Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by TomMM
You could take a picture/scan and print.
Yea, but wouldn't look rather unofficial? I'm just wondering about the reaction if I show up with something like that. BUT, if I do take my original, I will take your suggestion and scan it at home as a backup.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by fredc84
You didn't say this specifically (unless I missed it) but the "health related docs" for you was your CDC card?
I'm getting a little grief from the SO (a nurse in infectious diseases no less) about us getting a Covid test the morning before we leave. I say we don't need it cuz we're vaxed and have the CDC card as well as the NY Excelsior pass. Since the blurb I posted from Iberia says "vaccination certificate". I assuming what we have is enough. They know we're not EU and shouldn't have the EU digital cert. Thanks.
Yes, I used my original CDC vax card as proof of being vaxt. That and my QR code was enough to clear the last hurdle after I got into Spain, but they were far more concerned about the QR code.

I did get a rapid NAAT test as a backup and to determine if I should even go, even as I haven’t yet had COVID and I’m vaxt. If i tested positive, I would have delayed my trip to fight off the virus. Also wanted to cover the case where they decided to want both vax proof and a negative test.

But as it stands right now. according to the MOH website, if you’re from the US and you’re vaxt, you’re in, pending review from the local IO. If you’re not vaxt, you either need to present a negative NAAT-style test 72 hours prior to arrival or proof that you’ve gotten over COVID in the last 180 days. If you have neither of these and you can’t prove you’re essential, you have to stay out.

My question now that I’m here is…where and how do I get the EU-standard proof of vax?

Last edited by FiveMileFinal; Sep 11, 2021 at 3:45 pm
Old Sep 11, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea, but wouldn't look rather unofficial? I'm just wondering about the reaction if I show up with something like that. BUT, if I do take my original, I will take your suggestion and scan it at home as a backup.
I am not aware of any requirement for producing a vax card in its original form. In fact there are a few airlines that allow you to upload a digital version of your docs for verification to enable online check in. One question I have is will a US carrier will accept an EU vax certificate. Now that I have converted my CDC card to an EU cert I plan on trying that for my flight to CDG next week.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 3:47 pm

I am not aware of any requirement for producing a vax card in its original form. In fact there are a few airlines that allow you to upload a digital version of your docs for verification to enable online check in. One question I have is will a US carrier will accept an EU vax certificate. Now that I have converted my CDC card to an EU cert I plan on trying that for my flight to CDG next week.
The United app is one such app. They reviewed and approved all of my information days before the flight.

And still asked me to produce the documentation at every gate.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 7:20 pm

Now that I have converted my CDC card to an EU cert I plan on trying that for my flight to CDG next week.
How did you do that?
Old Sep 11, 2021, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
My question now that I’m here is…where and how do I get the EU-standard proof of vax?
See this post:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33505897-post7.html
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
One question I have is will a US carrier will accept an EU vax certificate. Now that I have converted my CDC card to an EU cert I plan on trying that for my flight to CDG next week.
I flew Delta JFK-NCE last week and showed the check-in agent my QR code/European app Covid Cert (I have both the Swiss and French ones now) instead of the CDC card and she accepted it after looking curiously at it for a bit. I also showed her the app page with my vax info on it so I think that clinched the deal. On the European entry side, they far prefer to deal with the QR code/app Covid Cert, so I have not shown my CDC card at European passport control for a while now…
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:34 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
The United app is one such app. They reviewed and approved all of my information days before the flight.

And still asked me to produce the documentation at every gate.
Yep, that was my experience. I travelled to Germany yesterday. Upload vaccination cert the day before in their travel center. I had already uploaded it on the last Germany trip 4 weeks prior. This time I also uploaded the German Einreiseverordnung certificate as well. But I still got a message that I needed to check in with the airport staff. Also, more annoyingly, I was not told what, if any, problem there was with my docs. It sure would be nice to know (Hey United: I'm talking to you....). Anyways, got to PDX, agent says use the machine. I say it's going to ask for you. They say (very impolitely) not it won't. It does. They didn't even know what they were supposed to be checking, but I helped them read their own kiosk screen Good to go. Get to ORD. I have to re-check at the gate to get my docs verified, again. Then another doc check on boarding. Then a doc check again at the arrival jetbridge. And then in immigration. There has to be an easier way!

Last edited by timfountain; Sep 12, 2021 at 10:19 am
Old Sep 12, 2021, 3:22 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Another question for those from the US using their CDC card when going to Europe (or anywhere that will accept it)...are you showing them the actual card or have folks been able to get buy showing a photo of it on their phones? I'd hate to lose the card and have to get it replaced...can't imagine that's too easy.
I keep my vax card paperclipped to the back cover of my passport which everyone who cared seemed to appreciate (and I can't think of an instance on my most recent trip -- technically still in progress though I'm back in the US -- where someone only wanted vaccination without identification. Given all of the differences in local rules, customs, and understandings I'm not sure I'd rely on just a photo for anything that mattered -- it might work 99% of the time but if you're in the 1% ....

That said I really wish there was a system like drivers licenses that recorded this in some common/well-known data storage/retrieval system that made replacement more certain and me less petrified of losing the oddly-sized piece of paper. I understand in Ohio my vaccination (at CVS) was maybe probably possibly reported to a state database operated by Ohio Department of Health... but ODH is remarkably useless for obtaining a copy of that (as I understand it, you have to print a form, fill it in by hand, and then mail it to Columbus)...no email, no faxes...what century are we in?
Old Sep 12, 2021, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by timfountain
Yep, that was my experience. I travelled to Germany yesterday. Upload vaccination cert the day before in their travel center. I had already uploaded it on the last Germany trip 4 eek prior. This time I also uploaded the German Einreiseverordnung certificate as well. But I still got a message that I needed to check in with the airport staff. Also, more annoyingly, I was not told what, if any, problem there was with my docs. It sure would be nice to know (Hey United: I'm talking to you....). Anyways, got to PDX, agent says use the machine. I say it's going to ask for you. They say (very impolitely) not it won't. It does. They didn't even know what they were supposed to be checking, but I helped them read their own kiosk screen Good to go. Get to ORD. I have to re-check at the gate to get my docs verified, again. Then another doc check on boarding. Then a doc check again at the arrival jetbridge. And then in immigration. There has to be an easier way!
I lay blame on United. There’s no point in creating all this infrastructure if your people are going to ignore it anyway. I fully expected Spain to want the documentation when I got here, but they were less concerned than United was, except for the QR code. Made no sense. Uploading that information and having it reviewed by a human should have let me sail through. I got asked for documents on a domestic flight, but they couldn’t check my bags all the way through because “computer says no”. But I get why United are acting like border control agents - they don’t want to have to foot the expense of carrying me back across had Spain turned me away.

Last edited by FiveMileFinal; Sep 12, 2021 at 5:14 am
Old Sep 12, 2021, 5:51 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
But I get why United are acting like border control agents - they don’t want to have to foot the expense of carrying me back across had Spain turned me away.
Technically under the COC they can bill you the cost of the (last minute...) Ticket if you are refused entry. They're more concerned about the fines they get hit with... IIRC UA at IAD was charged something like $10k by Germany for allowing passengers with unsigned passports to board...imagine something of greater actual consequences....

As the counter experience, our trip last week (UA CLE to ORD, LH ORD to FRA, LX FRA to GVA) my wife and I did the travel ready center and the kiosk just split out boarding passes and bag tags... The agent I was chatting with (a good friend) seemed absolutely shocked that she didn't need to do anything at all. Of course LH at ORD wanted to reconfirm passport and vaccination but I would expect no less.

At least one country (IIRC the UK) has said their border officers do not need to verify the docs for every individual passenger because that's the airlines responsibility, instead preferring to spot check medium and low risk countries.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
We are converting ours in Madrid at "International Vaccination Center of the Community of Madrid , located at Calle General Oraa 15" on Monday. I got the info from someone in the forums, either this thread or another one. gudugan helped with the info in this thread Anyone received EU Covid QR in Spain with CDC Card You have to make an appointment ahead of time. Our appointments are only for 7 minutes, so It's very fast. That might be the same thread Yllanes posted:
Originally Posted by Yllanes
I'll try to get back here with our experiences in Spain and Portugal, but I tend to disconnect when on vacay...esp when eating tapas and drinking tons, lol.
Statman and FiveMileFinal like this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 8:28 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

We did some recent clean-up of posts which strayed from this thread's basic topic: discussing the EU entry rules of travelers entering from the U.S. (emphasis added).

We also deleted some posts replying to the off-topic posts. Now back to the thread's topic. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, for the Coronavirus and Travel Moderator team.
Stickboy46 and fredc84 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Hoping someone can help for an upcoming trip next week. I'll be going to Greece for 5 days and have a flight booked RT ATH-SOF (Bulgaria).

My question is if I'll be allowed in SOF as I'll be traveling from Greece. I'm a dual US/Italy citizen, so I suppose I can swap to my Italian passport if need be. Relevant Bulgaria requirement from us state department below. Thanks all!

Please note that the current Bulgarian entry requirements are based on the country of departure only—not on citizenship and not on countries through which you transit. If you are departing from a Red Zone country, you must meet one of the listed exceptions to enter—the fact that you are vaccinated or have a negative COVID test result is not considered an exception. That means U.S. Citizens starting their travel from Green or Orange Zones may enter Bulgaria under the conditions listed in the new Health Order of the Bulgarian Ministry of Health (Order RD-01-733/27.08.2021 ) that are in effect from September 1, 2021, through November 30, 2021.

Exceptions: Those excepted from Red zone entry restrictions include: Citizens of the European Union, the European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederation and their family members arriving from a Member State of the European Union, the European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederation;
Old Sep 13, 2021, 1:07 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
You should be allowed in either way, but it's probably less hassle to use your Italian passport since EU members can travel freely between member countries and no one will second guess you, either at check-in or at border control. Just make sure you have your vaccination certificate at the ready.
Warriorconcept likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.