Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well seems the new administration is certainly trying their best to restrict travel as much as they can with executive orders... supposedly a (non-enforceable) quarantine now for travelers arriving to the US along with the covid test requirement to get on the plane.
JNelson113, cruisr and VCURamFan like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 22, 2021 at 12:09 pm Reason: If you’re “trying” not to go omni, simply don’t
Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Well seems the new administration is certainly trying their best to restrict travel as much as they can with executive orders... supposedly a (non-enforceable) quarantine now for travelers arriving to the US along with the covid test requirement to get on the plane.
They're trying to quickly reduce the infection numbers now until the vaccine can be properly delivered around the country. That's also the reason for the mask mandate on federal properties/federal regulated entities, etc. But, I'm glad they are testing now too.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 22, 2021 at 12:11 pm Reason: Deletion in quote
Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
The goal is to reduce community spread. While it would be nice if everyone obeyed the law, if most do, that reduces spread and saves lives. So, lets hope that the approach is not "how can I break the law?"
The goal is to stop hospitals from overflowing.
So stop moving the goal posts all the time!
cruisr and VCURamFan like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
A 14 day quarantine after traveling internationally will pretty much shut down international travel.

Anyone want to speculate when this goes into effect?
Boraxo and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113
A 14 day quarantine after traveling internationally will pretty much shut down international travel.

Even if it were to, it's my view that ultimately with widespread testing regimes and greater vaccination penetration quarantines will be shortened to something more manageable. Maybe, 2 or 3 with a final negative test?
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by JNelson113

Where did you read that? From everything I've read "so far", it indicates it's self-quarantine according to the CDC guidelines that have been posted for weeks.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Where did you read that? From everything I've read "so far", it indicates it's self-quarantine according to the CDC guidelines that have been posted for weeks.
Sorry. Looks like it's still under consideration as to the length of quarantine. My bad.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Mostly people are reacting to words and headlines and not the actual executive order. The contents of that can be found elsewhere in this topic so I won't repeat it but nothing new in there. It also mentions assessing feasibility of any proposed additional measures (the EO tasks groups to come back with plans and proposals). That alone give the administration a lot of "outs" to keep everyone happy
I assume for the past year many of these administrative bodies have been reassessing requirements/recommendation/etc constantly
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Still cant figure out how it would be enforceable, unless they make you all quarantine into a hotel at the airport, which sadly at the rate this administration is going, could happen.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
Still cant figure out how it would be enforceable, unless they make you all quarantine into a hotel at the airport, which sadly at the rate this administration is going, could happen.
I don't think there will ever be a nationwide mandated quarantine. However, if things go south for whatever reason, I can see a total flight ban which would make more sense. But, all of this is completely speculation. So, far everything is fine with me.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
We have this quarantine in SFO, but I'm not sure if there's any enforcement. At this point, you have LEOs in many pockets of CA who will simply refuse to enforce this, and probably only those LEOs with a zealous devotion to lockdowns who will have any taste for it. If I recall, in JFK they may call or check in where you're staying and issue fines.

In either case, there isn't any jail time involved since these EOs lack the full force of law unlike if it were passed by legislators. Even then, with a negative test, there's a fat chance such a law would stand once challenged.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:45 pm

Not sure if anyone has brought it up but is saliva based test acceptable/available? Certainly they are used in college campus and many workplaces.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by freedom2020
Not sure if anyone has brought it up but is saliva based test acceptable/available? Certainly they are used in college campus and many workplaces.
Isn't the antigen rapid test done by saliva from your throat? Where the virus thrives?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:43 pm

Isn't the antigen rapid test done by saliva from your throat? Where the virus thrives?
No. Saliva based test is still a PCR test. It's just a method of sampling.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by freedom2020
No. Saliva based test is still a PCR test. It's just a method of sampling.
Then how is the Antigen Rapid Test performed, if they don't collect saliva? Blood prick of the finger? Anybody know? Because that's the test I plan to take to enter the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.