Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Thread for people stranded after border closures due to COVID-19 in a foreign country

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Useful Links
  • Flyertalk thread with entry restriction updates: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011652-entry-restrictions-per-country.html
  • IATA Covid-19: https://www.iata.org/en/programs/safety/health/diseases/government-measures-related-to-coronavirus/?search=thailand&ordering=Relevance - this is not up to the minute
Information about repatriation flights.

Print Wikipost

Thread for people stranded after border closures due to COVID-19 in a foreign country

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:13 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by invisible
OK, in the light of the additional information. As I said, only employer can apply for EP and employer needs to be Singapore registered company. You can't register company and then employ yourself there - this does not work. Instead you need to have EntryPass which is entrepreneur type work visa. However EntryPass comes with much more requirements.

My suggestion - read thoroughly MoM website and it probably worth to pay for 1h consultation to someone who specializes in local labor/employment law.
Yeah I have a couple consultations next week. I know a couple people who have gone through the process. We'll see…
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by huts

It looks like Uzbek Air will run a flight on Saturday to Delhi, where it looks like we can transfer to Singapore Air and get to Brisbane via SIN.
Saturday is March 21. India will apparently stop allowing international aircraft into India on the 22nd. So... just in time? But when is the Singapore flight supposed to arrive?

SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: UA, *Wood Plat, CO, QF
Not sure we'll have time to figure out how to ship stuff home, but it's a thought. We're trying to book a Singapore flight that leaves on the evening of the 21st (so the plane will arrive before the deadline) but haven't been able to make it past the payment screen. A little bit frustrating.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Kyrgystan is not allowing foreigners to enter the country, all of Central Asia is locking down.

It looks like Uzbek Air will run a flight on Saturday to Delhi, where it looks like we can transfer to Singapore Air and get to Brisbane via SIN.

The other possibility is a charter to Tokyo on March 31, April 1 or April 2 which I guess will be Plan B if the Delhi flight doesn't work out, but it will probably be harder to get flights back to Australia by then.

Any thoughts/advice welcome.
Is the US Citizen a close family relative? Otherwise they may not get into Australia after 9pm on 20 March. Hard closure of Australia's border to all non-citizens, residents and close family members.

Edit - this link says immediate family members
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-media/current-alerts/novel-coronavirus
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:22 pm

Yeah, the US Citizen is my wife, so no problem there. I need to print out a copy of our marriage certificate, we don't have the same last name.

I managed to book DEL-SIN-BNE, so hopefully they confirm the TAS-DEL flight and India doesn't have any issue with us transiting.
wrp96, SamirD and Milwaukee like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:24 pm

Appreciate you all bringing these issues up, even if I have them covered. It would be easy for me to miss something in my current mildly stressed state.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Appreciate you all bringing these issues up, even if I have them covered. It would be easy for me to miss something in my current mildly stressed state.
Great, I hope it all goes smoothly.

Don't forget to fill your suitcase with toilet paper.

Safe travels
FF
notquiteaff and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I'm on a poorly-timed vacation.

I was in Martinique earlier this week when things went on lockdown, now in Guadeloupe.

My original plan was to go back to Bulgaria where a lot of my stuff is, but it now looks like a mandatory 2-week quarantine for any foreigners who don't have long-term residency in the country.

Going to try to get to Portugal before they stop the flights from here and wait things out there.

Don't want to get stuck in Paris. (Flying through ORY).
NUNO and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:36 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Yeah, the US Citizen is my wife, so no problem there. I need to print out a copy of our marriage certificate, we don't have the same last name.

I managed to book DEL-SIN-BNE, so hopefully they confirm the TAS-DEL flight and India doesn't have any issue with us transiting.
Years ago I had a flight to DEL and forgot to renew my visa. I was able to get a transit visa at the Indian embassy in BKK on the same day. It was good for 15 days of transit. I guess they figure you might be transiting through the country by autorickshaw.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
To be honest, it feels good to try to do something useful that might help someone stuck in this mess (instead of watching the endless stream of disaster news). Safe travels and let us know when you get to Australia!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

India is shutting down its international airports for probably a week at least.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Years ago I had a flight to DEL and forgot to renew my visa. I was able to get a transit visa at the Indian embassy in BKK on the same day. It was good for 15 days of transit. I guess they figure you might be transiting through the country by autorickshaw.
lol...

I suspect 15 days is allowed to cover misconnects and the like. "My flight went mechanical and I couldn't get a replacement for three days" isn't exactly unheard of, particularly if a less-than-daily flight is involved.

Edit: There was an incident of something like a 3-4 day delay in Athens a year or two ago IIRC.
yosithezet and SamirD like this.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Mar 19, 2020 at 4:41 pm
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer
Great, I hope it all goes smoothly.

Don't forget to fill your suitcase with toilet paper.

Safe travels
FF
Thanks. Seriously, there is plenty of toilet paper available here, I posted some pics on Facebook to the amusement of my friends in Aus/US.
renila and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:46 am

We now have TAS-DEL tickets in hand, but still no clarity on whether we'll be allowed to transit DEL without a transit visa. I managed to get through to the Indian embassy, but was advised to call back after lunch, so we shall see.

There's a flight to Seoul on Sunday, but this doesn't look like a good option (no reasonable connections to Australia), and the embassy has advised that foreign nationals may not be allowed to travel, so that one is out.

The Uzbek government has suspended all international flights, trains and road travel for 40 days, so we may be here a while.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:48 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Sounds like PRC 144hr TWOV - the not tourist tourist visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.