Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How many trips have you taken since Corona "took hold"?

How many trips have you taken since Corona "took hold"?

Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
I was busy with quite few flights up until my last down to Lesotho via JNB/BFN in second week of March. I drove down to Lesotho and they were pretty jumpy at the border. The airport there closed before I left, so I was lucky to have driven and get back before SA and UK locked down. No flights since, but I am hoping my holiday to Greece is still possible in 2 weeks time.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
0. The one work trip I had planned was pushed to later this year and then canceled. Other work trips this year that might have happened probably wonít.

The transatlantic leisure trip I had planned was cancelled due to quarantine rules at the destination.

I elected to cancel another leisure trip due to concerns about flying (this was in May). Thankfully they had changed my flight time, so I got a full refund.

Until mid-July I had not been more than 20 miles from home (including working from home for 10 weeks). Went on a much-needed road trip and logged almost 1,400 miles.

No current plans to fly anywhere. Might fly at Christmas to see family, or might drive.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
WN is giving us double. Better than nothing!
Thatís generous; LH absolutely nothing extra and Iíve been on 6 of their planes since the pandemic started!
Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
WN is giving us double. Better than nothing!
I've been getting a fair number of those Southwest "Surprise and Delight" thank you emails, seemingly randomly, after flights.

I mean, I can't take em to the bank, but I won't complain.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:03 pm

None, although Iíve been on the fence and battling myself about a trip I had booked to London. My sons father is there and I havenít seen him for almost a year now, he hasnít been able to even see our infant son yet. Which is why I havenít traveled, Iíd hate to go and bring anything back to the baby. I keep trying to read and research about the risk of catching it on the plane or the airport, Id be flying delta one which I believe has some perks, boarding first, getting off first and the sky club would limit my exposure to others in ATL but I think Iím just too scared even with an n95 and face shield lol.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
3 trips - 2 by road (one to Maine, one to NH), and one by plane (visiting relatives in CA - simply don't have the time for the 1.5+ weeks to drive back and forth). I will be going back to Maine later this month, but the cost differential is so large in favor of flying (rental cars are very expensive out of NYC) that we will be flying. Given how empty airports are, along with the procedures in place, I feel pretty comfortable getting on a plane. All of the above trips were late June or later, so long after the peak of the (so far) first outbreak in the Northeast.

Absolutely zero business travel, though, and probably none for the rest of the year. I would venture to guess this will extend to at least the end of this coming winter as well (so to at least early 2021).
Old Aug 1, 2020, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
3 segments so far, I am in the middle of my first trip.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Presguy
As for start date, I've chose March 15th.
I was in the middle a weekend trip then, so 1 segment then.

I had to cancel a connecting round trip in June (that was booked last year) because of quarantines imposed at the destination, and booked an in-state nonstop trip in July as a replacement (in terms of using up my PTO from work). So 2 segments then, but that's in place of 4 segments I had originally planned to fly.

I'm not sure when I'm going to take my next flying trip, not because I don't want to, but simply because airlines seem to be cancelling flights to the smaller airports that I want to fly to (in the US Southwest), so it may make more sense to drive if they don't reinstate those flights.

And I don't particularly want to fly out of my part of the country (maybe not even out of my state) while there's too high a risk of more cities and states implementing bans or quarantines on travelers from other parts of the US.
Presguy likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 1, 2020 at 10:22 am
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
AF: JFK-CDG-LYS
BA: CDG-LHR-JFK

On Acela trains
New York-Washington DC
Washington - New York
New York - Boston
Boston - New York
New York - Washington DC
Washington DC - New York
New York - Boston
Boston - New York
New York - Washington DC
Washington DC - New York

KLM: JFK-AMS-LYS
Audi: LYS-small town in France-Lyon-Small town in France

More to come soon.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I have done about 6 roundtrip flights since mid May. Plan to do many more this fall. I wear a mask, wash hands, socially distance as much as I reasonably can, but otherwise I am getting on with life. :-)
Presguy likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
AF: JFK-CDG-LYS
BA: CDG-LHR-JFK

On Acela trains
New York-Washington DC
Washington - New York
New York - Boston
Boston - New York
New York - Washington DC
Washington DC - New York
New York - Boston
Boston - New York
New York - Washington DC
Washington DC - New York

KLM: JFK-AMS-LYS
Audi: LYS-small town in France-Lyon-Small town in France

More to come soon.
how was the flight into LHR? Was this trip recent, and how were the planes...packed?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Summer Ivey
how was the flight into LHR? Was this trip recent, and how were the planes...packed?
That trip was early, around mid-March. CDG-LHR was maybe 70% full. For the LHR-JFK trip I was upstairs on the 747 for possibly the last time. That cabin was less than half full, but I didn't pay attention to the rest of the plane.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:30 am
Original Poster

I almost clicked from 71 to 73 yesterday, but a last minute change meant a day at home getting caught up. So it looks like my count won't be going up again til the 14th, and after which it'll be at 75.
JNelson113 likes this.

Last edited by Presguy; Aug 2, 2020 at 9:43 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
travel in Canada

I went to Montreal yesterday. First inter-city journey since returning from Vienna in March.
This week I am en route to Edmonton & Vancouver. Can't wait to fly again!
In late August, I am flying into the Atlantic Bubble a k a self quarantine.
Everything int'l has been cancelled - lots of vouchers & nowhere to go safely.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
I went to Phoenix 3 times before things went south there. I've also been to Vegas a few times but further trips are on hold there. I'm hoping to knock off more states in the upcoming months since international is done for quite a while it seems like. Staying home has not been easy for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.