Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Thread for people stranded after border closures due to COVID-19 in a foreign country

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Useful Links
  • Flyertalk thread with entry restriction updates: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011652-entry-restrictions-per-country.html
  • IATA Covid-19: https://www.iata.org/en/programs/safety/health/diseases/government-measures-related-to-coronavirus/?search=thailand&ordering=Relevance - this is not up to the minute
Information about repatriation flights.

Print Wikipost

Thread for people stranded after border closures due to COVID-19 in a foreign country

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Thanks. SU isn't an option for onward travel to HKG but MH and NH is (can connect to KA and CX respectively)
If heading to HKG then do note that CX is still flying 3x per week from SGN.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sunshiner25
Hello all,
I am a US citizen, stuck in Mumbai due to the COVID-19 situation. I had a flight booking out on 28th March, which I then moved to 30th March (due to the travel ban till March 29th). Currently United does not show my ticket at all, it has not sent me an email, and when I called them, they had no flights scheduled out of Mumbai till "further notice". Would anybody else have additional information or help guide me in how and when I can leave Mumbai and reach US?
Thanks!
Sunny
India just announced a complete lockdown starting tonight.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by LondonElite
India just announced a complete lockdown starting tonight.
Indeed. I am afraid it looks like the OP is stuck for the time being.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by moonshyne
Got in on Saturday, border closed Sunday night for 7 days.

Island is reporting no cases of covid-19, but who knows. we are still able to move about but not sure how long that lasts.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sooo, I became very good friends with the Governor of the Bay Island Department of Honduras and chartered a Challenger 350. There are still quite a few US Citizens trying to get out. The Governor, Dino Silvestri is one of the most helpful dedicated people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yes, in the same vein not letting any tourists in is to conserve resources.
Singapore will not say I won't treat you if you are seriously ill because you aren't a Singaporean.
It is similar to many places in the US cancelling elective surgeries and the sort. To conserve.
Elective surgeries or even routine dental care and annual checkups are not considered essential i.e. can be postponed. Right now, with Shelter-in-place for a lot of states, only essential tasks and chores are mandated. I mean, you can see your doctor via telemedicine. You can still go to the grocery stores and pharmacy. But all others, work from home, stay at home.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:06 am

Question

Originally Posted by TomMM
What's the penalty in Singapore for overstaying a visa? If this were me I'd sit tight unless there was an immediate threat of being jailed.
I wonder if anyone can answer this question? My girlfriend suggested that I can be jailed and prosecuted for even 1 day overstay, but I have no idea. You would think everyone would be compassionate in a situation like this which is unprecedented since WW2 but I am unsure. I heard that Singapore begins caning people (hitting them extremely hard on their back) 3x after they overstay for 3 months. Do they really put folks in jail for overstaying for 1 day? I also prefer not to be blacklisted and banned from Singapore, since my girlfriend is Singaporean that might make things a bit tricky and complicated to say the least.

I write this as a person who has traveled on and off for almost 20 years (since I was a teenager) and I have NEVER overstayed once in a country. So this whole thing is really new and scary, especially because it's Singapore.. and people keep telling me they are the strictest, or one of the strictest in the world about this. :-(
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by treepuppy
I wonder if anyone can answer this question? My girlfriend suggested that I can be jailed and prosecuted for even 1 day overstay, but I have no idea. You would think everyone would be compassionate in a situation like this which is unprecedented since WW2 but I am unsure. I heard that Singapore begins caning people (hitting them extremely hard on their back) 3x after they overstay for 3 months. Do they really put folks in jail for overstaying for 1 day? I also prefer not to be blacklisted and banned from Singapore, since my girlfriend is Singaporean that might make things a bit tricky and complicated to say the least.

I write this as a person who has traveled on and off for almost 20 years (since I was a teenager) and I have NEVER overstayed once in a country. So this whole thing is really new and scary, especially because it's Singapore.. and people keep telling me they are the strictest, or one of the strictest in the world about this. :-(
Have you considered just extending your visa?
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I know someone that IIRC was able to get the US embassy in Singapore to notarize a common law marriage declaration in the past month. Seems that this has enabled them to apply for LTVP. PM me and I can try to get more details.
I shared a little more info or explained my situation more concisely in this thread: Searching SQ's site for places/dates not officially cancelled, but no tix available?

I'll also PM you!
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I wonder if anyone can answer this question?
The answer was given several times in this thread, post #124 up in the thread has a quote from Singapore penalty code with list of punishments.

So in you situation either get married and your partner needs to apply for LTVP or start packing bags. Sorry if it sounds harsh.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
The answer was given several times in this thread, post #124 up in the thread has a quote from Singapore penalty code with list of punishments.

So in you situation either get married and your partner needs to apply for LTVP or start packing bags. Sorry if it sounds harsh.
I found comment #124 . Thanks for the head's up.

I would not stay illegally. If there is a situation where there are no flights what-so-ever and all borders are still closed then an extension request would need to be filed. If the extension request is denied then would need to appeal. If the appeal is rejected then I am screwed. My girlfriend and I love each other, but marriage is a whole other step. It's something to consider but unsure if that's the right solution for this case. She and I both agree on that. We are considering it, but looking at other options before taking that giant leap.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by bobbytables
Have you considered just extending your visa?
This is what we have been looking at. The immigration officer we spoke with this past weekend said we should not submit the application sooner than 2 weeks before expiry. He came across as very informed so we are planning to follow what he told us.

I'm also searching for flight options in April that gives me enough time to plan and prepare. So I am still searching for any flight options while we wait another week or so for them to have a chance to seriously consider the extension request, if possible. This is really an unprecedented global situation, and caught every single person off guard and has left millions of people scrambling. I am hoping they will have some mercy, but perhaps they will not, which is why I nervously write some of my posts. I have never been in a situation like this before, as well as many others. I'm also worried about my girlfriend here and her mom, as their do not have the best health. It's not easy leaving them behind.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:36 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I found comment #124 . Thanks for the head's up.

I would not stay illegally. If there is a situation where there are no flights what-so-ever and all borders are still closed then an extension request would need to be filed. If the extension request is denied then would need to appeal. If the appeal is rejected then I am screwed. My girlfriend and I love each other, but marriage is a whole other step. It's something to consider but unsure if that's the right solution for this case. She and I both agree on that. We are considering it, but looking at other options before taking that giant leap.
There's a "land" border and ferries to Malaysia and Indonesia. You don't necessarily need a flight to get out.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:31 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
This is what we have been looking at. The immigration officer we spoke with this past weekend said we should not submit the application sooner than 2 weeks before expiry. He came across as very informed so we are planning to follow what he told us.
Glad you managed to get in touch with an ICA officer. Certainly prepare both options.

Originally Posted by helvetic
There's a "land" border and ferries to Malaysia and Indonesia. You don't necessarily need a flight to get out.
He's trying to not get out of Singapore - use the fact he's already there to extend visitor stay (once out, his lack of any residency pass means he can't go back in).
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:55 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
I understand that a large number of embassies in Singapore are currently discussing with the Singapore government the issue of expired visas. Some have already commenced registration of their citizens who are in that situation to get a handle on numbers and prepare for an eventual solution.
GUWonder and FlyingSloth like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
I understand that a large number of embassies in Singapore are currently discussing with the Singapore government the issue of expired visas. Some have already commenced registration of their citizens who are in that situation to get a handle on numbers and prepare for an eventual solution.
I hope so. I guess my situation is a bit unique because I don't have a visa here. Rather I just have the 90 day visa-free pass (visa waiver). I made an appointment with the U.S embassy next week, I don't know what they will say. I made the earliest appointment for next week. I hope there is really some negotiation going on to help stranded people to extend somehow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.