Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by lobo411
The US and the UK are running neck and neck for the title of "most covid cases in a heavily vaccinated nation." Does anyone realistically expect foreign tourists of any kind, from anywhere, to be admitted soon?
Would they even want to?
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Would they even want to?
I've been to Paris. I've been to Vienna. I've been to Milan.

You can't get triple mocha fudge praline ripple delight in a chocolate dipped cone with hot fudge sauce on top anywhere else! =)
Old Jul 18, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The US and the UK are running neck and neck for the title of "most covid cases in a heavily vaccinated nation." Does anyone realistically expect foreign tourists of any kind, from anywhere, to be admitted soon?

And that's without even getting into the ridiculousness of a nation awash in life-saving vaccines that people in the rest of the world would give their right arm to have...and saying "no thank you." And why? Because their membership in a political death-cult demands it.
If anything this further proves the reason the US border should reopen, particularly to the UK. There’s nothing keeping any anyone sAfEr by keeping the boarder closed at this point.
lobo411, LETTERBOY, Owenc and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cmd320
If anything this further proves the reason the US border should reopen, particularly to the UK. There’s nothing keeping any anyone sAfEr by keeping the boarder closed at this point.
If there had already been universal agreement on the above, the additional reopening would have already taken place.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If there had already been universal agreement on the above, the additional reopening would have already taken place.
Right, all the more reason why the lack of universal agreement there is just stupid and senseless at this point.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 8:20 pm

I agree with the conclusion, but disagree with the arguments to get there.

The latest stats posted here in FlyerTalk show that the UK is running about 10X the US infection number, normalized for population, and has been for the past three weeks. But even that is meaningless in well vaccinated populations. The key statistics to look at are hospitalizations and covid related deaths. Neither country is seeing a problem with these numbers at the present time.

The real problem is that both countries have constituencies that aren't vaccinated and the governments in power are afraid of public opinion those groups hold. In the UK, it skews younger, especially the under 18s and those advocating for groups that are medically fragile. In the US, it's the anti-vaxxers from both political parties.

Neither government wants to give more ammunition to those groups by allowing visitors (vacced or not). The US has admitted they are treating visitor entry as a political problem as posted upthread. The UK claims to be "following the science," yet the RAG color coding doesn't remotely match the statistics.

Bottom line: The UK press will continue to print headlines that focus on the rising infection case numbers and the inevitable new varients. HMG won't relax visitor quarantine restrictions for visitors until at least mid September, in order to see what impact "Freedom Day" has on hospitalizations. The US will continue to "study the problem," also well into fall.

I'm trying very hard not to be pissed.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I wouldn't exactly call the single biggest individual cause of deaths "not a significant problem right now", but that's an OMNI/PR argument. I know hospital workers who would definitely be happy to reduce the numbers, instead of adding sick tourists into the mix.

I'd be happy with only allowing vaccinated travelers, but I don't see that as a politically viable option, sadly.
renila and lobo411 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
CDC has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for the UK, there's going to be no way there's an opening any time soon
tauphi and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:10 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
CDC has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for the UK, there's going to be no way there's an opening any time soon
Mean nothing. Germany has been placed in Level 2 and no open
I think within few weeks even US will be banned again from EU and the next ban will be a mirror ban. Rumors from US amcham in Europe
Owenc and gudugan like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by DL77
I think within few weeks even US will be banned again from EU and the next ban will be a mirror ban. Rumors from US amcham in Europe
I hate to say it but if I had to bet, I would bet on this.
A lot of countries are going on lockdown/soft lockdown/requiring EU COVID QR code everywhere or a test which basically closes it off to non EU residents anyway.
lobo411 and Tiramisu like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by DL77
Mean nothing. Germany has been placed in Level 2 and no open
The longer they keep this up, the less likely things will return to normal. Infact, I am beginning to wonder if foreigners will ever be able to visit America again.

Hard questions have to be asked of the American government from European and other countries. At the very least we need honesty of their intentions and aspirations, regarding foreign tourists into the foreseeable future.
lobo411, Billyfergus and DL77 like this.

Last edited by Owenc; Jul 19, 2021 at 4:22 am
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Owenc
The longer they keep this up, the less likely things will return to normal. Infact, I am beginning to wonder if foreigners will ever be able to visit America again.....
Plenty of "foreigners" can visit US, from countries with far worse rates than plenty of Europe too !!
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Plenty of "foreigners" can visit US, from countries with far worse rates than plenty of Europe too !!
Yes, my whole issue is that the current restrictions make no sense whatsoever. Fair enough if USA wants to block "risky" countries but the whole problem with the current rules is that plenty of the most "risky" countries are allowed entry whilst other, less "risky" countries are not. Entirely non-sensical.
Sjoerd, lobo411, LETTERBOY and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Do you have a link for this please? Can't see anything online and CDC website still says Level 3?
lobo411, gudugan and minichr1s like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:00 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by oceanscape
Yes, my whole issue is that the current restrictions make no sense whatsoever. Fair enough if USA wants to block "risky" countries but the whole problem with the current rules is that plenty of the most "risky" countries are allowed entry whilst other, less "risky" countries are not. Entirely non-sensical.
The restrictions only make no sense if you look at them from a purely public health point of view. We can all see that allowing tested, double-vaccinated individuals to travel presents a low risk. There's clearly several political agendas that are influencing the decision making to a significantly higher degree. I've written to my MP and I'd urge you to do the same.
lobo411 and Owenc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.