Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by destone
Good luck finding a cheaper same-day PCR test anywhere in the world. PCR (not LAMP, antigen or antibody).
5000 ARS or 35 USD Blue Rate, test results in 12 hours or so in Buenos Aires
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Is there any reason to suspect that Abbott’s BinaxNOW COVID-19 test wouldn't qualify? It is an antigen test and gives you a "certificate" viewable on your phone, but you take it at home. They are about $30/ea online from emed.
QT31415 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
No. Actually, the recent EO by the previous president regarding the termination of the UK/Europe travel ban is currently under review along with all the other EOs and policy changes made recently. So, nothing has changed.
It looks like the reversal of travel from most of the EU and full restrictions on Brazil and S. Africa will be announced tomorrow. One version I saw on one of the outlets had all travel from S. Africa and Brazil, the other was non-US citizen restrictions.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by runningshoes
It looks like the reversal of travel from most of the EU and full restrictions on Brazil and S. Africa will be announced tomorrow. One version I saw on one of the outlets had all travel from S. Africa and Brazil, the other was non-US citizen restrictions.
Yes, I've seen that on the internet. I don't understand why they are still banning flights from certain countries since everybody needs to have covid tests before flying. The reason I don't understand is because all the people in brazil or south africa can just fly to mexico and then fly from mexico to the US. or cross at the borders. That's the part I don't get.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:43 pm

Yes, I've seen that on the internet. I don't understand why they are still banning flights from certain countries since everybody needs to have covid tests before flying. The reason I don't understand is because all the people in brazil or south africa can just fly to mexico and then fly from mexico to the US. or cross at the borders. That's the part I don't get.
The stated reason I saw for those 2 specific countries was the high concentration of the new virus variants - I don't know why that really makes a difference unless they're worried about people getting through the testing but still being positive.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
The stated reason I saw for those 2 specific countries was the high concentration of the new virus variants - I don't know why that really makes a difference unless they're worried about people getting through the testing but still being positive.
I understand that, but Mexico gets a boatload of Brazilians flying in. That's why the UK banned portugal too because Brazilians go there like Mexicans go to Spain. I don't think the bans are going to do anything when there's so many work arounds.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:20 pm

Then how is the Antigen Rapid Test performed, if they don't collect saliva? Blood prick of the finger? Anybody know? Because that's the test I plan to take to enter the US.
Nasal Swab usually.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:23 pm

I understand that, but Mexico gets a boatload of Brazilians flying in. That's why the UK banned portugal too because Brazilians go there like Mexicans go to Spain. I don't think the bans are going to do anything when there's so many work arounds.
Agree - unless they add banning the passport holder of the country and not just "flight from" location. I guess we'll see the formal announcement tomorrow.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:32 pm

Antigen tests are not as accurate as PCR tests, but the US has decided to allow them to be used for entry. Anyone besides US citizens or LPR's who have been in one of the banned countries will have to spend a minimum of 14 days in the transitioning country to gain access to the US. Most people don't have that kind of time or in some cases, the resources to do that. Some of Europe and South Africa is dealing with a new more contagious strain of covid; kind of the last thing you want to get any sort of foothold in the US, where some people already don't want to follow mask or social distance guidelines.

In my opinion the ban on Europe & the UK should have been lifted from June of last year and not used as some ploy, two days before leaving office by the former president, but that's another topic.
DL77 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Antigen tests are not as accurate as PCR tests, but the US has decided to allow them to be used for entry. Anyone besides US citizens or LPR's who have been in one of the banned countries will have to spend a minimum of 14 days in the transitioning country to gain access to the US. Most people don't have that kind of time or in some cases, the resources to do that. Some of Europe and South Africa is dealing with a new more contagious strain of covid; kind of the last thing you want to get any sort of foothold in the US, where some people already don't want to follow mask or social distance guidelines.

In my opinion the ban on Europe & the UK should have been lifted from June of last year and not used as some ploy, two days before leaving office by the former president, but that's another topic.
The Mexican President just tested positive for Covid19 finally. He never wears a mask. I have a feeling the Brazilian variant is already in Mexico. But, since the testing here is next to none, nobody will know
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Covid-19 tests before flights are estimated by some to make no more than a 5-9% reduction in the risk of a tested airline passengers getting/spreading Covid-19.

The big return in reducing the risk of airline passengers getting/spreading Covid-19 from these US testing requirements comes from the diminished travel demand that is a product of the additional costs (including costs in time and money) for testing and the expected additional costs of potentially being a positive case.
Boraxo and VCURamFan like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
Got back from MTY yesterday. That concludes my international travel for the year
Somehow I really, really doubt that. Your MO is pretty well documented and history says you will simply be unable to resist.

Getting a rapid antigen test is pretty simple and cheap (free?), I suspect this will not slow you down much (even though slowing you down is the entire point of the executive order...)

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Jan 25, 2021 at 7:20 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 25, 2021, 8:21 am

Here's the most recent update I could find regarding the expected travel ban. In theory, as noted above by Global Adventurer, you can still get around the ban via a 2-week stay in Mexico + a negative virus test.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/01/25/960229515/biden-to-implement-travel-restrictions-to-combat-new-coronavirus-variants
Biden will reimpose a ban on many non-U.S. citizens attempting to enter the country. The move is an attempt to limit the spread of COVID-19 and contain new variants of the disease that have cropped up in several countries around the globe, according to media reports Sunday.

The ban, expected to start Monday, would prohibit travelers from the United Kingdom, Ireland and 26 countries in Europe that allow travel across open borders, called the Schengen Area, according to Reuters. It will also block entry to travelers from Brazil and South Africa, where researchers discovered new variants of the virus.
Global Adventurer likes this.

Last edited by runningshoes; Jan 25, 2021 at 10:30 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Jan 25, 2021, 8:29 am

Here's the most recent update I could find regarding the expected travel ban. In theory, as noted above by Global Adventurer, you can still get around the ban via a 2-week stay in Mexico + a negative virus test.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...iantsPresident Biden will reimpose a ban on many non-U.S. citizens attempting to enter the country. The move is an attempt to limit the spread of COVID-19 and contain new variants of the disease that have cropped up in several countries around the globe, according to media reports Sunday.

The ban, expected to start Monday, would prohibit travelers from the United Kingdom, Ireland and 26 countries in Europe that allow travel across open borders, called the Schengen Area, according to Reuters. It will also block entry to travelers from Brazil and South Africa, where researchers discovered new variants of the virus.
The only way to actually stop all the new variants from entering the US, is 14 day mandatory quarantine like Australia. But, that will never happen, so all the variants will end up in the US over the coming weeks/months, if they're not already there.
Boraxo and VCURamFan like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by scubadu
Somehow I really, really doubt that. Your MO is pretty well documented and history says you will simply be unable to resist.
You make it sound like I have a disease
SFO777 and Brandinho1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.