FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:32 pm
Yellowjj

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Yes, I've seen that on the internet. I don't understand why they are still banning flights from certain countries since everybody needs to have covid tests before flying. The reason I don't understand is because all the people in brazil or south africa can just fly to mexico and then fly from mexico to the US. or cross at the borders. That's the part I don't get.
Antigen tests are not as accurate as PCR tests, but the US has decided to allow them to be used for entry. Anyone besides US citizens or LPR's who have been in one of the banned countries will have to spend a minimum of 14 days in the transitioning country to gain access to the US. Most people don't have that kind of time or in some cases, the resources to do that. Some of Europe and South Africa is dealing with a new more contagious strain of covid; kind of the last thing you want to get any sort of foothold in the US, where some people already don't want to follow mask or social distance guidelines.

In my opinion the ban on Europe & the UK should have been lifted from June of last year and not used as some ploy, two days before leaving office by the former president, but that's another topic.