Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:12 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I would think that this will work and you will not have to take another test in Brazil.
I know airline Twitter team isn’t best place to seek clarification but they said it’s more likely I need to take new test in Brazil. Decide to skip this awesome J fare, not really in mood to search a place to take PCR or antigen test before flying back to US.

it’ll be great to find out if it’s a standard requirement to take another test if someone fly down for 1-2 day before going back to USA. I guess Mexico trips, etc will be much more doable if CDC is cool with ex-US test for those U.S. bound flights as long it’s under 72 hours.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold
It's not just resorts doing testing for their guests. A number of cruiselines are going to do covid tests on board. First to announce this is Viking. Other premium lines will be offering this for their Europe cruises that you have to fly overseas for. Air Tahiti is offering tests at PPT for their flyers on their US bound flights, cost is $40.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by susiesan
It's not just resorts doing testing for their guests. A number of cruiselines are going to do covid tests on board. First to announce this is Viking. Other premium lines will be offering this for their Europe cruises that you have to fly overseas for. Air Tahiti is offering tests at PPT for their flyers on their US bound flights, cost is $40.
MSC cruises provided free testing for all their passengers several months ago when they started up cruising around small parts of europe. That would be the way to go.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by washeelers747
I know airline Twitter team isn’t best place to seek clarification but they said it’s more likely I need to take new test in Brazil. Decide to skip this awesome J fare, not really in mood to search a place to take PCR or antigen test before flying back to US.

it’ll be great to find out if it’s a standard requirement to take another test if someone fly down for 1-2 day before going back to USA. I guess Mexico trips, etc will be much more doable if CDC is cool with ex-US test for those U.S. bound flights as long it’s under 72 hours.
I don't know how immigration could prevent a US citizen from coming in who has a negative PCR test within 72 hours. You are conforming to the letter of the law. If you have to get one from the country you are visiting they need to specify that in the regulation.
LETTERBOY and washeelers747 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I don't know how immigration could prevent a US citizen from coming in who has a negative PCR test within 72 hours. You are conforming to the letter of the law. If you have to get one from the country you are visiting they need to specify that in the regulation.
Agreed. Probably not best source but TPG post indicated that it's fine to use same negative test for U.S. bound flight if it's less than 72 hours. Probably useful for U.S.-South America mileage running if someone feel comfortable to do it. Here's the answer on post.

"What if I’m gone for less than three days?
If you get a negative test, travel and return within three days, the test before departing the U.S. will be accepted.
JNelson113 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Since AA throw out amazing J deal to Brazil today and I’m tempting to go but I am aware that I need to take rapid test to comply with Brazil requirement but wonder if I can show same ex-US negative covid test at GIG or GRU airport if I’m there only less than 48 hours?

I tried to dig information if it’s acceptable to present same test as long it’s less than 72 hours between ex-U.S. test (maybe LAX or JFK) and U.S. bound flight from GIG?
There is no need to ask an air carrier and frankly, don't ever rely on anything an air carrier tells you about legal requirements (any more than you would hire a lawyer to fly your aircraft).

The CDC Order is clear. If your test result meets the requirement of the Order, it is sufficient. If your timing meets the 72-hour requirement, you are all set.

For the benefit of others, if you are considering travel into the US, it is well worth reading the CDC Order itself. Similarly, CDC has not granted any waivers for lack of testing capacity. I suspect that those will be difficult if not practically impossible to obtain in any reasonable time-frame and the request would presumably need to come from someone who can present reliable data about lack of availability,
Cryofern likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Often1
There is no need to ask an air carrier and frankly, don't ever rely on anything an air carrier tells you about legal requirements (any more than you would hire a lawyer to fly your aircraft).

The CDC Order is clear. If your test result meets the requirement of the Order, it is sufficient. If your timing meets the 72-hour requirement, you are all set.

For the benefit of others, if you are considering travel into the US, it is well worth reading the CDC Order itself. Similarly, CDC has not granted any waivers for lack of testing capacity. I suspect that those will be difficult if not practically impossible to obtain in any reasonable time-frame and the request would presumably need to come from someone who can present reliable data about lack of availability,
When you are checking in for your flight, the CDC order doesn't matter at all. The only thing that matters is what the check in agent thinks that matters. They will deny boarding if they are not satisfied.

My experience with this over the last 6 months is that there is some confusion in the beginning and the check in agents and gate agents can be strict. But then after being strict for a few weeks, they quickly move to complacency and barely look at your phone when you are showing the test results. If even that. I've seen this both at US airports and in Europe.
SFO777, hurnik, ExpatExp and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Agreed. Probably not best source but TPG post indicated that it's fine to use same negative test for U.S. bound flight if it's less than 72 hours. Probably useful for U.S.-South America mileage running if someone feel comfortable to do it. Here's the answer on post.

"What if I’m gone for less than three days?
If you get a negative test, travel and return within three days, the test before departing the U.S. will be accepted.
Brazil requires a PCR test, so unless you're one of the lucky people who live in an area where you can get a rapid PCR/NAAT test, you are most likely going to take your test for Brazil more than 24 hours prior to leaving for Brazil. That means the 48 hours added to the lead time for the outbound test probably puts the traveler beyond the 3 calendar days. That said, if it's a rapid turn-around like 48 hours, take a rapid antigen test before leaving the US. That will be acceptable to getting back to the US.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Catbert10
... a rapid PCR/NAAT test ...
Does such a thing exist?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Does such a thing exist?
LAX offers same-day PCR results but I wouldn't call it "rapid" (it takes 4-6 hours).
Old Jan 18, 2021, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by destone
LAX offers same-day PCR results but I wouldn't call it "rapid" (it takes 4-6 hours).
Any other airports offer this? JFK? Also hoping something in or near GRU offers this, too.
The CDC order is so ridiculous in that it leaves open the interpretation of three days. Is it three calendar days? 72 hours? Clearly written by a government agency.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by destone
wow that's impressive. I've seen nothing less than a 24-48 hour TAT for PCR.

What's it cost? $10,000? lol
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by enviroian

Carbon at PDX offers the Abbott Rapid ID Now PCR test. Results in 2 hours. They used to offer it at the pop up location in Seattle as well. I took the Carbon test in Seattle in October and the result was on my phone within 15 minutes. It clearly says PCR on the result and cost was $135. The PDX site says is only testing AS passengers at the moment but I have not been asked for proof. I have a test scheduled there next week.

Carbon Health Airport Testing Sites - Hours, Location & Testing Information
Portland, OR Airport
  • Hours of Operations: 7 days a week | Hours: 9am-7pm
  • Cost: $135 (insurance not accepted) | FSA/HSA eligible
  • Turnaround Time for Results*: Within 2hrs
    *Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA)
enviroian and SFO777 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Any other airports offer this? JFK?
Yes, JFK Terminal 1, but it is expensive ($400 I think)
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian

It's as cheap as it gets: $125. https://www.flylax.com/travelsafely#CovidTest

It's really impressive, indeed-- and I hope the new administration will pressure all major US airports to offer the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.