Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How many trips have you taken since Corona "took hold"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:17 am
Original Poster

I'm going out on a limb here, since there's so much potential for responses to be greeted by... unkind questioning of motivation. But I'm hoping the mods will will give it a shot to run for a bit. If they feel otherwise, I totally understand.

Since "the start" of corona, how many *individual* flight segments have you been on?

For purposes of this question, lets stick to segments, not overall trips, on commercial carriers (not charter or private), and not distinguish between domestic and international - since that begins to get complicated fast.

As for start date, I've chose March 15th. Not out of some grand scientific analyses - simply because that, in my mind, was around when the US really started locking down (LA and NY), and the talk of "hotspots" began. But, if you've got a compelling reason there should be a different date.. I'm all ears.

For me, as of this evening, 71 segments. I've actually gone from being no-status on AA and Southwest to Gold and A-list, respectively, during corona. (and with no meaningful volume of activity on either beforehand).

It's my sincere hope we can enjoy this thread - if you feel someones particular post exhibits a travel behavior which contrasts what you deem prudent behavior, I understand, but would hope that conversation can be contained elsewhere.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:32 am

A lot of trips domestically. From mid-March to end-July, I've been on 6 roundtrips so 12 individual flight segments, with many more planned over the next few months. Of course nowhere near 71 segments like you which I can only assume is work-related otherwise that's too much moving around for just vacation trips.

Primarily because of super cheap flights with full-cancellation flexibility and blocked middle seat even on basic fares, along with wfh allowing to leave early on Friday for a weekend - I booked almost every summer weekend, or even double-booked, and then would take or cancel the flight based on the mood. This summer has been great for exploring this country for me, from the state parks in Utah, to the waterfalls in Oregon, to the beaches in Florida, to the great lake in Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan, to the mountains in Washington, and now leaving tomorrow to explore the majesty of Alaska, with tons of other stuff planned domestically through Aug/Sept/Oct already.

I really wish that free cancellation becomes the norm, because it means I can book say this weekend and the next weekend both for the same trip to a destination and then based on the weather reports pick the perfect weekend to go without any cancellation costs. And the airlines should be fine also since the funds just become travel vouchers which I'm bound to use later.

Frankly this is a great time for domestic hiking/nature trips if your health risk tolerance is high (i.e. you're young and don't live with someone at-risk, and are regularly getting tested which we are before/after every weekend trip). The only issue has been crowded national parks in Utah/Yellowstone etc which is easily avoided by checking out state parks instead.
Presguy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
~40 WN segments (or so, too lazy to check ) and about 12 Marriott nights. It was nice to be able to buy my flight home while in the Uber (as my plans were variable) and get WN's cheapest WGA price.
Presguy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Big fat 0 for me, despite spending around 20 nights in hotels over last two months. I switched all my travel to car or train, flying is too much hassle right now with all the restrictions and meassures in place.
Sjoerd, DaveS, The_Bouncer and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:48 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
8! Feels more nornal the more you do it.
Presguy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Zero. And planning to keep it that way for the time being.
Lots of trips by bicycle and car.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
30+ flight segments. To (in order) EWR-LAX-EWR, PHL-ORD, EWR-RDU-IAD-EWR, EWR-SFO-EWR, EWR-DEN-RAP-DEN-EWR, PHL-DEN-PHL, EWR-LAX-IAH-EWR, PHL-DEN-PHL, EWR-LAX-EWR, EWR-ORD-GRB-ORD-PHL. All were really fun trips and most were due to virus panic over the potential operational losses (local reps were unable to meet the changing health and safety requirements). I really lloved being in an airport that was practically empty and camping in hotel rooms that only provided running water and AC.
Presguy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Zero since early March. In Feb/early March I was in Thailand, including 2 domestic flights in TH. Got back to Denmakr approx. 10 days before the lockdown across Europe started.

I did a domestic road trip in Denmark last week for my first week of summer holiday.

Skipped a trip next week to Barcelona in Spain (due to rise in infections there) - luckily nothing booked yet.

Planning a 1 week holiday in Cyprus in AUG. Cheap Wizz Air ticket to LCA bought (will be the first time on W6) so I might end up traveling if the infections numbers for Cyprus remain low.

Last edited by SK AAR; Aug 3, 2020 at 8:03 am Reason: added info
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
We did 3 segments on a one way trip to Asia the third week of March. Was supposed to fly back next week, but the flights were canceled by the carriers. SQ, BR and JL.

Self quarantined for 14 days, by our own choice, upon arrival. One local hotel stay earlier this month. Before that, I hadn’t left the house at all, in about 3 months.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:31 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Two.
But I travel more by train, writing this from the ICE to Amsterdam for a weekend photographing canals, hopefully in a quiet time.
the810 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Zero flights. Just too much hassle and too unpleasant an experience at the moment. I'm much happier in the car.

Done a few road trips and planning to do a lot more.
Silver Fox, the810 and Presguy like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Nowhere. ( I had a long weekend in Vienna towards the end of January) but since then have been working from home. ( took a week of in april) ( had to cancel two weeks in Las Vegas/San diego in mid april)

Going to Venice for a week starting a week on saturday.

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
A bigger fat/slim ZERO hate it.. its the time in almost 25 yrs plus that I have not traveled on a regular schedule (all international for me... )
Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I did 24 segments before Feb 20, then 0 from Feb 20-July 1. Have done 2 since then. A lot of overland this summer, but 9 more scheduled between now and Sept. In the middle of a 6 week trip.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:19 am

Two segments on FR so far...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.