Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How many trips have you taken since Corona "took hold"?

How many trips have you taken since Corona "took hold"?

Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
6 Segments since leaving HK in mid Feb, HK-DOH-DFW, DFW-DEN RT and DFW-LAX RT. Down from 100k miles flown Jan 1- Feb 28th....
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
3 segments--a round trip DCA-MHT in the latter part of March. One road trip to southern Pennsylvania from D.C. Quite a comedown.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:22 am
dxl

Programs: AC*E75K, National EE
Just 2 repatriation segments: LIR-IAH-YYZ on 10/11 July, 1 night Marriott IAH. Basically nothing from 7 March through 10 July.
First "routine" trip will be week of 9 August, YYZ-ORD-ICT return. I have some trepidation about it but things need to get done.
Of course on return to YYZ another 14-day self-administered quarantine period will kick-in.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the interesting replies - I'm trying to reconcile against what I'm (anecdotally) seeing as I travel. Some airports (PHX), for instance, seem to be running at almost "full tilt", whereas others are still quite quiet.

Judging by this tiny sample, it seems like most of the "regulars" are still off the road.

So if we assume (and we all know the fallacy there), there's gotta be some discrepancy.

My two thoughts:

1) The flights that *are* running offer much lower capacity, so while there's fewer flights, they are, relatively, busier - thus giving the illusion of busy "chunks" of airports

or

2) More of the flyers I'm seeing are leisure travelers - who might otherwise not be going places, but are taking advantage of cheap fares and not being represented by users here.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by Presguy; Jul 30, 2020 at 9:16 pm Reason: Fix typo
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I was in Taiwan and Japan up until the end of January, when it was just starting to come out in the news. My first week back (last week of January), I was in Bellevue, WA, then moved between San Diego, SF, Austin, SLC, and a few other places. Ended back up in Bellevue the week the first deaths in the US were announced in Kirkland, then did my final onsite week for work in SLC the last week of February before everything else going forward was canceled and moved to remote work.

As far as since it officially took hold, I've only been to Golden, CO (ONT-DEN direct) and Bozeman, MT (ONT-DFW-BZN) via airplane, and up to Mammoth via car. This is the lowest travel activity I've had since I started traveling for work in 2016.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by the810
flying is too much hassle right now with all the restrictions and measures in place.
WYS. I never feared getting on a plane so was flying this entire time, but now the "fun" has been taken out of flying- thankfully lately I've had less traveling to do recently.
Silver Fox, the810 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Zero.

Maybe will get back on the horse in late Sept / Oct, not sure.

All my personal and work travel has been via car.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
4 segments (total of 1 trip)
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Zero. No plans since everything booked got cancelled and laying low for now.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Two leisure trips outside home, both by car -- long weekend to Mt. Shasta (about 3 hours from home) and one-week road trip to UT/ID (12-hour drive each way). I am headed back to Idaho on Saturday, again by car. Business travel is dead until at least end of 2020, but given how our profits are looking I would expect there will also not be much travel available in 2021, even if CV19 were to "disappear" as some say it will......
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Zero since this all started.

Had 18 segments in by early March, and typically have 130+ segments/year.

So approximately 55 segments that I would have had between then and now.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I did a bunch of flying in January, some when news was just coming out of China:

Trip #1 : DFW-DOH-ADL-MEL-BNE-ADL-DOH-DFW
Trip #2 : AUS-DFW-LHR-DFW-AUS

I haven't flown at all since January. I'm scheduled to fly in mid-August. Given the current state of things, I will probably go ahead and proceed, unless things dramatically change before that. It will be 4 domestic segments on AA.

I have done a big roadtrip (in a rental vehicle), about 3400 miles. From near Austin, Texas through some of New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and Oklahoma. Things were definitely different, and some check-in agents at hotels said that they were getting more people like me, doing roadtrips.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
I'm in healthcare. 68 segments, all domestic on AA and UA mostly, one early on with DL. Mostly determined by who was still flying in/out of DSM and the mostly smaller cities I'm trying to get to, with the best schedules.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Last flew mid-February, returning from trip to Japan (4 total segments). Before leaving on the originating flight in late January, virus was making headlines out of China. The trip was filled with pleasure, but also anxiety. No way will we be flying again anywhere until this situation calms down and there is a clearer picture.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
The airlines should be giving at least triple status points for us warriors who keep on flying during COVID as a show of appreciation of our loyalty!
kennycrudup likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.