Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by vltg
No I assume they were successful but I believe they said they'd report back either way and I have a trip to Sweden next week so its more to ease my mind
I was not successful; by the time I made it to LAX on Monday, all signs posted to not being able to make it into ARN so didn't even take a chance with checking in. I changed my flight to ZRH only.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal

I also tested negative for the coronavirus.
In newark, I was again asked for the vax card and the SpTH QR code. They merely glanced at both, then waved me through. I’m on the flight about to start the ocean crossing. one more hurdle at the health checkpoint in a few hours!
Old Sep 10, 2021, 5:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DFW_CK
I was not successful; by the time I made it to LAX on Monday, all signs posted to not being able to make it into ARN so didn't even take a chance with checking in. I changed my flight to ZRH only.
So you didn’t even attempt it.

Thanks for the update about what you did (and did not do).

What made you think you would be unsuccessful? Others seem to have succeeded, as the Swedish border control police process foreign arrivals — even for COVID-19-related immigration purposes — based on the last country transited before arriving in Sweden.

Since you are admissible into Switzerland and would have been coming into Sweden from Switzerland, Sweden would have allowed you in under any COVID-19 related conditions applicable to Switzerland-residing Swiss citizens who arrive in Sweden.

Originally Posted by Swedish police website
Please note that if you transit in an EEA* country or Nordic country and is processed for immigration there, your entry will be subject to the regulations for entry from that country when entering Sweden, not your original departure country.
https://polisen.se/en/the-swedish-po...QQmNvsHFiD8z9E

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 10, 2021 at 5:29 am
Old Sep 10, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
France joins the party and moves US to “orange” list

Effective Sunday 12 Sept, only vaccinated Americans can enter France for non-essential reasons and not provide a test. Unvaccinated prohibited from entry for non-essential purposes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexled...h=487c3147d125
Old Sep 10, 2021, 9:21 am

If you have the proof of recovery letter you should be good. It's either vax card -or- negative COVID test within 72 hours -or- proof of recovery from COVID.

I'm waiting for my first flight now. Couldn't get a boarding pass to Barcelona on the app, but when I walked up to the counter she was able to check me in for that flight. She asked for everything I submitted (vax card and QR code from the SpTH app). She couldn't check my bags through because my connection time is 10 minutes longer than their max connection time, but that's United shenana.

I also tested negative for the coronavirus.
Can someone please confirm this regarding travel to Spain with proof of recovery letter? I’m getting conflicting answers.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
I was one of the first off the plane in Barcelona. The place was a ghost town, but they had a corridor set up immediately after passport control where they specifically asked to show QR codes and health related docs. They scanned your code at the end of this corridor. Conspicuously absent was any notion of temperature checks. Once you scanned the QR code they thanked you and sent you on your way.

And so that’s how it worked for me. Your mileage, of course, might vary.
Statman and Flying Machine like this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Effective Sunday 12 Sept, only vaccinated Americans can enter France for non-essential reasons and not provide a test. Unvaccinated prohibited from entry for non-essential purposes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexled...h=487c3147d125
Hope this becomes the standard. Unfortunate for those that can’t be vaccinated but this might not be the best of times for them to travel.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Got this in an email today for our Madrid flight on the 14th. There's a lot more, but this pretty much spells it out. Second and third lines are us...the bolding is not mine.
-------------------------------------------------
Entry requirements for Spain
Fully Vaccinated Passengers

Fully vaccinated passengers are exempt from presenting a negative COVID-19 test result.

British nationals and residents must also present a vaccination certificate. If not vaccinated, please see the requirements below.

Important: Residents of the USA and Israel can only enter Spain with a vaccination certificate. Non-vaccinated passengers can only travel in case of essential trips with some testing requirements. Please see below.

Travelers must bring proof of vaccination if arriving from a high-risk zone – it will need to be shown at the first embarkation point. The proof of vaccination must comply with Spain's requirements.

Passengers must ensure they meet the requirements to be considered fully vaccinated previously described.

Other Passengers

Before departure:

All non-vaccinated passengers residents in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland coming directly from this country, must present a negative COVID-19 test result.
  • Test type accepted: NAAT test (PCR, LAMP or TMA).
  • Time window: 72 hours prior to their arrival in Spain (considering local time).
  • Applicable age: Travelers 12 years or older.
  • Keep in mind: Antigen tests and recovery certificates are not accepted for these passengers.
Important: Residents of the USA and Israel can only enter Spain with a vaccination certificate. Non-vaccinated passengers can only travel in case of essential trips with some testing requirements. Please see below.

All non-vaccinated passengers residents in the United States of America and Israel in essential trips, must present a negative COVID-19 test result.
  • Test type accepted: PCR or antigen test.
  • Time window: 72 hours (for PCR) and 48 hours (for antigen), both before arrival in Spain.
  • Applicable age: Travelers 12 years or older.
  • Keep in mind: Other tests and recovery certificates are not accepted for these passengers.
All non-vaccinated passengers arr iving in Spain from a high-risk zone are required to present a medical certificate with a negative COVID-19 test result. Passengers arriving from any country or region not included on the list of high risk zones (except for the UK, see requirements above) are exempt from presenting a negative COVID-19 test result.

There are several testing options for eligible passengers traveling to Spain.

OPTION 1: Negative COVID-19 PCR test result .

OPTION 2: Negative COVID -19 antigen test result .

OPTION 3: Recovery certificate issued maximum 180 days.
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 5:27 am

I was one of the first off the plane in Barcelona. The place was a ghost town, but they had a corridor set up immediately after passport control where they specifically asked to show QR codes and health related docs. They scanned your code at the end of this corridor. Conspicuously absent was any notion of temperature checks. Once you scanned the QR code they thanked you and sent you on your way.

And so that’s how it worked for me. Your mileage, of course, might vary.
You didn't say this specifically (unless I missed it) but the "health related docs" for you was your CDC card?
I'm getting a little grief from the SO (a nurse in infectious diseases no less) about us getting a Covid test the morning before we leave. I say we don't need it cuz we're vaxed and have the CDC card as well as the NY Excelsior pass. Since the blurb I posted from Iberia says "vaccination certificate". I assuming what we have is enough. They know we're not EU and shouldn't have the EU digital cert. Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fredc84
You didn't say this specifically (unless I missed it) but the "health related docs" for you was your CDC card?
I'm getting a little grief from the SO (a nurse in infectious diseases no less) about us getting a Covid test the morning before we leave. I say we don't need it cuz we're vaxed and have the CDC card as well as the NY Excelsior pass. Since the blurb I posted from Iberia says "vaccination certificate". I assuming what we have is enough. They know we're not EU and shouldn't have the EU digital cert. Thanks.
Given the current situation and speed at which requirements can change, I take a proctored Binax Antigen test before departing for an INTL destination even if it is clear a test isn't needed. I do this for 2 reasons: Make sure I don't test positive and to avoid any possible confusion with the check in agent who might wrongly insist a test is needed.
lincolnjkc and FiveMileFinal like this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TomMM
Given the current situation and speed at which requirements can change, I take a proctored Binax Antigen test before departing for an INTL destination even if it is clear a test isn't needed. I do this for 2 reasons: Make sure I don't test positive and to avoid any possible confusion with the check in agent who might wrongly insist a test is needed.
Ditto. I'm in flight back from the EU now--my wife and I got CVS drive-through tested before hand just to be safe. Even though it wasn't needed in the end with how fast things in the EU are changing I'd so it again...heck, on the 8th, while we were in country Switzerland announced tighter requirements, taking effect Monday.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Belgium Update (From US)

It looks like if you are vaccinated and have a negative PCR test within 72 hours of arrival you don't have to test on arrival and quarantine until there is a result:

Travellers who are fully vaccinated and can prove this with a recognised vaccination certificate and who have a negative test certificate upon arrival, as mentioned above, do not have to get tested on day 1 or quarantine. If you return from a red zone, you must get tested on day 7 without having to quarantine
Old Sep 11, 2021, 2:35 pm

Another question for those from the US using their CDC card when going to Europe (or anywhere that will accept it)...are you showing them the actual card or have folks been able to get buy showing a photo of it on their phones? I'd hate to lose the card and have to get it replaced...can't imagine that's too easy.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fredc84
Another question for those from the US using their CDC card when going to Europe (or anywhere that will accept it)...are you showing them the actual card or have folks been able to get buy showing a photo of it on their phones? I'd hate to lose the card and have to get it replaced...can't imagine that's too easy.
You could take a picture/scan and print.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by TomMM
You could take a picture/scan and print.

I’m going to add I have my original card and a laminated version that was done at Office Depot complementary. I wonder if the laminated card will work and I can keep the other in a safer place (but carry it with me just in case)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.