Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2021, 4:22 pm

So the USA will allow people to enter with a negative lateral flow test? It does not necessarily have to be a PCR test?
Old Jun 20, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mizakd
So the USA will allow people to enter with a negative lateral flow test? It does not necessarily have to be a PCR test?
What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?

Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.
Originally Posted by ckaught78
Apologies if already covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. CDC indicates for US entry a FDA approved or EAU antigen test, but EU only has CE approved and there does not appear to be an antigen test available that is both FDA and CE approved. Abbot produces Binaxnow for US and has Panbio for Europe. Traveling to Portugal in a couple weeks and can get a Panbio test at the airport, but that isn't FDA authorized. Anyone been able to use that test for entry? I'll just order the binaxnow w/emed if I have to, but was hoping to just schedule a test at the airport in Lisbon before I head home.

The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered.
On my flight back in, LHR checked my COVID test (rapid antigen) and took my attestation form. They didn't scrutinize the results aside from verifying it had my name/dob on it (I also had my passport number on it, but I don't think that's required). On the way in to the US (Global Entry) I didn't talk to anyone after hitting the GE station. They just waved me through. So as long as falls within the requirements (see my previous comment) and it's authorized in the nation you're coming from, then you should be good. The way the CDC requirements read is that it's on the host nation of the segment you're departing from to make it in to the US, to either approve the test and verify you completed the attestation or you will be denied boarding and never get to the US in the first place. Though your originating segment nation will verify you have the test as well, so you can't just get the test done during a layover.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 3, 2021 at 11:47 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 20, 2021, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The way the CDC requirements reads is that it's on the airline of the segment you're departing from to make it in to the US, to either approve the test and verify you completed the attestation form or deny transport to the US. It has nothing to do with the originating segment nation.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The supervised self tests don't seem to be approved in various foreign countries. Are they considered to be administered (by zoom or whatever) in the USA even if the person taking the test is physically located abroad?
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:05 am

update:....its almost July.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The way the CDC requirements reads is that it's on the airline of the segment you're departing from to make it in to the US, to either approve the test and verify you completed the attestation form or deny transport to the US. It has nothing to do with the originating segment nation.
From the CDC page on the matter:
The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered.

So yeah the airline at check-in the host nation when you check in for the US-bound segment has to verify you completed the attestation form and hold on to it in case they're audited and verify the test is completed (this is the part I wasn't clear on in my reply), but the host nation certifies the covid test (which is what i meant in that reply).

Last edited by seigex; Jun 23, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Old Jun 23, 2021, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seigex
From the CDC page on the matter:

So yeah the airline at check-in the host nation when you check in for the US-bound segment has to verify you completed the attestation form and hold on to it in case they're audited and verify the test is completed (this is the part I wasn't clear on in my reply), but the host nation certifies the covid test (which is what i meant in that reply).
The host nation lab thing comes from the side of the CDC not wanting test-required, US-bound passengers to knowingly use illegal or fraudulent test centers in foreign lab hosting nations

Test results which both meet the CDC standard and come from labs authorized — or not prohibited — by the lab-hosting nation to administer tests of the sort that meet the CDC standard are (and are to be) accepted by the airline flying passengers to the US. And that is whether or not the host nations are certifying the tests or even test results used for travel to the US.

The host nations are sovereign and not subject to the CDC order, thus the CDC order is inapplicable to foreign countries. And foreign countries aren’t going out of their way to certify tests and test results because of a CDC order. The airlines and passengers flying to the US are generally not sovereign, and they are thus subject to the CDC testing order.

The entire, direct burden of the CDC test order to fly to the US falls exclusively on passengers and airlines, not the foreign hosting nation.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:05 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
I'm usually pretty good at figuring out the answers myself, but even this has me confused to all hell.

I'm going to be traveling from Canada to the US on July 27th. Now, hopefully, the requirements for a negative COVID test will have been lifted by then - especially for a fully vaccinated person like myself.

However, if they are not, is it possible to use the BinaxNOW test for entry? It's $95 CAD here for a rapid antigen test and I can order 2 BinaxNOW tests for $23.99 from CVS lol...but I'm confused about what it takes to "verify" it for purposes of entry into the US.

Can anyone who has maybe gone through the process give me information on how it worked for you? I'd be much appreciative.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Like the previous poster xanthuos , I also have a question regarding these BinaxNOW tests.
How do you schedule a virtual testing appointment with these tests? Does Abbott provide the service for free or you need to find an external company like a local health clinic that would do this?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Like the previous poster xanthuos , I also have a question regarding these BinaxNOW tests.
How do you schedule a virtual testing appointment with these tests? Does Abbott provide the service for free or you need to find an external company like a local health clinic that would do this?
I downloaded the app yesterday. I will be taking this test next week on Wednesday to get home to Dallas Thursday. It seems pretty easy as I did a dummy session up to point where it says are you ready to talk to someone (or something in that similar context).

I will share my experience here next week
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:16 am

I'm confused, too.

Do you have to order your BinaxNow test from eMed to get the proctor and verified results? They are only offering the 6-pack for $150. And would I need to order two six-packs to test two people, since there seems to be some strange no-sharing rule?

Or can you get the proctored results with the cheaper one (2 for ~$20 at Walmart/CVS)?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:20 am

this testing to come back to the us is still a thing?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael1023
this testing to come back to the us is still a thing?
Yes. Completely absurd.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by eerickson7

Or can you get the proctored results with the cheaper one (2 for ~$20 at Walmart/CVS)?
Exactly, I was wondering this. Is those BinaxNow tests bought from CVS, Walmart, Walgreens or any other US merchant for $20 ( 2-pack ) acceptable for proctoring services?

In Turkey, a PCR test costs about $25-30 so if it's only the $150 ( 6-pack version ) that is accepted by proctoring services; it's definitely not worth for my case.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Exactly, I was wondering this. Is those BinaxNow tests bought from CVS, Walmart, Walgreens or any other US merchant for $20 ( 2-pack ) acceptable for proctoring services
Do you mean for travel purposes? They are not. They are only for self testing purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.