, and plenty of reports of people never being able to open up new accounts after closing.
Well, here's the report you're looking for. I've had this card 3 times in the last 18 months, cancelling each time before re-applying:

35K on 3/6/11
40K on 11/14/11
40K on 6/10/12

Additionally, on the last card I got an additional 15K for $1250 spent in 3 consecutive months. My wife will be applying for her 3rd card in 18 months in Sept, so I can report on any changes in policy.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
Well, here's the report you're looking for. I've had this card 3 times in the last 18 months, cancelling each time before re-applying:

35K on 3/6/11
40K on 11/14/11
40K on 6/10/12

Additionally, on the last card I got an additional 15K for $1250 spent in 3 consecutive months. My wife will be applying for her 3rd card in 18 months in Sept, so I can report on any changes in policy.
oh hey cheers mate! yes that is the first confirmed report i have seen. and now you have thrown a wrench (or spanner!) in the works.

let me know how it goes for wife, my next churn is scheduled for sept 23rd (yes i wait until exactly 3 months + 1 day from date of last inquiry registering from previous round) and if reports are good, i will go for it too.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn

35K on 3/6/11
40K on 11/14/11
40K on 6/10/12
How long did you wait to reapply for the card after cancelling? My anniversary for my first US Air card is 9/10, and I was hoping to cancel after the 10,000 miles post and reapply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.