Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by CBS
I would double check - my reading is that Sweden will only allow entry from non-Nordic EEU countries (which includes Switzerland) if you have an EU digital covid certificate or one issued by an exempted country, which the US no longer is. Based on your description you “should” be denied entry. Please let us know how it goes. If your connection was in CPH, KEF or HEL you’d be fine.

Sweden has, IMO, concocted the most complicated and least logical set of rules of all of Europe - our CDC vaccine cards are no longer an authorized equivalent to the EU digital certificate for entering from a non-Nordic EEU country, but if we fly from Iceland, whose geographical and economic connection to Sweden is fairly remote, we don’t need to show proof of anything. The new Berlin-Stockholm night train would seemingly be OK, as it transits Denmark. Perhaps something magical happens just north of Flensburg?
The covid certificate they're referring to isn't just a vaccine certificate, they're also including a negative test and a recovery cert.

Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by CBS
I would double check - my reading is that Sweden will only allow entry from non-Nordic EEU countries (which includes Switzerland) if you have an EU digital covid certificate or one issued by an exempted country, which the US no longer is. Based on your description you “should” be denied entry. Please let us know how it goes. If your connection was in CPH, KEF or HEL you’d be fine.

Sweden has, IMO, concocted the most complicated and least logical set of rules of all of Europe - our CDC vaccine cards are no longer an authorized equivalent to the EU digital certificate for entering from a non-Nordic EEU country, but if we fly from Iceland, whose geographical and economic connection to Sweden is fairly remote, we don’t need to show proof of anything. The new Berlin-Stockholm night train would seemingly be OK, as it transits Denmark. Perhaps something magical happens just north of Flensburg?
I'm booked to fly from MUC to ARN at the end of September. So seems like I won't be able to go to Sweden unless I can somehow get an EU digital vaccine certificate? Or are they really checking all of this for EEU flights?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by TomMM
Okay I'll play and say not. Simply because of this from TIMATIC which states US residents can enter until 5 Sept.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

I think you are right. Strange thing is I just check in online on Swiss and got both my boarding passes - both LAX to ZRH and ZRH to ARN. Of course this is not a guarantee because I know there will be document checks at the airport tomorrow.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I'm booked to fly from MUC to ARN at the end of September. So seems like I won't be able to go to Sweden unless I can somehow get an EU digital vaccine certificate? Or are they really checking all of this for EEU flights?
Sweden applies entry restrictions based off of where you're last coming from, even if it's only for transit. So as long as Germany remains allowed entry and they don't change their rules to be from your origin country you are technically allowed entry as well. The only issue you may run into is the airline employees not understanding the rules since they're not the clearest.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xooz
As I read this, I could proceed with a plan to go US-AMS, then take the train to DUS, as long as a) I do not leave the AMS train station(s) and b) entry to Germany is still allowed.
Yes, assuming you can convince the airline that you are in transit via train (maybe having a ticket ready would help). Then again, any airline should allow you to board to AMS as entry is still allowed, so it should be fine.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:26 am

Programs: A bunch
They are checking at check-in but you only need a negative test taken less than 72hrs before travel:

”Entry from an EEA* country, except the Nordics
  • Needs to present the EU covid certificate in the form of certificate documenting that the holder has been vaccinated against covid-19 (vaccine certificate), has a negative test result from testing for ongoing covid-19 infection, taken within 72 hours from the time of border crossing, or recovery from covid-19 (recovery certificate), or presentation of an equivalent certificate.
  • No further entry bans are enforced.
  • Should follow the Public Health Agency of Sweden's recommendationsafter arrival”
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by t325
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Sweden is only banning Americans who fly directly from the US, yet as far as I can tell, there are no non-stop flights from the US to ARN currently operating right now. So then who are they actually banning? Americans who fly to Sweden on a private jet? Americans who transit in LHR instead of a Schengen country? Americans who swim to Sweden?
The ban applies e.g. to people from the UK, which ahs been considered a high risk country for a while.

The Swedish rules are largely based on the epidemiological similarities between neighboring countries. Viral spread from cross border travel is presently not a significant driver of the local epidemic in Sweden — not even tens of thousands of Swedish people vacationing in the Mediterranean or going to European football matches have had a substantial impact. Therefore, incredibly detailed requirements a la Denmark’s, which even designates different color codes for different regions within countries and change these week to week - are not seen as necessary for keeping track of the local Swedish epidemic at present. Thus, entry from the similarly affected Nordic countries (same virus, similar dynamic, similar vaccination rates) is considered ok, even including a certain volume of transit pax. For the greater EES, similar conditions apply but given more uncertainty around their vaccination rates and local epidemiological status, a test is required. Of course, Sweden could have split Italy and France into multiple regions and applied different rules for each, like Denmark, but the estimated benefit of doing this is not seen as justifying the bureaucratic cost, at present. Finally, for countries outside of this perimeter, there is even greater uncertainty around the rate of vaccinations as well as local variants (most recently delta). Thus, the rules are stricter. It’s really not that complicated and makes epidemiological (and economical) sense.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Tiramisu
They are checking at check-in but you only need a negative test taken less than 72hrs before travel:

”Entry from an EEA* country, except the Nordics
  • Needs to present the EU covid certificate in the form of certificate documenting that the holder has been vaccinated against covid-19 (vaccine certificate), has a negative test result from testing for ongoing covid-19 infection, taken within 72 hours from the time of border crossing, or recovery from covid-19 (recovery certificate), or presentation of an equivalent certificate.
  • No further entry bans are enforced.
  • Should follow the Public Health Agency of Sweden's recommendationsafter arrival”
I think the only snag could be getting the EU vaccine certificate. I’ve read mixed reviews of people being able to get it at a pharmacy in Germany.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:28 am
CBS

I think the only snag could be getting the EU vaccine certificate. I’ve read mixed reviews of people being able to get it at a pharmacy in Germany.
Which is solvable (for the purpose of satisfying this entry requirement) by getting a negative test in the EEA.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by CBS
Which is solvable (for the purpose of satisfying this entry requirement) by getting a negative test in the EEA.
got it- was thinking it was vaccine card AND negative Covid test.
travel is in 3 weeks, so won’t change everything yet. I guess worst case is we have to stay in Munich longer and make last minute bookings.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 9:34 am

got it- was thinking it was vaccine card AND negative Covid test.
travel is in 3 weeks, so won’t change everything yet. I guess worst case is we have to stay in Munich longer and make last minute bookings.
I wonder if the binax tests will work for this
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I asked about obtaining a EU certificate using my US CDC card at several pharmacies in Frankfurt this weekend and they all said they wouldn't do it for visitors, only for people living in Germany. Conversely, some friends I met up with said they had no trouble with their CDC cards and weren't even asked if they lived in Germany, but they live near Ramstein and I'm guessing the pharmacists there just assume that Americans in the area are stationed/assigned there...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Spain finally updated their website and as expected, the US was removed from the "safe" list. I got the ping from United: "Vax card, negative COVID test, or proof of COVID recovery required" effective yesterday.

So I will bring two of these things with me when I fly on Wednesday. I wish I would have gone last week, but that was just not possible due to current events. Hopefully I can just wave both of these in front of them and they'll let me through.
Owenc likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Spain finally updated their website and as expected, the US was removed from the "safe" list. I got the ping from United: "Vax card, negative COVID test, or proof of COVID recovery required" effective yesterday.

So I will bring two of these things with me when I fly on Wednesday. I wish I would have gone last week, but that was just not possible due to current events. Hopefully I can just wave both of these in front of them and they'll let me through.
Reading TIMATIC only one should suffice.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal

I think TomMM is correct that you only need one, but we're going to do the same as you and get a test the morning of our flight to Madrid, just in case. We leave next Monday so 5 days after you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.