Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I have a feeling it's because some states mandate quarantine. I think the entire country should just be on the same page. Quarantine when you test positive or have symptoms and air passengers testing negative no quarantine, even voluntarily. It will probably be worked out in a few days before the testing mandate begins.
Some states like those on the west coast have quarantine advisories. The state has already said there would be zero enforcement of this. In Seattle once you leave airside all you see is a small sign asking you to quarantine if you arrive from out of state. Wonder how this set of EOs will change the state advisories/requirements.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:14 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about a quarantine requirement. There is absolutely zero mechanism for enforcement unless they do a massive national guard deployment stopping people on the streets etc. Obviously won't happen. I recently returned to WA state from abroad that technically has a quarantine requirement, and while I haven't left my house because I'm catching up on netflix/hbomax and its been too cold, if I did walk out there isn't really any enforcement.

The only thing to worry about are requirements that can be verified by airlines before issuing a boarding pass.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On the other hand, there are some people who do obey the law!

The goal is to reduce community spread. While it would be nice if everyone obeyed the law, if most do, that reduces spread and saves lives. So, lets hope that the approach is not "how can I break the law?"
Old Jan 21, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
There is ZERO chance a nation wide federal mandate would hold up in courts. Leave it to the states, then have the states make the rules and deal with the local courts.
I didn't state that I agreed on a mandatory quarantine. I was saying that there should be a quarantine if someone tests positive or has symptoms (not a mandatory quarantine) and everyone else go about their merry way. I believe folks should follow the CDC guidelines. Those guidelines aren't mandatory.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Has this EO changed anything regarding the January 26th date that CDC says all inbound passengers must get a covid test prior to entry from any other country? I hope not. I'm going to Monterrey tomorrow for the weekend
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So pretty much we have zero idea of whats up with the quarantine rules. So CDC is GUIDELINES, NOT enforcable but yet it states a requirement. Yeah, this is poorly written, and creates too many questions. ugh, these EOs are a joke.

the testing was easy, 72 hours, PERIOD..... now I test negative, why quarantine?
Could be a prelude to travelers having to test again (once, twice or more) even after arrival back in the US before being free to go about their business. If the US advances new, more restrictive limits on the US airports of entry for passenger travel from abroad and limits the arrival options to just states which seem to be friendly to enforcing CDC-recommended quarantines on arrival (even for transit passengers), then that could be part and parcel of enabling a post-arrival test system involving enforced quarantine prior to release.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
On the other hand, there are some people who do obey the law!

The goal is to reduce community spread. While it would be nice if everyone obeyed the law, if most do, that reduces spread and saves lives. So, lets hope that the approach is not "how can I break the law?"
With the proliferation of EO's, which are basically backdoor ways to bypass the historical and traditional ways to have laws come into being and which can be rescinded by a stroke of a pen, again, without proper process, I think huge number of people in our country would not consider them "laws" that they must "obey". Rules that a particular president wants to have without getting anyone's approval, sure. But laws that would be respected and obeyed, dont think so.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
Has this EO changed anything regarding the January 26th date that CDC says all inbound passengers must get a covid test prior to entry from any other country? I hope not. I'm going to Monterrey tomorrow for the weekend
There is this reference in the EO:

(b) Air Travel.
(i) The Secretary of HHS, including through the Director of CDC, and in coordination with the Secretary of Transportation (including through the Administrator of the FAA) and the Secretary of Homeland Security (including through the Administrator of the TSA), shall, within 14 days of the date of this order, assess the CDC order of January 12, 2021, regarding the requirement of a negative COVID-19 test result for airline passengers traveling into the United States, in light of subsection (a) of this section. Based on such assessment, the Secretary of HHS and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall take any further appropriate regulatory action, to the extent feasible and consistent with CDC guidelines and applicable law. Such assessment and regulatory action shall include consideration of:

(A) the timing and types of COVID-19 tests that should satisfy the negative test requirement, including consideration of additional testing immediately prior to departure;
(B) the proof of test results that travelers should be required to provide;
(C) the feasibility of implementing alternative and sufficiently protective public health measures, such as testing, self-quarantine, and self-isolation on arrival, for travelers entering the United States from countries where COVID-19 tests are inaccessible, particularly where such inaccessibility of tests would affect the ability of United States citizens and lawful permanent residents to return to the United States; and
(D) measures to prevent fraud.
Sounds unlikely that there would be an acceleration of the inbound testing requirement start date, if that's your concern.
GUWonder and enviroian like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by detredwin
With the proliferation of EO's, which are basically backdoor ways to bypass the historical and traditional ways to have laws come into being and which can be rescinded by a stroke of a pen, again, without proper process, I think huge number of people in our country would not consider them "laws" that they must "obey". Rules that a particular president wants to have without getting anyone's approval, sure. But laws that would be respected and obeyed, dont think so.
Regulations can have legal force, even when the regulations are at root a product of an EO. Regardless of what some people in our country may think needs to be obeyed, violations of lawful regulations connected to EOs can give rise to civil and/or criminal penalties. [EOs that have come into legal regulatory force can't all be rescinded at just the stroke of a pen, but that's beside the point.]

Intentionally using deceptive/fraudulent Covid-19 test results to travel to the US is a prosecutable offense. And that remains true regardless of what some people in our country may think needs to be obeyed -- unless and until there's a conclusive court determination saying otherwise -- when it comes to regulatory demands for testing to travel to the US.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 21, 2021 at 5:27 pm
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Regulations can have legal force, even when the regulations are at root a product of an EO. Regardless of what some people in our country may think needs to be obeyed, violations of lawful regulations connected to EOs can give rise to civil and/or criminal penalties. [EOs that have come into legal regulatory force can't all be rescinded at just the stroke of a pen, but that's beside the point.]

Intentionally using deceptive/fraudulent Covid-19 test results to travel to the US is a prosecutable offense. And that remains true regardless of what some people in our country may think needs to be obeyed -- unless and until there's a conclusive court determination saying otherwise -- when it comes to regulatory demands for testing to travel to the US.
GU, I generally agree, except for the stroke of the pen point - we left the climate accord by a stroke of a pen, and we rejoined it by the same stroke, with no regulatory channels. My comment was specific to the point of admonishing people to obey laws - many do not consider EO's to be laws per se. Enforceable rules, sure, but obeyable laws, no. And that's coming from a lawyer here 🙂
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Do we have the official word that the termination of the Brazil/Europe ban has been rescinded?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Do we have the official word that the termination of the Brazil/Europe ban has been rescinded?
No. Actually, the recent EO by the previous president regarding the termination of the UK/Europe travel ban is currently under review along with all the other EOs and policy changes made recently. So, nothing has changed.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
With recent news out of Manaus that 80% had it, now 60% plus have it again, this is a cycle that will never end. And being in Manaus for the World Cup, its so isolated, if there having this many issues, its time to think option B. open up, and survival of the fittest. This looks like ZERO end.

Bye Bye intl travel and bye bye 90% airlines.

Liberals will NOT give money to the US3 or anyone, so I see 1 national airline at this rate sadly.

Ugh going down a dark hole.....
LETTERBOY and ctexas15 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:07 pm

With recent news out of Manaus that 80% had it, now 60% plus have it again, this is a cycle that will never end. And being in Manaus for the World Cup, it’s so isolated, if there having this many issues, it’s time to think option B. open up, and survival of the fittest. This looks like ZERO end.

Liberals will NOT give money to the US3 or anyone, so I see 1 national airline at this rate sadly.

Diagnosed-tested cases are a different problem than the vast majority of unreported or surveilled asymptomatic/mild infections. The sooner we adapt with reason to this flu-like contagion, the easier it will be for all countries.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
With recent news out of Manaus that 80% had it, now 60% plus have it again, this is a cycle that will never end. And being in Manaus for the World Cup, its so isolated, if there having this many issues, its time to think option B. open up, and survival of the fittest. This looks like ZERO end.

There is so much wrong with this statement I don’t know where to begin...perhaps by pointing out the quality of this post is telling from the wrong use of “there”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.