Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
International travelers?
what about US citizens or PR? Quarantine too?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Finkface
Source? You are saying international arrivals must now quarantine in addition to pre-arrival test? Where did you see that?
It was the Biden remarks on TV at 3pm. Trying to find the EXACT language, but thats what he stated in his speech which was all read, so it was written which means its in the EO.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by zip10001
International travelers?
what about US citizens or PR? Quarantine too?
I have a feeling when Biden mentioned quarantine, it referred to the CDC current rules and individual State rules. There's many states that require quarantine. So, it depends on which state you're arriving in. There's no way that the US government will be keeping tabs on people. That would be up to states that already mandate quarantine.

I'm not concerned about this executive order now, as I was a few minutes ago 😃

Mandatory testing will help stop the spread and start up traveling again. So, I'm definitely for that.

List below of every state that have quarantine measures:
https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions/united-states
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I have a feeling when Biden mentioned quarantine, it referred to the CDC current rules and individual State rules. There's many states that require quarantine. So, it depends on which state you're arriving in. There's no way that the US government will be keeping tabs on people. That would be up to states that already mandate quarantine.

I'm not concerned about this executive order now, as I was a few minutes ago 😃

Mandatory testing will help stop the spread and start up traveling again. So, I'm definitely for that.

List below of every state that have quarantine measures:
https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions/united-states
When he said required quarantine, I heard it a different way than you. The testing was already in place, following the guidelines was already in place. Why sign a new EO on something that was already done? Clearly there is something new in it, and until we see the language who knows. I sure hope he didnt go above CDC guidelines and above state laws.....
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I too am in favor of mandatory testing, but I do not think it will have any effect on stopping the spread. It will only ensure, to a certain degree, that you won't get infected on the plane.

I think it is pointless to speculate on what is in the EO until it is publicly published. And if it lasts through potential court challenges.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
When he said required quarantine, I heard it a different way than you. The testing was already in place, following the guidelines was already in place. Why sign a new EO on something that was already done? Clearly there is something new in it, and until we see the language who knows. I sure hope he didnt go above CDC guidelines and above state laws.....
I think he prepared the EO to confirm ALL the travel regulations, including new ones like masks on one order. And make it all Covid-19 related. That's what I think. But, we will all find out when it's published. I think it's a nothing burger. I hope all the travel bans are dismissed and everyone just wears masks, get tested and follow each State's mandates along with CDC and everything will be ok until which time vaccinations are at least 80% complete worldwide, whenever that is.
dcsnowwake likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
I think it is pointless to speculate on what is in the EO until it is publicly published. And if it lasts through potential court challenges.
It is published here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...eparedness.pdf

"Sec. 5. International Travel.
(a) Policy. It is the policy of my Administration that, to the extent feasible, travelers seeking to enter the United States from a foreign country shall be:
(i) required to produce proof of a recent negative COVID-19 test prior to entry; and
ii) required to comply with other applicable CDC guidelines concerning international travel, including recommended periods of self-quarantine or self-isolation after entry into the United States."

So it requires compliance with the recommendation. Sounds very odd to me.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
The EO is posted on Page 174 here, but it won't satisfy your desire for details. It just orders the relevant cabinet members (HHS, DHS, DOT) to implement a quarantine requirement that they deem appropriate, in accordance with CDC recommendations. There are no details on the number of days, etc., so we'll have to wait until they formalize the policy, but it's a good bet that it will match the current CDC recommendations for isolation.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Furthermore, agencies will "assist" travelers in complying :
"The Secretary of HHS, in coordination with the Secretary of Transportation (including through the Administrator of the FAA) and the Secretary of Homeland Security (including through the Administrator of the TSA), shall promptly provide to the President, through the COVID-19 Response Coordinator, a plan for how the Secretary and other Federal Government actors could implement the policy stated in subsection (a) of this section with respect to CDC-recommended periods of self-quarantine or self-isolation after a flight to the United States from a foreign country, as he deems appropriate and consistent with applicable law. The plan shall identify agencies’ tools and mechanisms to assist travelers in complying with such policy."
dcsnowwake likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness

"EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of the above. Below excerpt on International travel

Sec. 5. International Travel.
(a) Policy. It is the policy of my Administration that, to the extent feasible, travelers seeking to enter the United States from a foreign country shall be:
(i) required to produce proof of a recent negative COVID-19 test prior to entry; and
(ii) required to comply with other applicable CDC guidelines concerning international travel, including recommended periods of self-quarantine or self-isolation after entry into the United States.

(b) Air Travel.
(i) The Secretary of HHS, including through the Director of CDC, and in coordination with the Secretary of Transportation (including through the Administrator of the FAA) and the Secretary of Homeland Security (including through the Administrator of the TSA), shall, within 14 days of the date of this order, assess the CDC order of January 12, 2021, regarding the requirement of a negative COVID-19 test result for airline passengers traveling into the United States, in light of subsection (a) of this section. Based on such assessment, the Secretary of HHS and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall take any further appropriate regulatory action, to the extent feasible and consistent with CDC guidelines and applicable law. Such assessment and regulatory action shall include consideration of:

(A) the timing and types of COVID-19 tests that should satisfy the negative test requirement, including consideration of additional testing immediately prior to departure;
(B) the proof of test results that travelers should be required to provide;
(C) the feasibility of implementing alternative and sufficiently protective public health measures, such as testing, self-quarantine, and self-isolation on arrival, for travelers entering the United States from countries where COVID-19 tests are inaccessible, particularly where such inaccessibility of tests would affect the ability of United States citizens and lawful permanent residents to return to the United States; and
(D) measures to prevent fraud.

(ii) The Secretary of HHS, in coordination with the Secretary of Transportation (including through the Administrator of the FAA) and the Secretary of Homeland Security (including through the Administrator of the TSA), shall promptly provide to the President, through the COVID-19 Response Coordinator, a plan for how the Secretary and other Federal Government actors could implement the policy stated in subsection (a) of this section with respect to CDC-recommended periods of self-quarantine or self-isolation after a flight to the United States from a foreign country, as he deems appropriate and consistent with applicable law. The plan shall identify agencies’ tools and mechanisms to assist travelers in complying with such policy.

(iii) The Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of HHS (including through the Director of CDC), the Secretary of Transportation (including through the Administrator of the FAA), and the Secretary of Homeland Security, shall seek to consult with foreign governments, the World Health Organization, the International Civil Aviation Organization, the International Air Transport Association, and any other relevant stakeholders to establish guidelines for public health measures associated with safe international travel, including on aircraft and at ports of entry. Any such guidelines should address quarantine, testing, COVID-19 vaccination, follow-up testing and symptom-monitoring, air filtration requirements, environmental decontamination standards, and contact tracing.
dcsnowwake likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sykes
The EO is posted on Page 174 here, but it won't satisfy your desire for details. It just orders the relevant cabinet members (HHS, DHS, DOT) to implement a quarantine requirement that they deem appropriate, in accordance with CDC recommendations. There are no details on the number of days, etc., so we'll have to wait until they formalize the policy, but it's a good bet that it will match the current CDC recommendations for isolation.
Thanks for that. I found Goal Seven to be kind of funny given that this travel EO kind of blocks the US from having any kind of leadership. If American business people cannot travel, then they cannot lead anything. And if nationals of other countries cannot travel here, then that too effectively excludes our participation in many foreign affaires. That said, I hope that the travel restrictions are soon lifted and that anyone can travel in and out of the US provided they have negative test results.
JNelson113 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
So pretty much we have zero idea of whats up with the quarantine rules. So CDC is GUIDELINES, NOT enforcable but yet it states a requirement. Yeah, this is poorly written, and creates too many questions. ugh, these EOs are a joke.

the testing was easy, 72 hours, PERIOD..... now I test negative, why quarantine?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
So pretty much we have zero idea of whats up with the quarantine rules. So CDC is GUIDELINES, NOT enforcable but yet it states a requirement. Yeah, this is poorly written, and creates too many questions. ugh, these EOs are a joke.

the testing was easy, 72 hours, PERIOD..... now I test negative, why quarantine?
I have a feeling it's because some states mandate quarantine. I think the entire country should just be on the same page. Quarantine when you test positive or have symptoms and air passengers testing negative no quarantine, even voluntarily. It will probably be worked out in a few days before the testing mandate begins.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a feeling it's because some states mandate quarantine. I think the entire country should just be on the same page. Quarantine when you test positive or have symptoms and air passengers testing negative no quarantine, even voluntarily. It will probably be worked out in a few days before the testing mandate begins.
Don't forget that states have different rules about essential workers. I kind of doubt that anything will be worked out this month or next.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:49 pm

There is ZERO chance a nation wide federal mandate would hold up in courts. Leave it to the states, then have the states make the rules and deal with the local courts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.