Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2021, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere. The EU is set to reimpose travel restrictions to Americans given the high levels of COVID. Would this prompt UA to claw back on flights to countries adopting the restrictions? It’s a shame the US didn’t open up to EU given most countries have less COVID than US does, and now both sides lose out.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...y-sources-say/
hugolover likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
That is not an official source, and each European country is free to ignore EU recommendations.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The removal from the list means that the Member States are advised to reimpose the entry ban on travellers from these countries so that the same are no longer eligible to enter restriction-free for non-essential purposes like tourism and business.
We will need to wait till Monday. A previous report stated this would only apply to unvaccinated people.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
We will need to wait till Monday. A previous report stated this would only apply to unvaccinated people.
That would be ideal!
SF1K, Doppy, corky and 10 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I view this more as removal from the 'Safe List' than an actual ban, which is likely justified given the numbers in the US.

I fully expect Greece, Portugal (& others) to continue to allow entry but with proof of vaccination, a COVID test result, or proof of COVID recovery. Let's see.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Scheduled to travel from the US to Barcelona through Zurich on Wednesday 9/1- hoping this won't crimp our travel plans given we are vaccinated.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
I view this more as removal from the 'Safe List' than an actual ban, which is likely justified given the numbers in the US.

I fully expect Greece, Portugal (& others) to continue to allow entry but with proof of vaccination, a COVID test result, or proof of COVID recovery. Let's see.
Germany had already removed the US from their safe list with the result being that vaccinated people from the US could still enter without quarantine but had to upload their documentation prior to arrival. Anybody's guess how the airlines will react.
seanp7, N1120A and Owenc like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seanp7

Agreed it is justified for unvaccinated. I’m still unclear why vaccinated Europeans are denied entry to the U.S.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Agreed it is justified for unvaccinated. I’m still unclear why vaccinated Europeans are denied entry to the U.S.
Somewhat unjustified on the reverse too…. Especially UK where there’s an official online vaccination record from NHS rather than a scrap of paper in someone’s wallet
kingstontoon and :D! like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:49 am

All the reporting on this I have seen including the schengenvisainfo article all point to a single Reuters article which can be found here: https://www.reuters.com/world/eu-mov...ts-2021-08-27/ . This Reuters article implies this will not impact the vaccinated:

BRUSSELS, Aug 27 (Reuters) - The European Union on Friday moved to reinstate COVID travel restrictions like quarantine and testing requirements for unvaccinated citizens of the United States and five other countries, two diplomats told Reuters.
Not sure why schengenvisainfo left this detail out but perhaps for clickbait? Again we shall (hopefully) see tomorrow what the details are.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:54 am

I think while we will hear from them on Monday its kinda a mix bag and will take a few days to really figure out where its heading. I’m suppose to head to Rome Sept 15 so I have been monitoring this like crazy but keep seeing different stores where some say it will be a recommendation(Since that’s all they can do) for a full ban others say just a recommendation to ban unvaccinated like both Germany and then this week Czech Republic did. I think what will make this tough especially for folks like myself who have trips in early September is to hear from the individual countries since this is only a recommendation and it will be up to each country to determine how they want to handle it (Croatia for example has already according to Reuters said they plan to object so I would imagine they wont change their entry requirements; I would also be surprised to see Germany and CZ change theirs since they already banned the unvaccinated). I know Italy is suppose to update their restrictions also on the Monday the 30th which is what I am waiting.

I’ve kinda been tempted to just cancel and go to my backup which is Bogota since Delta has GUC upgrade on a 12K mile Econ class ticket and my Rome flight is almost entirely full so doubt ill get an upgrade unless Mondays announcement starts to thin the Delta 1 cabin of unvaccinated folks.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Because they'd dilute our test results and make the US look better than it actually is? :-)

More seriously, at this point we're likely in too deep to do anything reasonable w/regards reciprocity. The timing for that should have been before Delta took hold. Loosening any restrictions at all would seem to be lacking in justification right now, unless it was part of an overall package that strengthened protections. That would be ideal.

The biggest issue is how airlines and cruise lines will view this as a barometer of upcoming travel, and proactively cancel flights and cruises. My wife and I are doing a Greek Island Cruise on Norwegian Oct 31-Nov7. Thankfully, Norwegian is already 100% vaccinated, both crew and passenger requirement, so I think they're positioned well. The rest of the industry has to make a quick decision on whether it's time to embrace a two-class world (vaccinated vs not) and cater/optimize for those vaccinated and essentially write off/alienate those who are not. The time to do so is now.

I believe there is a huge marketing opportunity right now, catering to those vaccinated. Trying to mix both might be like bringing back a smoking section on a plane. How many non-smokers would choose to fly on an airline that still allowed smoking?

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Aug 29, 2021 at 10:28 am
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
All the reporting on this I have seen including the schengenvisainfo article all point to a single Reuters article which can be found here: https://www.reuters.com/world/eu-mov...ts-2021-08-27/ . This Reuters article implies this will not impact the vaccinated:

Not sure why schengenvisainfo left this detail out but perhaps for clickbait? Again we shall (hopefully) see tomorrow what the details are.
Their headline is very click-bait-y, and a cursory look at the site makes me think this isn’t the first time... I wouldn’t depend on them for solid information about much of anything.
Besides, what they describe is not truly a ban, but tightened restrictions, i.e. no more “simply covid tested”. As others have said, entry is still a national prerogative, not an EU one. I would think that with Germany already having stepped in and French requirements being that any vaccinated person can visit, bar those from new variant areas (which IINM would *not* be the US), there is a pretty clear sign of what is to come. That said, with the US still barring EU citizens even those fully vaccinated, this might come to a political pissing match. I certainly hope not, but ... we’ll just have to see.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Do you think any change would have immediate effect or delayed effect? There's a ton of us with flights this week. I am also wondering if it could cause a problem for intra-country flights! I am going ATH -> JTR -> ATH this week!
Old Aug 29, 2021, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Do you think I can go to Basel to see my brother again? Is Switzerland has already lifted? I have connection the flight in LHR. I already have vaccinated. So now, it’s done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.