FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Thread for people stranded after border closures due to COVID-19 in a foreign country (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2013144-thread-people-stranded-after-border-closures-due-covid-19-foreign-country.html)

invisible Mar 15, 2020 10:01 pm

Thread for people stranded after border closures due to COVID-19 in a foreign country

I think we should have a separate thread for people who ended up getting stranded in a foreign country after border closures.

If you today woke up and discovered that you can't leave the country you temporarily visiting, could you tell what are you planning to do? it might help people who are in the similar situation in the same or different country.

jorayner Mar 16, 2020 1:40 am

Routes home from Peru

Hi , I am trying to get my son home from Peru to London or any UK .

have got him to Lima and am struggling- looking at via Brasil as one option but flights are disappearing, cannot go via USA as he flew out via Schengen area. British password holder. British nationality.

Any suggestions ? Arrives in Lima 8am today. I know I am off topic but desperate.

Thanks

Mama Mar 16, 2020 3:02 am

I say go to Brazil before this option is out too.
act fast.

bsi Mar 16, 2020 4:36 am

Given that healthcare and other conditions at where I am now (Malaysia) are overall better than in my home European country, I wouldn't mind to be stuck here. Working from "home", like many others now (hopefully!). My concern is what are the consequences of visa overstay caused by potential lockdown.

invisible Mar 16, 2020 4:40 am

Originally Posted by bsi (Post 32192370)
Given that healthcare and other conditions at where I am now (Malaysia) are overall better than in my home European country, I wouldn't mind to be stuck here. Working from "home", like many others now (hopefully!). My concern is what are the consequences of visa overstay caused by potential lockdown.

I might suggest, if your citizenship and financial conditions allow to move and stay next three month in Singapore. Seems that cases in Malaysia are going exponentially and soon it will starting to affecting the healthcare system.

bsi Mar 16, 2020 4:55 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 32192383)
I might suggest, if your citizenship and financial conditions allow to move and stay next three month in Singapore. Seems that cases in Malaysia are going exponentially and soon it will starting to affecting the healthcare system.

I totally agree. Unfortunately, I can't stay in Singapore longer than 96 hours, and even that requires a ticket to 3rd country. I still expect Malaysia to be more resistant to the outbreak than most of Europe, but only time will tell.

TSE Mar 16, 2020 5:12 am

I am also interested in how visa restrictions (on existing visas) might be handled in different countries given the circumstances. In my case, I am currently unable to enter Russia (where my partner and young daughter are) because I risk exceeding the limit of 90 days every 180 days if I am quarantined or can't leave. My second 180 day period begins in a month but by then it might well be impossible to travel.

craigthemif Mar 16, 2020 5:12 am

There are few, if any, countries who are prohibiting their citizens from returning. I'm also not aware of too many countries where the authorities are saying "if you're here now you can't leave".

Yes of course there are going to be flight cancellations and substantial difficulties in getting home. But more often than not it will be a personal choice to stay where you are or move laterally, rather than be "stranded due to border closure".

84fiero Mar 16, 2020 10:42 am

What about routing through Mexico City or Panama City? Toronto? KLM does (or did) have a nonstop to AMS from LIM. (Don't know what travel restrictions might be in place or routes still operating, just thinking of possible routes)

But I'd agree if you're seeing a viable option through Brazil I'd jump on it

notquiteaff Mar 16, 2020 11:55 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 32193572)
What about routing through Mexico City or Panama City? Toronto? KLM does (or did) have a nonstop to AMS from LIM. (Don't know what travel restrictions might be in place or routes still operating, just thinking of possible routes)

But I'd agree if you're seeing a viable option through Brazil I'd jump on it

Toronto seems out as a route. Canada just announced closure of borders to most non-US foreigners.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbs...irus-1.5498866

‘Canada is barring entry to all travellers who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced today.There will be exceptions for air crew, diplomats, immediate family members of citizens and, "at this time," U.S. citizens, Trudeau said.’

Mwenenzi Mar 16, 2020 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by jorayner (Post 32192016)
Hi , I am trying to get my son home from Peru to London or any UK .

Have got him to Lima and am struggling- looking at via Brasil as one option but flights are disappearing, cannot go via USA as he flew out via Schengen area. British password holder. British nationality.

Any suggestions ? Arrives in Lima 8am today. I know I am off topic but desperate.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lata...im-closed.html

Originally Posted by MfromL (Post 32191286)
Starting Monday March 16, LIM is shutdown. No inbound or outbound flights. This is not a restriction of passengers, rather, it is of flights. Anyone inside will stay there for, at least, 15 days (the provisional duration of the norm). (Also, if you are in, you will be inside —no free circulation at all, several liberties, like movement, restricted—, because the emergency edict means also mandatory social isolation for everyone!)

Around the world there are going to be people stuck for days/weeks/months with no practical way to get home. Travel will be more difficult is no non-stop flights between your departure & destination airports

Often1 Mar 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Schedules are changing hourly (mostly for the worse) and limits on who may travel where are changing as well.

I would sit down right now and look at all possible routings LIM - UK. Presuming that you are a UK national and do not fit any of the exemptions for the US and Canada, just skip those connections. As others note, Brazil still appears to be open, but do not plan on that being the case for long. If you find something, do not hesitate, book it and head for the airport.

WorldLux Mar 16, 2020 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32194348)
I would sit down right now and look at all possible routings LIM - UK. Presuming that you are a UK national and do not fit any of the exemptions for the US and Canada, just skip those connections. As others note, Brazil still appears to be open, but do not plan on that being the case for long. If you find something, do not hesitate, book it and head for the airport.

It appears to be too late for that if quote from the LIM thread (cf. Mwenenzi's post above yours) is accurate.

stubbyjo1bob Mar 16, 2020 2:10 pm

My daughter is stuck in CUsco. On a volunteer program for last 2 weeks and found out late yesterday they cancelled the program. No info about closing borders was given. Booked her on a flight out on United for Tuesday.. CUS to DEN. She was on her way to Machu Picchu (which was closed) early this a.m. when flight got cancelled due to Lima airport being closed. I called and rep told me he had no info that Cusco was closed and told me to book for Wens. Obviously everything is closed and she is quarantined for 15 days. But when I check both United and Avianca (connecting flight from CUZ to LIM...it is still active. Does it take a while for the info to reach the customer service folks and web? Shes pretty bummed. I do hope your son can get home. She is with others who are in the same situation. Its a scary time for everyone and I am hoping she can get home on April 1st.

36902BRF Mar 16, 2020 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by stubbyjo1bob (Post 32194424)
Does it take a while for the info to reach the customer service folks and web?

The situation is changing so rapidly the airlines and their systems cannot keep up.