Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by invisible

Singapore acted differently - you can leave any time even for non-essential travel but your state provided health insurance will be canceled and private insurances won’t sell you new cover and if you had one, they are invalidated.
not true. Singapore only mention that any one who travel out of the country will have to pay for their own medical fee if they contracted Covid 19 within 14 days of their return. Singapore cover all medical fee if a person caught it locally in Singapore.

but they can still tap on the govt medi insurance n private insurance. And if they are citizen or PR, they will pay subsidy rates.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
That would be insane and the economies for both canada and mexico will certainly suffer tremendously. I hope they mean something else.
It is insane for the global economy and will further crush the worlds poorer population. Which appears to be the unwitting strategy of many people in power. Nobody cares about Africa and other developing nations. This strategy is far worse than COVID IMHO.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:06 am

I think they're are trying to find a way to return via pockets of air traffice with certain areas, since a full return is unrealistic. At this point, vaccine distribution, which can only accelerate, and combined with an effective testing regime, corridors of travel can begin to return with those countries, most likely the EU & UK, on the same path. We can begin implementing this as respective countries scale up testing and evaluate data from vaccinations, which will hopefully result in a set of restrictions far less onerous than those we have currently.

A burden for those areas without an effective testing regime and widespread vaccine availability will be an unintended consequence, in my view. On the other hand, as countries reach mass vaccination and lift restrictions, vaccines should begin to find its way into those areas where it's still reuired.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I fly from Mexico to the states about 3 times a month and given this new order I would need to get tested before I fly every time. I understand the intention, but I feel like it's going to really become difficult, plus the last covid test that I took in Mexico cost me about 200 dollars and I had to call in a personal favor to get tested. This has gotten better but it's still not very easy to get tested in Mexico especially as a foreigner. Fortunately I have dual citizenship so that helps. The next couple of month are going to be interesting!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by marcopha10
I fly from Mexico to the states about 3 times a month and given this new order I would need to get tested before I fly every time. I understand the intention, but I feel like it's going to really become difficult, plus the last covid test that I took in Mexico cost me about 200 dollars and I had to call in a personal favor to get tested. This has gotten better but it's still not very easy to get tested in Mexico especially as a foreigner. Fortunately I have dual citizenship so that helps. The next couple of month are going to be interesting!
You don't need a RT-PCR test to enter the US, so it will be cheaper than $200. It only cost about $50 for a simple rapid test (antigen) that approved to enter the US. And there's a boatload of laboratories throughout Mexico that provide these tests.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Thanks for the info. I haven't look into getting tested since the on eI took months ago, I will look into it when I get back there on Sunday. Thanks again for the info!!! Greatly appreciated
Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by marcopha10
Thanks for the info. I haven't look into getting tested since the on eI took months ago, I will look into it when I get back there on Sunday. Thanks again for the info!!! Greatly appreciated
Download the PDF at the below post of all the approved clinics in Mexico to get tested. Information is straight from the US Embassy in Mexico.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32970371-post2.html
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I will be returning from Costa Rica on Jan. 30. It is going to cost me $111 for the test in Quepos. Supposed to get the results in 24-48 hours. Hope it happens and I I am not stranded there.

Last edited by susiesan; Jan 20, 2021 at 7:09 am
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
I will be returning from Costa Rica on Jan. 30. It is going to cost me $111 for the test in Quepos. Supposed to get the results in 24-48 hours. Nope it happens and Iam not stranded there.
Just get a rapid test that takes 15-20 minutes.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
Well Trump did his part. Now for the EU and others to reciprocate.
Not gonna happen, even if the change wasn't reversed by the incoming administration.

There's an understanding among experts that entry restrictions affect transmission through multiple channels. For example, if you don't have tourists in addition to locals on public transport, that is gonna reduce contacts and hence transmissions.

The new variants are spreading rapidly in several Schengen countries. E.g., experts from ETH estimate B.1.1.7's share of new infections to be as high as 8% in Switzerland as of today (based on genome sequencing data around two weeks old). This is clearly not the time to loosen any kind of restrictions.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:11 am

Yet another idiotic decision that does nothing to slow the spread of the virus. And I’m sure the people who make these rules don’t need tests as they fly in their own private jet.

I bet we will now see a plethora of places offering fake test results. How is an airline agent going to prove whether the document is fake or real?
Dieuwer, Pirrito and DL77 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by poisson
Yet another idiotic decision that does nothing to slow the spread of the virus. And I’m sure the people who make these rules don’t need tests as they fly in their own private jet.

I bet we will now see a plethora of places offering fake test results. How is an airline agent going to prove whether the document is fake or real?
It is a fallacious argument that the potential of fakes means there should be no testing regulation. Simply because a few people might break ANY law does not mean there shouldn't be a law in the first place.

Governments around the world have issued warnings against non-essential travelling. If non-essential leisure vacationers wish to openly disregard those advisories during a global pandemic then punishing them with extra costs, inconvenience and the risk of being stranded is not out of line.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: Skymiles
Here in Europe they started to request a test before every flight even between Euro countries..better than closed borders.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Just get a rapid test that takes 15-20 minutes.
Rapid tests are not available in Costa Rica yet, not in the area I am staying in at the end of my vacation. They are not offered at the airport but I read that Costa Rica is going to put in place a group of places throughout the country for tourists to get tested.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by poisson

Intentionally deceptive use of presented Covid-19 test results or otherwise faking test results to fly to the US? That is a federal crime with established penalties that include time behind bars. The incoming US Admin will not block the DOJ from prosecuting people for committing test fraud against the US, including by going after fake test mills abroad.
Badenoch likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.