Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How many trips have you taken since Corona "took hold"?

How many trips have you taken since Corona "took hold"?

Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
The airlines should be giving at least triple status points for us warriors who keep on flying during COVID as a show of appreciation of our loyalty!
Probably not a good idea as it would encourage people who do not need to travel or who should not travel to chase the points and status.

To answer the OPs question, it is 0 for me. My company has a moratorium on air travel and only car travel if absolutely required. The rest is WFH. The past few years I have traveled 45+ weeks a year (some air, some car) and would sometimes wish for a couple of consecutive weeks at home. Now, after 5 MONTHS I am going stir crazy - too much of a good thing. I am looking forward to resuming travel, but not comfortable with it yet.
DTWflyer and aztimm like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: QF WP, SQ & VA Gold, IHG Spire AMB, HH Diamond + BA, AA, CX
Using the start as 15/3, one international one way (DPS-MEL), two domestic return (MEL-SYD-MEL & MEL-CBR-MEL).

I was in Asia at the start of March as things were ramping up in Aus, being HK, Singapore and Malaysia (trip was MEL-SYD-HKG-KUL-SIN-MEL), got a call while I was in KL advising me to work from home when back in Australia since I was only back for three days. That trip included my last A380 flight and last flight in F.

Flew to Indonesia on Friday 13/3, the announcement was made that isolation would become mandatory on return to Australia was made while I was in the air. Got back to Australia on 20/3. This trip was the last where any lounge was accessible (they hadn't reopened in SYD/CBR when I went, and are still shut at MEL).

For now Victorians can't go anywhere else so I'm fully grounded. Work has been fully home based (last day in the office was end Feb) with a few (probably 3/4) journeys within Victoria by car (400km round trip each time, but mostly travel time and very limited interaction with others).
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:42 pm

Ze.Ro.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: Marriott TE, United Silver, Hilton Diamond
In Jan and Feb I did a week in Taiwan and Beijing. Went to London for a month, then Munich for a week before coming back to America and been in New Jersey ever since.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: LH, DL
4 segments for one leisure trip
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

The airlines should be giving at least triple status points for us warriors who keep on flying during COVID as a show of appreciation of our loyalty!
That would also cause some really big loyalty shifts, I'll bet.

As it is, my loyalty has totally disappeared. With schedules so cut, I simply go with the best schedule, regardless of carrier. With lounges limited, terminals uncrowded, typically more open seats, etc - there really aren't any meaningful perks of status at the moment.

And, at least for <5 hour domestic flights, I'd rather have econ, with a seat blocked next to me, than 1st. I'm not napping, I'm typically working. And the bag space, second tray table, etc are far more useful for that than domestic 1st. Certainly wasn't flying for the meals.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Zero. And I have little interest in travelling anywhere right now by plane.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:50 pm

Zero flights since it started. 2 leisure trips by car (each ~3 hour 1 way) with 5 hotel nights total.
Still had a domestic roundtrip flight later this year that I postponed from April, but will probably end up cancelling it at this point.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Life. Marriott T/Life, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond,UA 1K
Zero since March 1st and not missing the Uber to LAX, waiting around and the long flights.
It's the first time since 1995 that I have not flown anywhere internationally for longer than a 30 day window.
Many cancelled trips for work and pleasure and we drove from Los Angeles to South Dakota, flying with miles would have been easier, quicker and cheaper
I am enjoying no jet lag.

Last edited by GLOBALFLYERCT; Jul 30, 2020 at 11:33 pm
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:20 am
Suspended

Have had three flights so far with more to come this month and then probably a pause as I am switching jobs/going home. All trips involved were to visit family.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 3:18 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Presguy

As it is, my loyalty has totally disappeared. With schedules so cut, I simply go with the best schedule, regardless of carrier. With lounges limited, terminals uncrowded, typically more open seats, etc - there really aren't any meaningful perks of status at the moment.

And, at least for <5 hour domestic flights, I'd rather have econ, with a seat blocked next to me, than 1st. I'm not napping, I'm typically working. And the bag space, second tray table, etc are far more useful for that than domestic 1st. Certainly wasn't flying for the meals.
Yes I go with schedules and transit point as well. In Europe, Lufthansa is killing it with really good scheduling and very good reliability (they let you know at least 15 days in advance if they cancel a flight and usually they have another flight the same day but a few hours before/later). I have their frequent flier programme, so it worked out well for me. It's funny, some flights are 100% full and some are 50% full, depends on the sector, no social distancing on these flights in Europe.

I still have some vouchers with them, so will likely fly again in the next few weeks unless there is a huge spike in cases and quarantine is reimposed.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Zero flight segments. Have done three drivings trips for leisure travel. Zero air travel planned for the foreseeable future until there is a vaccine.

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Aug 10, 2020 at 6:36 am
Old Jul 31, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Presguy

No change in my loyalty. Thirty+ segments All on the same airline. Upgraded to all but three segments. 2 on single cabin AC and 1 purchased fare. Why would I fly anywhere else?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
No change in my loyalty. Thirty+ segments All on the same airline. Upgraded to all but three segments. 2 on single cabin AC and 1 purchased fare. Why would I fly anywhere else?
Good point. Unfortunately, my flights aren't to a consistent set of destinations - even before, it didn't always make sense for me to choose the "loyalty" airline, simply because they didn't offer great options to where I was headed.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
WN is giving us double. Better than nothing!
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.