Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2021, 7:18 am

What happens if you test negative within the 72 hours, and your international flight gets delayed, and that new departure time makes your arrival time no longer in the 72 hours?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
What happens if you test negative within the 72 hours, and your international flight gets delayed, and that new departure time makes your arrival time no longer in the 72 hours?

I thought it’s 3 calendar days and not 72 hours
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
  • negative molecular or antigen swab test taken in the 72 hours prior to entering Italy; in the case of arrivals from the UK and Northern Ireland and British Isles, the swab test must be taken in the 48 hours prior to entering Italy
Ministero della Salute
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
  • negative molecular or antigen swab test taken in the 72 hours prior to entering Italy; in the case of arrivals from the UK and Northern Ireland and British Isles, the swab test must be taken in the 48 hours prior to entering Italy
Ministero della Salute
Sorry I confused the 3 days with the US entry requirements. Good question by the way
Jenn0625 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ministero della Salute
I thought the general consensus on FT was that the time was based on your original departure/arrival time.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
I thought the general consensus on FT was that the time was based on your original departure/arrival time.
It's very possible that is true. Ideally you take the test not right on the mark of the 72 hour arrival time, just in case there are delays, but I was just curious if that did happen, and you window was now expired, if they would make those affected retest before boarding.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
It is all country dependent and subject to change. I've looked at some where it was "3 days before scheduled departure" "3 days before scheduled arrival" "a maximum of 72 hours before arrival..." (implying but not explicitly stating that that's the actual arrival) etc.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's very possible that is true. Ideally you take the test not right on the mark of the 72 hour arrival time, just in case there are delays, but I was just curious if that did happen, and you window was now expired, if they would make those affected retest before boarding.
I've been doing my antigen tests within 24 hours of departure to help mitigate the time frame issue.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Does anyone have recent experience with flying from the US to Belgium since the new restrictions went into effect in early September? As I understand it, even if fully vaccinated, I would need to be tested within a day of arrival and remain in quarantine until the results are back. I see that I can get a PCR test at BRU. What sort of test turnaround times have people experienced? They state that it's a 24-48 hours turnaround. Can I leave the airport and travel by train to Bruges, with no knowledge of my result. Presumably, I would then need to quarantine until I get the result. I assume that quarantine means quarantine (to badly misquote Theresa May) and that I couldn't pop out of the room for a quick bite to eat? Given my planned relatively short stay in Belgium, losing 1-2 days to quarantine doesn't seem like it will work out.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Will add some data points - traveled from US > LHR > MUC (landside transit).

Was asked to show completed Germany health form and vaccine card (have a EU pass sanitaire) at check in in LHR and arrival in Germany.

Was asked for the vaccine passport everywhere we went in Germany. Masks required indoors everywhere, and people aren't shy about telling you to wear one.

Did a 2 day trip to Austria, masks not required anywhere. Was asked to show vaccine passport most everywhere in Austria.

Traveled MUC > ARN. Was not asked to show any type of vaccine passport at MUC check in, or to board the plane. Vaccine passport was asked for upon arrival in Stockholm.
Masks nowhere to be found in Sweden. All capacity limits/restrictions lifted as of today (9/29). Very nice to be in a country that is operating "normally". Seeing lots of business travelers at the hotel. I remember what is what was like to meet your colleagues in the lobby for dinner, etc.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What did you use for a “vaccine passport” on arrival to Sweden to enter Sweden from Germany?
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by jefftiger
Does anyone have recent experience with flying from the US to Belgium since the new restrictions went into effect in early September? As I understand it, even if fully vaccinated, I would need to be tested within a day of arrival and remain in quarantine until the results are back. I see that I can get a PCR test at BRU. What sort of test turnaround times have people experienced? They state that it's a 24-48 hours turnaround. Can I leave the airport and travel by train to Bruges, with no knowledge of my result. Presumably, I would then need to quarantine until I get the result. I assume that quarantine means quarantine (to badly misquote Theresa May) and that I couldn't pop out of the room for a quick bite to eat? Given my planned relatively short stay in Belgium, losing 1-2 days to quarantine doesn't seem like it will work out.
Within the Schengen zone you can easily avoid such problems by transiting in a country that does not require anything of vaccinated travellers. (There is still a general ban on unvaccinated travellers, though not all countries are on board with that.)
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Within the Schengen zone you can easily avoid such problems by transiting in a country that does not require anything of vaccinated travellers. (There is still a general ban on unvaccinated travellers, though not all countries are on board with that.)
Keep in mind that Belgium considers the past 14 days travel's history and not only the country someone arrives from.
Therefore, unless you lie on the PLF or stay 14 days in a country for which no-test/no-quarantine are required on arrival in Belgium, the problem is not avoided.
Xyzzy and jefftiger like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by jefftiger
Not personal experience, but a number of friends have recently traveled from the US to Belgium. Those that had a recent (72 hours before *arrival*) PCR test did not have to test on arrival in Belgium and did not have to quarantine. The one who did not have a test was directed to take one at the airport and quarantine until the results came back. One is still required to get a test on the 7th day in Belgium.

I'm headed over in a couple weeks myself and so have been actively monitoring things.
jefftiger likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Not personal experience, but a number of friends have recently traveled from the US to Belgium. Those that had a recent (72 hours before *arrival*) PCR test did not have to test on arrival in Belgium and did not have to quarantine. The one who did not have a test was directed to take one at the airport and quarantine until the results came back. One is still required to get a test on the 7th day in Belgium.

I'm headed over in a couple weeks myself and so have been actively monitoring things.
If fully vaccinated, you do not need a pre-departure test. The only requirements are that you are fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to arrival and that you complete the PLF in digital format.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.