Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:47 pm

My wife and I both got our 2nd US Airways cards last week without cancelling our first (received those in June '13). Figured we'd stock up on US Airways points so they'd transfer into American...

Should we shoot for a 3rd card each in 6 months if these are still around?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by oyouno
Reason for denial was that I already have adequate credit from them already.

How long do I wait to try to apply for the 2nd US card again?
My dad got the same reason for denial on his 2n USair card and 2 days later was approved for the Barclay arrival Card so the reason seems like BS.

No idea, 11 months is plenty of time
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oyouno
Reason for denial was that I already have adequate credit from them already.
Originally Posted by flyer4512
My dad got the same reason for denial on his 2n USair card and 2 days later was approved for the Barclay arrival Card so the reason seems like BS.
Are you guys sure that's what it said? You have to read very carefully. When they say you have the "maximum credit product of this type", they don't mean that you have adqueate credit from them already, they mean that you have the maximum of 1 US Airways card (that they've determined you can have at a time). But if you don't read it very carefully, yes, it can sound as if they're saying you have the maximum amount of credit.

(It's so much simpler with Citi, which cleanly spell out "You currently have or have recently had this same type of card" or "This offer was only for first-time applicants" or something like that.)

Not quoting the US Bank reason exactly can lead to lots of confusion (because they use very similar wording for very dissimilar reasons). So please try to have the letter in front of you and repeat exactly what it says word for word, because the slightest bit of reprhasing or abbreviating can change the meaning completely.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingRabbit
My wife and I both got our 2nd US Airways cards last week without cancelling our first (received those in June '13). Figured we'd stock up on US Airways points so they'd transfer into American...

Should we shoot for a 3rd card each in 6 months if these are still around?
Congrat! do you guys use the first cards often?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
So please try to have the letter in front of you and repeat exactly what it says word for word, because the slightest bit of reprhasing or abbreviating can change the meaning completely.
We have reviewed your application and determined that we are unable to approve you for a US airway Dividend Miles Account based on the following reason(s)

'Sufficient credit is available on your account issued by Barclays Bank Delaware. "

Credit score 804

It can be interpreted many ways, since he got an Arrival Card 2 days later I'd say it's safe to say it was a churning issue.

Edited to get the EXACT wording and add data points

Data points

My dad had one Usair card open when he applied

His card card came with a $15,500 CL that we lowered to $5,000 6 months prior to applying

My first card also has a $5K limit per lowering it, I was approved for my 2nd US card a week earlier with the same timeframe between apps

Arrival card approved with CL over 10K ( don't have exact amount in front of me) days after being rejected for US card

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 31, 2013 at 10:56 am
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
ugh.. this company makes me crazy! so I applied for a second USAir on Dec. 20th. having the first opened and used since Feb.
I was denied via status check then I called and was told I had the same card already and they wouldn't budge about splitting the CL. I had been denied back in Sept for the World Arrival due to too many inquiries in the last 12 mos.
So I have yet to receive the letter stating the denial which would give me more information.
I know that they take notes of what was said but I would hate to call them again and inquire and result in another hard pull. I grow impatient with this company :-(

ETA: today received their denial letter states: Sufficient credit is available on your account issued by Barclays Bank Delaware, Credit score 809
Key factors that adversely affected your credit score:
Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high.
Too many inquiries last 12 months.
Consumer reporting agency: Transunion

Last edited by duranza; Dec 31, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by duranza
ugh.. this company makes me crazy! so I applied for a second USAir on Dec. 20th. having the first opened and used since Feb.
I was denied via status check then I called and was told I had the same card already and they wouldn't budge about splitting the CL. I had been denied back in Sept for the World Arrival due to too many inquiries in the last 12 mos.
So I have yet to receive the letter stating the denial which would give me more information.
I know that they take notes of what was said but I would hate to call them again and inquire and result in another hard pull. I grow impatient with this company :-(
I had similar pattern. Calls and second calls made no difference. After a 5-6 month period of no apps anywhere, I applied for the Arrival card and was approved instantly.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
I'm happy to report that today, I got instantly approved for a 2nd card having already another one still open.
A few months earlier, I was repeatedly denied for different reasons: already having the same card, no elite status, already sufficient credit granted, too many recent apps, etc. Their Reconsideration Dept wouldn't budge either. Those denials didn't result in any hard credit pulls though.
Not sure what formula Barclays uses to approve apps but credit worthiness is not enough as I have excellent credit and only 1 credit pull in Transunion, from where they pull in my state. They even gave me a 12K line for my new card when before, they wouldn't even split my existing line from another one of their cards.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
I'm happy to report that today, I got instantly approved for a 2nd card having already another one still open.
A few months earlier, I was repeatedly denied for different reasons: already having the same card, no elite status, already sufficient credit granted, too many recent apps, etc. Their Reconsideration Dept wouldn't budge either. Those denials didn't result in any hard credit pulls though.
Not sure what formula Barclays uses to approve apps but credit worthiness is not enough as I have excellent credit and only 1 credit pull in Transunion, from where they pull in my state. They even gave me a 12K line for my new card when before, they wouldn't even split my existing line from another one of their cards.
Welcome to the Barclay club. No one as yet knows what triggers a denial for one and not another when both may be in a same situation.
I have posted many times how inconsistant they are:
Using Data from myself, my wife and my brother. (Its a good example as all 3 of us often apply for the same cards about the same time frame--within 2-3 weeks apart and all 3 of us have about the same Fico scores--all between 760-790).
We all had card #1 closed about 9 mths ago. We all Applied for Card #2 while card #1 was still open and all got approved-, all 3 of us still have card #2 open and waiting for the 1 yr anniversary bonus.
My income and my wifes income is the same as we both report the same amt.on the apps. My brother's income is somewhat less than ours.
I applied for card #3 with card #2 still open (card #1 was closed about 9 mths prior) and It was instant approved. Wife applied about 2 weeks before me for card #3 and denied--Barclay said b/c already have the same card--calls to barclay wont budge.
My brother applied about 1 week after me for card #3 and was instant approved.
So like I said its often the luck of the draw with this bank. Sometimes seems to be random. best to just apply and keep fingers crossed for instant approval as anything else is a fight uphill (or more like up a mountain) if have to call their recon.

Good luck to all in the New Year
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by dangw20
I read through the thread again and don't see an answer anywhere, sorry if I'm somehow missing it.

The comments above appear to be about canceling after the 10k anniversary miles post but before the annual fee posts. I'm referring to the award fee waiver that you get for 12 months after spending $25k on the card in a calendar year. I'm not sure if the card has to remain open to continue receiving the award fee waiver or if I can cancel and still receive the waiver on award bookings until the 12 month period is over.
Reading thru the T&C's I would say you would probably not be eligible for the award fee waiver if you cancel the card. Bolding mine...

"Beginning 10 business days after the Purchase Requirement has been met and for 12 months thereafter, the US Airways Award Processing Fee will be waived provided the customer meets the Dividend Miles Select Eligibility Criteria above."

"Dividend Miles Select Eligibility Criteria: The Primary Cardmember is eligible to receive the 5,000 Mile Award Discount when each of the following conditions have been met: (a) the applicable Account remains open and in good standing...If you close your Account or change from an Account with an annual fee to an Account with no-annual fee, you are no longer eligible to receive this benefit."
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:53 pm

What will happen to the anniversary 10K bonus points after UA/AA miles merge?
Does that mean anniversary 10K AA bonus miles? Forever?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by muji
Welcome to Flyertalk, kip1124.

I would not wait. No one knows how much longer this offer will stay open. Why risk missing out on it; go for it now is my advice. If you are turned down for the second card, you can always call the reconsideration line and tell them you need a second card for keeping track of your business-only expenses.
Thanks!

Data point:

US Airways Card #1 - instant approval on July 2013. My first Barclays card ever. Sock drawer after initial purchase, but offered Nov/Dec/Jan 15k promo. Been spending $750/month in each of those months.

US Airways Card #2 - instant approval on December 2013. Even higher CL than #1.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by milaohu
No, because US Airways card will not be around forever.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by milaohu
Once it is official that Citi takes over for AA (and US Air since they will follow AA program) then barclay cards will end offer and have nothing to do with miles toward US Air. Remember that ALL CC/banks and companies have the right to change terms and agreements/policies as things changes.
So for those who have anniversary dates soon( within next few months) then yes, will get the 10k bonus but for those who have dates much later in the coming year--my best guess is NO as program may have ended.--IMO
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:40 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sharka
Once it is official that Citi takes over for AA (and US Air since they will follow AA program) then barclay cards will end offer and have nothing to do with miles toward US Air.
Perhaps a comparative case study is in order here. When Virgin America ended their relationship with Barclays, cardholders got a notice a few months in advance that their cards would convert to Arrival cards, some with 10k signup bonus and some with NONE - no other options.

See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...ture-dead.html

It's one of the reasons I moved the Arrival up in my calendar - don't want any issues like "why should we approve you? we already gave you two of these via conversion"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.