Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:17 am

What's the minimum time people have waited between cards (and did you cancel when you got the second card?) I'm thinking about an off-peak trip to South America in March and I'd need 60k miles, and this card only gives 40k.

I do have a business, so I could apply for the biz version, but it only gives 25k. Obviously that would put me over the hump for this trip but if I can get another 40k I'd prefer that. I got this card in April.

(If it's too risky to apply within 4-5 months, then I'll just get the biz version and churn this next year, but if people have had success with a "short term" churn I'd be interested to hear it.)

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
Originally Posted by crimson12
What's the minimum time people have waited between cards (and did you cancel when you got the second card?)
I received first USair MC on 9/29/11 and have not cancelled. Got 2nd MC on 4/20/12. Had to make a call and said I wanted to segregate expenses. No problem, quick and easy.

On first card I made only a couple of charges and received offer of 15k bonus for spending $1250 for three consecutive months. On second card, same thing - only a couple of charges, and just received 15k bonus offer for spending $750 during Aug-Sept-Oct (calendar months, not billing cycle)
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:40 am

Thanks RRW. And I assume you kept the first card open when you applied for the second?

(This may be moot because I can't seem to find any off peak J seats to South America anyway! Sheesh.)
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
And I assume you kept the first card open when you applied for the second?
Yup.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:02 am

Thanks RRW. And I assume you kept the first card open when you applied for the second?

(This may be moot because I can't seem to find any off peak J seats to South America anyway! Sheesh.)
You have to search for routes flown on US metal; off-peak doesn't apply to partner travel. I see a bunch of economy options for Charlotte to Rio in March off peak, as an example.

edit: just saw you were looking for J. That does tend to disappear quickly, unfortunately.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by dagaetch
You have to search for routes flown on US metal; off-peak doesn't apply to partner travel. I see a bunch of economy options for Charlotte to Rio in March off peak, as an example.

edit: just saw you were looking for J. That does tend to disappear quickly, unfortunately.
Yeah. Nothing in J in March or May. I may have to suck it up and fly economy...
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior
I received first USair MC on 9/29/11 and have not cancelled. Got 2nd MC on 4/20/12. Had to make a call and said I wanted to segregate expenses. No problem, quick and easy.

)
I am also planning to apply for 2nd card in about 2 -3 weeks.
Just need to know what should be the plan after my 2nd card.
Should I cancel (or not) my 1st card a few months from now and wait 6mts and apply for 3rd card or wait even longer before applying. What seems to be the best method for applying beyond the 2nd card?? Thanks
PM me.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:21 pm

If I receive the 10k anniversary miles and then cancel the card, do I get any of the annual fee back?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by MkDL426
If I receive the 10k anniversary miles and then cancel the card, do I get any of the annual fee back?
I cancelled my 1st card after the 10K anniversary posted but before I had to pay the annual fee. The 10K stayed. I think you have a certain number of days (45?) to cancel and get a refund after the fee is due.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
I cancelled my 1st card after the 10K anniversary posted but before I had to pay the annual fee. The 10K stayed. I think you have a certain number of days (45?) to cancel and get a refund after the fee is due.
How long has it been since you cancelled? I am certainly interested in doing the same. Did you cancel after your 10,000 posted but before the annual fee or just after the annual fee?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Data point - spouse received card in 12/2011. Still have the card and applied for second card and was denied. Was not able to convince recon line that second card was needed. We'll see if I have any better luck when I try for mine.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by zeddy218
Data point - spouse received card in 12/2011. Still have the card and applied for second card and was denied. Was not able to convince recon line that second card was needed. We'll see if I have any better luck when I try for mine.
Wow very surprising. I think this is the first I've actually heard of this. Are there any other reasons the card may have been declined? (Income, credit score, recently opened cards, etc.?)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
This happened to us also. Keep calling, someone else will likely approve you too.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:48 pm

Looks like the churnability of this card is coming to an end. I had planned to apply for my 2nd card soon (hopefully) and looks like it's forget about going for a 3rd card later on.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by sweetz_21_83
This happened to us also. Keep calling, someone else will likely approve you too.
keep us informed if you are successful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.