FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many trips have you taken since Corona "took hold"?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:32 am
nomiiiii

A lot of trips domestically. From mid-March to end-July, I've been on 6 roundtrips so 12 individual flight segments, with many more planned over the next few months. Of course nowhere near 71 segments like you which I can only assume is work-related otherwise that's too much moving around for just vacation trips.

Primarily because of super cheap flights with full-cancellation flexibility and blocked middle seat even on basic fares, along with wfh allowing to leave early on Friday for a weekend - I booked almost every summer weekend, or even double-booked, and then would take or cancel the flight based on the mood. This summer has been great for exploring this country for me, from the state parks in Utah, to the waterfalls in Oregon, to the beaches in Florida, to the great lake in Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan, to the mountains in Washington, and now leaving tomorrow to explore the majesty of Alaska, with tons of other stuff planned domestically through Aug/Sept/Oct already.

I really wish that free cancellation becomes the norm, because it means I can book say this weekend and the next weekend both for the same trip to a destination and then based on the weather reports pick the perfect weekend to go without any cancellation costs. And the airlines should be fine also since the funds just become travel vouchers which I'm bound to use later.

Frankly this is a great time for domestic hiking/nature trips if your health risk tolerance is high (i.e. you're young and don't live with someone at-risk, and are regularly getting tested which we are before/after every weekend trip). The only issue has been crowded national parks in Utah/Yellowstone etc which is easily avoided by checking out state parks instead.