Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
What makes you think the southern border will be closed since it wasn't closed during the worse part of the lockdowns, other than for tourist walking into mexico.
The quote from Psaki about them wanting to further mitigate with more INTL restrictions. So more than just the testing what else is there? Lockdown of border is pretty much it.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
The quote from Psaki about them wanting to further mitigate with more INTL restrictions. So more than just the testing what else is there? Lockdown of border is pretty much it.
Lockdown in what way? Most foreigners are already banned from entry.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
That would be insane and the economies for both canada and mexico will certainly suffer tremendously. I hope they mean something else.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Isn't the US-Canada border already effectively closed for air travel due to quarantine requirement? And land border is still physically closed.
dcsnowwake likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
That would be insane and the economies for both canada and mexico will certainly suffer tremendously. I hope they mean something else.
If you have not checked, border with Canada, including land crossings, has been closed for quite some time. Canada has not disintegrated.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Lockdown in what way? Most foreigners are already banned from entry.
Close like Canada, Australia, NZ etc. We can still travel, but bet he says no more. Ive been going to Mexico a bunch, and cancelled all after the 72 hour test. What more could he do than 72 hour? No more other than essential to ANY country.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by destone
Good luck finding a cheaper same-day PCR test anywhere in the world. PCR (not LAMP, antigen or antibody).
I got a PCR test same day in Pakistan for about 6000 rupees ($37 the day I took it based on exchange rate).

In most developing countries the only people getting PCR tests is travellers so results are same day and costs are low in local currency
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
If you have not checked, border with Canada, including land crossings, has been closed for quite some time. Canada has not disintegrated.
I thought it was just the land border, not flights. I haven't seen anything about denial of flights to the US from Canada. And also, it's not a complete land border closure because as far as I know commerce continues between the north and southern borders. I think its just for "tourists". If they actually lockdown both borders completely it would be terrible for all the economies.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:37 pm

I thought it was just the land border, not flights. I haven't seen anything about denial of flights to the US from Canada. And also, it's not a complete land border closure because as far as I know commerce continues between the north and southern borders. I think its just for "tourists". If they actually lockdown both borders completely it would be terrible for all the economies.
Can only fly into Canada for essential reasons. Mexico flights you can be a tourist. Totally different.
Yes land borders closed both expect for essential.

This will go essential for everythere. Killing intl airlines again. Be interested to see what he tries to do domestic, and when the lawsuit come what happens.
Hold on tight for a bumpy ride for the first month.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Close like Canada, Australia, NZ etc. We can still travel, but bet he says no more. Ive been going to Mexico a bunch, and cancelled all after the 72 hour test. What more could he do than 72 hour? No more other than essential to ANY country.
Banning travel? Not sure if that would hold up at SCOTUS. Probably would be a serious violation of the 14th amendment.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:42 pm

Banning travel? Not sure if that would hold up at SCOTUS. Probably would be a serious violation of the 14th amendment.
For domestic I would agree, but they could very easily say cant intl cause thats not covered. This got really interesting today. I expected the 72 hour rule to stick and stay and start mitigating, but more of a lockdown I was hoping not and have no idea what that is.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:43 pm

Can only fly into Canada for essential reasons. Mexico flights you can be a tourist. Totally different.
Yes land borders closed both expect for essential.

This will go essential for everythere. Killing intl airlines again. Be interested to see what he tries to do domestic, and when the lawsuit come what happens.
Hold on tight for a bumpy ride for the first month.
Are you saying, you think the US will block people from leaving (like the UK did)? Or block people from arriving? or both?

I'll just wait and hear it from the horses mouth within the next week, to clear up any confusion.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:49 pm

Are you saying, you think the US will block people from leaving (like the UK did)? Or block people from arriving? or both?
If I had to bet, I think he closes border to ALL non essential travel. I mean what else more is there for restrictions than 72 hour test? Maybe negative test upon boarding?

I dont think legally he can stop state to state, but Im not a lawyer. This could get ugly. I REALLY REALLY hope im completely wrong.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:52 pm
Suspended

For domestic I would agree, but they could very easily say cant intl cause thats not covered. This got really interesting today. I expected the 72 hour rule to stick and stay and start mitigating, but more of a lockdown I was hoping not and have no idea what that is.
Even international travel is difficult to ban. The US would have to revoke its signature to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

Article 13.
(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

https://www.un.org/en/universal-decl...his%20country.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 18, 2021 at 8:09 pm
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:58 pm

Even international travel is difficult to ban. The US would have to revoke its signature to the [color=#202122]Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

[/h4]https://www.un.org/en/universal-decl...his%20country.
Thanks, that gives me a little bit of relief. I live in Mexico but I go back to the US at least twice per year and not being able to travel between the two countries would not be a good thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.