Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2021, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
That's like asking how many more years I am willing to accept TSA airport security. If it has to be that way, then it has to be that way. I'm not going to stress about when the world will be free of this virus.
There is a HUGE difference between a TSA style test requirement at the airport and not stressing about arriving an extra hour early vs having to go out of your way in a foreign land, trying to navigate their clinic system, to get a test done. Not every random Marriott or budget motel is going to have complimentary testing services like the fancy resorts, so this will become a major problem long term unless all you're doing is simple round trips, no 2 day stopovers etc. No fast jampacked itinerary travel. Nothing long-term booked. No non-refundable travels. Not to mention emergency travel for funerals/business etc is completely cut off right now because figuring out and getting a test takes a day.
JNelson113, Pirrito and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst
Global
Good luck with that plan - not trying to give you a hard time..... because that's probably what is going to happen.....but like most insurance plans - you dont always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need..... just be prepared to stuck somewhere for an unpredictable amount of time and hope your insurance covers the Four Season and potential lost income, other expenses (let alone medical expenses) - or provides a reasonable way to get home.....
...lots of uncertainty, even in the best of circumstances.....

-m
Give this situation a couple months and you won't be so concerned. I'm pretty certain of this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
Many of the restrictions that came into force in the wake of 9/11 are still with us, and we accept them (even though we also grumble about them).

There is little point wishing things were different: things are what they are and you just have to work around them.
How can you seriously compare post 9/11 measures and what we are facing now for one year and many months to come (at least) ? Come on !
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29H2KD

Per the article:
"The CDC will also consider waivers of testing requirements for airlines flying to countries with little or no testing capacity, including some places in the Caribbean."

Have any more details been released on waivers for countries with limited capacity?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29H2KD

Per the article:
"The CDC will also consider waivers of testing requirements for airlines flying to countries with little or no testing capacity, including some places in the Caribbean."

Have any more details been released on waivers for countries with limited capacity?
If this is true than the rule is nothing but Security Theatre. Because either you are honestly concerned about ANY passenger bringing COVID to the USA and therefore will ban pax with no test or a positive test (no matter the "excuses"), or you are not.
Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
If this is true than the rule is nothing but Security Theatre. Because either you are honestly concerned about ANY passenger bringing COVID to the USA and therefore will ban pax with no test or a positive test (no matter the "excuses"), or you are not.
I have no idea if that is true. But I have seen similar talk and verbiage floating around Tripadvisor forums as well. I am assuming the media got it from somone at the CDC.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
I have no idea if that is true. But I have seen similar talk and verbiage floating around Tripadvisor forums as well. I am assuming the media got it from somone at the CDC.
it is indicated in the cdc order, page 4

having said that, nobody should be relying on the possibly lack of or non-existent testing capabilities in said countries to convince themselves that they will have no problems returning. no official list of countries has been published yet.

if there truly is no testing capabilities, then better dont travel there to begin with. or transit on separate tickets in a 3rd country that doesn't require testing for entry but has testing capabilities before flying back to US. everybody here should know which country that would be the most convenient for this
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Of course this is all theatre. What is the difference between allowing flights between LAX and JFK or CUN and JFK?
Pirrito and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: free agent
Since AA throw out amazing J deal to Brazil today and I’m tempting to go but I am aware that I need to take rapid test to comply with Brazil requirement but wonder if I can show same ex-US negative covid test at GIG or GRU airport if I’m there only less than 48 hours?

I tried to dig information if it’s acceptable to present same test as long it’s less than 72 hours between ex-U.S. test (maybe LAX or JFK) and U.S. bound flight from GIG?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Mexico Resorts:

*Hard Rock (free testing and free quarantine accommodation)
*Palace Resorts (free testing and free quarantine accommodation)
*AM Resorts (free testing and free quarantine accommodation)
*Posadas Resorts (free testing and $10 a night quarantine accommodation)

plus others....
Old Jan 16, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Since AA throw out amazing J deal to Brazil today and I’m tempting to go but I am aware that I need to take rapid test to comply with Brazil requirement but wonder if I can show same ex-US negative covid test at GIG or GRU airport if I’m there only less than 48 hours?

I tried to dig information if it’s acceptable to present same test as long it’s less than 72 hours between ex-U.S. test (maybe LAX or JFK) and U.S. bound flight from GIG?
I would think that this will work and you will not have to take another test in Brazil.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Here in Antigua, two higher-end resorts (Sandals and Cocobay) have announced that they will be able to conduct PCR tests for departing guests within the 72-hour requirement. They are claiming that they will have a 24-hour turnaround. That is far better than the government testing:

1. Cost is $100 for citizens, $200 for non-citizens
2. Results are taking 4 to 5 days currently
3. Testing site is only open by appointment for 4 hours per day
4. All samples are sent to Trinidad for confirmation, after the test result is given in Antigua

There is simply no way that the government will be able to efficiently test 1000 passengers per day. We are residents here, planning to return to FL on April 22nd. We think there will be more hotel options, hopefully at lower prices. We would have no problem moving to a nice resort for three days prior to departure. A 3-day stay at Sandals starts at $3200, and one at Cocobay is $1300. Considering that we would have to pay $400 for the government test, we can deduct that from the cost of the stay.

I expect more hotels here and around the world will be able to offer testing in order to keep their business.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:22 pm

Do we really think the tests done at these resorts will be real/accurate? The resorts have every incentive in the world to not be in local news as a covid positive property, so it is very very very very obvious that all the "tests" done at the resorts will come back negative so they can say goodbye to the guest and their reputation intact.
Pirrito likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Do we really think the tests done at these resorts will be real/accurate? The resorts have every incentive in the world to not be in local news as a covid positive property, so it is very very very very obvious that all the "tests" done at the resorts will come back negative so they can say goodbye to the guest and their reputation intact.
Right. Another conspiracy theory.
Let’s commit fraud because... “reputation”.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Dieuwer,
I am not trying to promote conspiracy theories - I am painting a picture of a little bit of reality (and based upon my knowledge of the field). Accurate, reliable, efficient testing is a little more complicated that a do-it-yourself pregnancy test (which btw, has it's limitations and requires confirmation - and works differently). There are quality controls, cleaning of equipment and calibration protocols, chain of custody, reagents, technical expertise, and so in - much of which were issues with implementing widespread testing early on..... even hospitals look for corners to cut and balance the risk/benefits (and not always to save money, but to potentially improve efficiency - some places are 'pooling'-testing, but that is another issue.. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...rocedures.html ) - do you think a resort is going to invest in the latest and greatest, most accurate/reliable, point of care testing and pay top dollar to do so - and following strict US CDC guidelines? Every industry has compromises with risk and reliability - obviously, too many positive tests might prompt a different set of problems.... but the world (and smart scientists) are still debating the "best" ways of testing..... if you want to trust the kiosk in FRA, DXB, or BOS to have the same technology as MGH (I am using your location intentionally) and central america (I only use since everyone is talking about weekend trips there), then good luck - but all of these tests have known and reported sensitivities, specificities, true/false positives/negatives, and so on.....
artemis and Pirrito like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.