Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Coronavirus and travel

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 2, 21, 7:18 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Wiki Link
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDCs website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html


Print Wikipost

Old Apr 29, 21, 1:46 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LHR (Windy day) LCY (Calm Day)
Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire)
Posts: 346
US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Given the closure of the existing thread, I thought I'd start a new one for us all to update one another on the latest developments re: the possibility of Biden announcing the lifting of the PP's restricting arrivals from the UK&I/Schengen, particularly in light of UvdL's recent announcement on incoming travellers to the EU.

I'm booked to travel there mid-July and am hopeful I'll be able to get in - although the likelihood is we'll only have one dose of vaccine by that stage as we're one of the last groups eligible for a jab. Whether that will affect us, I guess we'll have to wait and see - I'm hoping a neg. test might cut the mustard instead...
Cathay1101 is offline  
Old Apr 29, 21, 10:44 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Posts: 1,558
My thoughts are:

1) That the the ban will likely be lifted sometime within the next few months.
2) Based on the fact that the CDC has been revising it's recommendations re: vaccinated people, as well as the vaccines being reasonably effective against the variants (so far), people who can prove their vaccination will likely be able to bypass a test when entering the US. If this pans out, one would likely have to be fully vaccinated (if using a 2 dose shot).
3) Any changes will likely be reciprocal and will be announced simultaneously (or nearly so). I base this on Macron saying France had been talking with the White House about resuming travel, with no pushback from the WH (at least that I saw). Grant Shapps said he had been talking with Pete Buttigieg about it as well.

I hope like hell this gets worked out, and soon. I had to scrub a trip to London last August, and have it tentatively rescheduled for mid to late October.

Just read on the UK arrivals thread that there's talk about the US not being green on the UK travel list. That could change things. I don't think Biden lifts the ban for the UK if the US isn't green. People in the US will look at the restrictions for amber and view that as a ban in all but name.
lobo411, Goldorak, Owenc and 4 others like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 4, 21 at 7:22 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
LETTERBOY is offline  
Old Apr 30, 21, 4:25 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Malaga Spain, Lake County Florida
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
My thoughts are:

1) That the the ban will likely be lifted sometime within the next few months.
2) Based on the fact that the CDC has been revising it's recommendations re: vaccinated people, as well as the vaccines being reasonably effective against the variants (so far), people who can prove their vaccination will likely be able to bypass a test when entering the US. If this pans out, one would likely have to be fully vaccinated (if using a 2 dose shot).
3) Any changes will likely be reciprocal and will be announced simultaneously (or nearly so). I base this on Macron saying France had been talking with the White House about resuming travel, with no pushback from the WH (at least that I saw). Grant Shapps said he had been talking with Pete Buttigieg about it as well.

I hope like hell this gets worked out, and soon. I had to scrub a trip to London last August, and have it tentatively rescheduled for mid to late October.
My thoughts exactly.

I've had flights booked back and forth every month since last October and every month have to cancel, I cancelled Mays upcoming flight last night but am really hoping I can make Junes flight.
LETTERBOY and DL77 like this.
Howmuch is offline  
Old Apr 30, 21, 4:44 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Sussex by the Sea
Programs: Would quite like the freedom to fly and regain some status, please
Posts: 510
Originally Posted by Howmuch View Post
My thoughts exactly.

I've had flights booked back and forth every month since last October and every month have to cancel, I cancelled Mays upcoming flight last night but am really hoping I can make Junes flight.
Yep - still have fingers crossed for an early June opening by both sides. Hoping that this weeks random rumour date of 28 June is just more uninformed guesswork, as it scuppers my June plans...
lobo411, LETTERBOY, DL77 and 2 others like this.
Professor Yaffle is offline  
Old Apr 30, 21, 6:17 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PVG, FRA, SEA, HEL
Programs: UA Premier Gold
Posts: 4,782
So, I am happy we can discuss this topic again.
1. Biden wouldn't care much whether the UK put the US on a green list or not.
2. I am more looking for an effective lifting of the Schengen Travel Ban in August 2021, that's because we need some "alignment" between the incidence (no. of infections in 7 days for each 100.000 people) and vaccination numbers.
3. The Biden administration may lift the ban for Schengen, UK, Ireland at the same time.

In order to keep this thread living, please refrain from ridiculous statements of facts.
warakorn is offline  
Old Apr 30, 21, 9:09 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Confirmed
Programs: Have
Posts: 1,033
US seems to focus on reciprocity on travel-related negotiations. I would speculate both side giving green light to the fully vaccinated first, at the same time, recognising the vaccines each country recognises. So that'll include BioNTech, Modena, AstraZeneca and Johnson, I guess.
LETTERBOY and DL77 like this.
SKRan is offline  
Old Apr 30, 21, 9:38 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PVG, FRA, SEA, HEL
Programs: UA Premier Gold
Posts: 4,782
Just in my mind - it's possible, but still hard to believe that the US would require full vaccination for VWP-visitors - without a backup solution (e.g. PCR testing).
Current domestic politics would implode if something would be imposed on US citizens at any place in the Continental USA.

recognising the vaccines each country recognises. So that'll include BioNTech, Modena, AstraZeneca and Johnson, I guess.
Certainly not - Hungary is recognizing Sputnik V. I doubt that the US will recognize Sputnik. Hungary is both a member of Schengen and the US Visa Waiver Program.
northinsouth likes this.
warakorn is offline  
Old May 1, 21, 5:41 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 13,100
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Just in my mind - it's possible, but still hard to believe that the US would require full vaccination for VWP-visitors - without a backup solution (e.g. PCR testing).
Current domestic politics would implode if something would be imposed on US citizens at any place in the Continental USA.

Certainly not - Hungary is recognizing Sputnik V. I doubt that the US will recognize Sputnik. Hungary is both a member of Schengen and the US Visa Waiver Program.
In addition, it's still doubtful if the US would recognize AstroZeneca in this case.

I wouldn't give the company name for privacy, however, one of the US based companies that I work with wouldn't allow people without CDC approved vaccination ( J&J, Pfizer, Moderna ) into their buildings starting this fall.
TravisMT81 likes this.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old May 1, 21, 7:22 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
Posts: 357
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
In addition, it's still doubtful if the US would recognize AstroZeneca in this case.

I wouldn't give the company name for privacy, however, one of the US based companies that I work with wouldn't allow people without CDC approved vaccination ( J&J, Pfizer, Moderna ) into their buildings starting this fall.
i really dont know how this will work in an international setting. If that US company has foreign offices, what happens if many of the staff had the AZ vaccine?

And without some kind of official vaccine passport (which the US says it wont have, at least domestically), then is the US really going to recognise a bunch of very unofficial looking, handwritten vaccination cards from multiple countries?
Farringdon is offline  
Old May 1, 21, 9:00 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: near to SFO and LHR
Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Posts: 2,210
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
Just read on the UK arrivals thread that there's talk about the US not being green on the UK travel list. That could change things. I don't think Biden lifts the ban for the UK if the US isn't green. People in the US will look at the restrictions for amber and view that as a ban in all but name.
Yes, I think to be "green" on the UK list (if I'm understanding the rating system), the US would have to have a test positivity rate of under 4 (we do, as of yesterday, by a hair), and a daily infection rate under 10 per 100,000 (we are at 15, but have been dropping fairly rapidly recently). So, by the numbers we have a way to go, and my fear is that the vaccination-resistant population will slow the decline of the infection rate, not to mention the policies in place in some states which have resulted in stubbornly-high infection rates (25 in Florida today for example)
StingWest is offline  
Old May 1, 21, 11:12 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LAX
Posts: 3,253
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
In addition, it's still doubtful if the US would recognize AstroZeneca in this case.
AZ and Novavax are in the same position regarding EUA: both are handcuffed by supply chain shortages and production issues. The AZ vaccine is safe and effective. The Novavax vaccine is extremely safe and highly effective.

What happened is that the FDA let JNJ get away with a lot of shenanigans. FDA gave JNJ EUA despite the fact that they were having production issues, to say nothing of the Emergent scandal. And now, as has been reported in Politico, the FDA is compensating by being strict on Novavax and AZ.

Ultimately, both vaccines will be EUA'ed in the next few weeks. The Indian surge has shown that it's too early to return to the FDA's slow, rigorous, slow, careful, slow, slow, slow approval process. We are still in an emergency, so EUAs are warranted.

Last edited by lobo411; May 1, 21 at 3:26 pm
lobo411 is offline  
Old May 1, 21, 4:11 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Posts: 1,558
Originally Posted by Farringdon View Post
And without some kind of official vaccine passport (which the US says it wont have, at least domestically), then is the US really going to recognise a bunch of very unofficial looking, handwritten vaccination cards from multiple countries?
They won't have a choice, considering that's what we get when we get vaccinated (the CDC cards). Be pretty hypocritical for the US not not accept the same thing they give their own people.
lobo411 likes this.
LETTERBOY is offline  
Old May 1, 21, 5:01 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LAX
Posts: 3,253
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
They won't have a choice, considering that's what we get when we get vaccinated (the CDC cards). Be pretty hypocritical for the US not not accept the same thing they give their own people.
Yup. It's weird that people are treating the possibility of vaccination fraud as something different from way things have always been. The fact is that in the pre-covid world, we treated nations differently with regards to border entry.

American citizens could enter the EU more or less by providing their passport upon arrival, but Lebanese citizens had to file a visa application weeks in advance. And when I went to Vietnam, I had to apply for a visa weeks in advance, while my Thai friend was only required to show his passport upon arrival.

It's going to be the same with vaccination requirements. The US, UK, EU, and other members of the First World club will mutually assume that First World vaccination cards or whatever is provided are good unless proven fraudulent. The rest of the world will probably face more strict requirements until vaccines begin to penetrate their societies. But it has always been that way. Nothing is changing.
lobo411 is offline  
Old May 1, 21, 5:13 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 9,180
Originally Posted by Farringdon View Post
i really dont know how this will work in an international setting. If that US company has foreign offices, what happens if many of the staff had the AZ vaccine?

And without some kind of official vaccine passport (which the US says it wont have, at least domestically), then is the US really going to recognise a bunch of very unofficial looking, handwritten vaccination cards from multiple countries?
the EU vaccine digital certificate is coming soon...

EU to Test Covid Vaccine Certificates With Goal of June Roll-Out - Bloomberg

Digital Green Certificate (europa.eu)
nk15 is offline  
Old May 1, 21, 6:16 pm
  #15  
exp
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Posts: 5,227
The G7 is in the UK June 11-13. Biden is going there.

Though France has said they plan to open to tourism on June 9, barring any big surges, maybe if there hasn't been a big general announcement before the G7, Biden will announce the resumption of TATL tourism with his EU counterparts during or at the end of the summit.

Don't they usually have some big group communique in a show of unity?
lobo411 and henkensb like this.
exp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread