Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by chil
Nobody cares about foreigners here.
I hold "the highest possible rank" employment visa (O1A -- extraordinary abilities), which means that the fact that I am qualified to do the job the American applicants cannot (and hence I am not competing at the "normal" job market) is certified by the Department of Labor -- I still cannot travel with it -- they request the stupid NIE every time and the embassies in Europe/UK are extremely unresponsive and slow. Moreover, I work for the US government -- even this does not help. I don't know -- maybe I should contact the lawyers at my workplace (we have a plenty of them in the DC office and they all do nothing most of the time) and sue the government?
The ban on O and L visas is incomprehensible and one would think that it would be lifted as soon as humanly possible, especially as F visa holders can travel without restrictions. The stricter requirements for NIE are also puzzling. Business travel really can not have posed such a significant risk for spread as to warrant these measures.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
-ve test, Fully vaccinated?

Hello,
Wondering why US does not allow anyone to travel with a -ve Covid test xx hrs before departure ? I mean if the person has proven than they are Covid negative or recovered from Covid recently, what risk is that person? If those tests cannot be believed, then how come some country travelers are allowed with that certificate, since that certificate cannot be relied on, and if those tests are something reliable, then why not allow it for the whole world?

Basically,
- If someone if fully vaccinated, they why force them to take a negative test ?
- If someone is fully vaccinated and/or has a negative test result, why restrict them from traveling (regardless of the country)?
59Impala, oceanscape and DL77 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Tiramisu
The ban on O and L visas is incomprehensible and one would think that it would be lifted as soon as humanly possible, especially as F visa holders can travel without restrictions. The stricter requirements for NIE are also puzzling. Business travel really can not have posed such a significant risk for spread as to warrant these measures.
This is what’s so puzzling. They're free to enter the US after spending 14 (15) days in another country with abysmal vaccination percentages relative to the UK. While I suppose one can make case that this is meant to discourage tourism, it certainly shouldn’t apply to the above.

If it's that important, at least force them to quarantine the 14 days here in a local US hotel and support our economy, not unlike HK or Singapore. At least then I could understand the motivation.
Tiramisu, Billyfergus and DL77 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tim_T
Pure speculation,

now the U.K. has announced that the required to self isolate if you have been in close contact with a positive COVID person will be removed from 16th august for those with two doses of vaccine, will the 16th august also be the date for those travel from amber counties with two doses to not have to quarantine? And if so, could the USA also announce a similar date in reciprocation?

given that I have a vacation to the USA booked for the 19th august, I clearly hope so - but accept I’m clutching at straws.
Really good question - I canceled my flight tomorrow to the UK form LAX for the 7th (!!) time since the onset of the pandemic. After a few failed attempts and guesses in 2020, I shifted the departure out by over 6 months foolishly thinking "I'm sure it will all be sorted by then!"

Nevertheless, I apparently, like you, was grasping at straws for my May, June, and July departures. Now - I'm set for 13 August and am very eager to know what the 16 August dates may mean!
(And most curiously... if 16 August is the end of mandatory quarantine for people coming in to the UK from amber countries... if I land on the 14th, and isolate for 48 hours, will I be able to exit on the 16th as well... or will be I be forced to complete the quarantine while those that arrived 2 days after me will have 8 days of freedom prior to me!?! )
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Donsyb
absolute rubbish! Americans can come to the UK any time they like - they just have to self isolate for 10 days (or 5 with test) when they gets here.
To many Americans, that's basically the same thing as a ban. Most of us only get 2 weeks vacation a year, who's going to spend it all inside a a hotel room?

Originally Posted by Owenc
Not to be inflammatory but I think we have also learned that the USA is not a great ally to anyone really.
The US, outside of NATO commitments, is kind of a fickle ally - always has been, always will be.

It is such a strange attitude to be indifferent to the feelings of other countries
Why should the US government worry about the feelings of the countries? They don't work for other countries, they work for the people of the United States. And even then, they only care about half the population (which half depends on which party is in power).

almost as if you are your own world.
We basically are. There are rather large oceans on our east & west sides, our northern is bordered by a country that (while physically large) has a population about as big as California, and our southern side is bordered by a country that has nowhere near the political, economic, or military strength that we do.

Originally Posted by 59Impala
There must be other reasons for the US not opening up. It has nothing to do w/Covid. We have to accept it is here and simply live with it. There must be some political or economic reasons.
Trump crapped on Fauci & the CDC, so now Biden and his cronies are worshipping them. IMO, that's the only reason.

Last edited by LETTERBOY; Jul 6, 2021 at 12:08 pm Reason: punctuation error
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:11 pm

Summary

Europeans: "The United States is cruel, incompetent, and unfair!"

Americans: "What?"

Europeans: "Please, please, please lift the ban already and let us into your cruel, incompetent, and unfair country!"
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Parkdesigner
(And most curiously... if 16 August is the end of mandatory quarantine for people coming in to the UK from amber countries... if I land on the 14th, and isolate for 48 hours, will I be able to exit on the 16th as well... or will be I be forced to complete the quarantine while those that arrived 2 days after me will have 8 days of freedom prior to me!?! )
Unfortunately, if history repeats itself, you are bound by the rules applicable on the day you enter the country. So the silly scenario you describe above is what we expect it to be. Yes it's ridiculous, but please don't shoot the messenger! Another point to note is that for now, some rumours have been that it could be limited to UK residents only, but it is only wild speculation at this stage. There should be an update in Parliament on Wed or Thu. Follow this thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...val-tests.html) for an update as soon as it happens.
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
To many Americans, that's basically the same thing as a ban. Most of us only get 2 weeks vacation a year, who's going to spend it all inside a a hotel room?.
This, 100%.

Isolation AKA travel ban.
LETTERBOY, cmd320 and Parkdesigner like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alex67500
Unfortunately, if history repeats itself, you are bound by the rules applicable on the day you enter the country.
Well nuts...

... but please don't shoot the messenger!
Wouldn't dream of it.
(Trust me, if I'm taking aim at anyone, it's a certain Transport Secretary! )

Another point to note is that for now, some rumours have been that it could be limited to UK residents only...
Yup - been waiting and worrying about that one too...

Thanks for the intel!
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
To many Americans, that's basically the same thing as a ban. Most of us only get 2 weeks vacation a year, who's going to spend it all inside a a hotel room?

The US, outside of NATO commitments, is kind of a fickle ally - always has been, always will be.

Why should the US government worry about the feelings of the countries? They don't work for other countries, they work for the people of the United States. And even then, they only care about half the population (which half depends on which party is in power).

We basically are. There are rather large oceans on our east & west sides, our northern is bordered by a country that (while physically large) has a population about as big as California, and our southern side is bordered by a country that has nowhere near the political, economic, or military strength that we do.

Trump crapped on Fauci & the CDC, so now Biden and his cronies are worshipping them. IMO, that's the only reason.
So if you are your own world, why do you have a concern about the entry conditions to Europe? Why do you expect the European Union to give you freedom of movement but scoff at us for expecting equivalence from your government?

By the way America isn’t its own world. It’s only 2500 odd miles away from me and a 6 hour flight. Easily reachable.

The US C130’s that fly over my house every day and night is testament to that.

Unfortunately, if history repeats itself, you are bound by the rules applicable on the day you enter the country. So the silly scenario you describe above is what we expect it to be. Yes it's ridiculous, but please don't shoot the messenger! Another point to note is that for now, some rumours have been that it could be limited to UK residents only, but it is only wild speculation at this stage. There should be an update in Parliament on Wed or Thu. Follow this thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...val-tests.html) for an update as soon as it happens.
I can’t see the Biden administration doing this. President Trump only did so to rile the EU in my eyes.

Originally Posted by UA Apologist
Europeans: "The United States is cruel, incompetent, and unfair!"

Americans: "What?"

Europeans: "Please, please, please lift the ban already and let us into your cruel, incompetent, and unfair country!"
I think that many “Europeans” enjoy visiting America but at the same time are aware of an air of superiority where we are expected not to be treated equally on the world stage.

Americans expect benefits and to be given freedom of movement but look at us as if we are crazy for requesting equivalence, implying that we are inferior.

In reading the thread over the past few months there is a minority view that has been exposed by those who appear to be grasping at straws and at any old excuse to keep the borders closed. Because they don’t want the VWP to continue.

And I think that this is the true reason why the US border remains closed. Because a sizeable amount of people don’t want us coming. And as evidenced by the comments on here, the American political system puts the views of hardliners above respecting foreigners who have no ill intentions.

If America ends up losing business long term this will be a lesson that you don’t take your allies for granted.
59Impala likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 8, 2021 at 12:59 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I think that many “Europeans” enjoy visiting America but at the same time are aware of an air of superiority where we are not treated equally.

Americans expect benefits and to be given freedom of movement but look at us as if we are crazy for requesting equivalence, implying that we are inferior.

In reading the thread over the past few months it’s been clear that there is a minority who appear to be grasping at straws and at any old excuse to keep the borders closed.
I think your complaint isn't with Americans but with the American government. I don't know anyone personally who would be against opening the boarder of European tourists, in fact, I'd be willing to bet if you polled most Americans, they wouldn't even know the border was closed to Europeans. Unfortunately, the American approach to government is much like anything else in the US, the best marketing strategy wins because most aren't willing to do their own research and formulate their own conclusions, with many taking any information at face value.

I also don't really think Americans expect freedom of movement. The reality is Europeans, on average, are exponentially more well-traveled than Americans. I've been with a number of Americans in Europe who have been surprised at how easy it is to move between countries in the EU due to the lack of border enforcement.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
I think your complaint isn't with Americans but with the American government. I don't know anyone personally who would be against opening the boarder of European tourists, in fact, I'd be willing to bet if you polled most Americans, they wouldn't even know the border was closed to Europeans. Unfortunately, the American approach to government is much like anything else in the US, the best marketing strategy wins because most aren't willing to do their own research and formulate their own conclusions, with many taking any information at face value.

I also don't really think Americans expect freedom of movement. The reality is Europeans, on average, are exponentially more well-traveled than Americans. I've been with a number of Americans in Europe who have been surprised at how easy it is to move between countries in the EU due to the lack of border enforcement.
I was referring to the ability to travel to the European Union unrestricted.

The reality is that the American government has put up a large amount of resistance to reopening and appears to have no desire to budge from that approach.

Again what is the reason for that? It is something other than the pandemic because we are now at 60% of adults fully vaccinated.

I think it is possible that governments are in the process of a long term realignment of foreign travelling regulations. I would not be surprised if an American reopening is brought with restrictions, for example, a reduction in visiting time.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
I was referring to the ability to travel to the European Union unrestricted.

The reality is that the American government has put up a large amount of resistance to reopening and appears to have no desire to budge from that approach.

Again what is the reason for that? It is something other than the pandemic because we are now at 60% of adults fully vaccinated.

I think it is possible that governments are in the process of a long term realignment of foreign travelling regulations. I would not be surprised if an American reopening is brought with restrictions, for example, a reduction in visiting time.
It's hard to convey tone on these message boards, so please know I'm genuinely asking this as an open question, not a rhetorical one. Do you think that the Americans handling of this is different than say Australia or parts of SE Asia? I'm wondering if we're (I'm American) in a group of countries thinking in isolationist terms because of our geography, or do you think because we are unique from these other countries because of our relationship to Global Commerce, our pension for bellicosity--however you'd like to think of it? As someone who supported the ban initially, but really think that we are in a very different situation right now and should adjust accordingly, I'm wondering if we're dangling alone in our recalcitrance or if we're behaving like other nations?
tauphi and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

The US government itself is the reason for that. The government is supposed to represent the will of the majority of the people, however in practice the government represents what will get its own career politicians and incumbents re-elected. Like I said, most Americans probably don't even know the border is still closed and therefore it's not a pressing issue in the grand scope of getting re-elected for most corrupt politicians. By the time elections roll around the border will likely be open and no-one is going to remember that it was closed or why it was closed 4+ months past when it should have reopened.

Couple that with the US government's lack of ability to get anything done in a timely manner and you're left with what you have, a bunch of useless idiots running the show making decisions based on feeling rather than logic.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by northinsouth
. Do you think that the Americans handling of this is different than say Australia or parts of SE Asia?
Very different as SE Asia applies the restrictions in order to ensure the virus doesn’t get imported, whereas the US, by allowing citizens and most nationalities in with little check and no quarantine, doesn’t care about importing the virus - it simply wants to make some form of twisted power play point against Europeans.
tauphi, Cathay1101, Owenc and 9 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.