Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Thread for people stranded after border closures due to COVID-19 in a foreign country

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Useful Links
  • Flyertalk thread with entry restriction updates: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011652-entry-restrictions-per-country.html
  • IATA Covid-19: https://www.iata.org/en/programs/safety/health/diseases/government-measures-related-to-coronavirus/?search=thailand&ordering=Relevance - this is not up to the minute
Information about repatriation flights.

Print Wikipost

Thread for people stranded after border closures due to COVID-19 in a foreign country

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:02 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by SamirD
This is good advice. Any rural area will be like normal and as long as you have internet you will be as connected as everyone else.
Hospitals in rural areas are, let's just say, not good.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like Singapore just banned foreigners from entering AND transitting: https://www.todayonline.com/singapor...iting-march-23

Posted by @studioboss on another thread: https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highligh...covid-19-cases

Effective....23 March 2020, 2359
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by helvetic
They aren’t. In normal times, that is a concern. But the big city hospitals may not be of much help either when they are overrun by covid-19 patients. That may not happen in every mid- or large city, of course, but how do you pick?

So the plan is, don't catch it. Which is probably easier in rural areas. I’d still minimize my human contacts after stocking up on groceries etc. A rural environment is less likely to force you to stay inside for prolonged durations.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That is generally the case, but it really varies. There are some great medical facilities in some rather rural parts of the US. (Speaking of the main facilities) Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and Marshfield Clinic in Wisconsin are generally far superior for medical care facilities — especially for high-intervention medical care needs — than what is to be had in Europe when in Stockholm, Zurich or even London. If I were to get hit badly by this coronavirus and had to pick who would provide for my emergency care, you can bet that I would pick Mayo or Marshfield over just about every place in the above-mentioned European cities.

A cheap rental in a rural part of MN or WI that is close enough to Mayo or Marshfield or something like that in the US isn’t a bad idea for those who need a spring getaway to hunker down during this time and don’t have anywhere else to go in the US during this period.
84fiero, wrp96 and SamirD like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 22, 2020 at 3:35 am
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: UA, *Wood Plat, CO, QF
We made it to Brisbane and have started our 14 day isolation. Australian immigration didn’t have any problem allowing my wife to enter on her ETA which runs through August. If we have to stay here past then we may bite the bullet and fork out the exorbitant fee to get her Permanent Residency.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Originally Posted by huts
We made it to Brisbane and have started our 14 day isolation. Australian immigration didn’t have any problem allowing my wife to enter on her ETA which runs through August. If we have to stay here past then we may bite the bullet and fork out the exorbitant fee to get her Permanent Residency.
The government has said they will be lenient on visa extensions due to the travel restrictions. They are waiving the "no further stay" conditions on most visas and allowing some visas to be applied for onshore.
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-...el-coronavirus
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by invisible
PSA to visitors who are currently in Singapore- do not get sick ,you will not get medical help

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/coronavirus-moh-advises-doctors-in-singapore-to-stop-or-defer-accepting-non-resident
Well this is worrisome. Guess I'll just stick to my plan of not getting sick.
I think they meant not to accept appointments for medical tourism. I'm sure Singaporean doctors are still following Hippocrates Oath for visitors falling sick after arrival in Singapore.

Originally Posted by treepuppy
I have no "home" in my home country because I've been overseas for much of the last 20 years. I started a new relationship last year with a Singaporean and now I'm here.
They still let in long-term pass holders tho.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:30 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have started a thread about repatriation flights, which could be founde here:
Repatriation Flights

Last edited by FLYGVA; Mar 22, 2020 at 10:45 am Reason: own thread
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:32 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by treepuppy
Partner is Singaporean but we're unmarried. Immigration said they only recognize marriage and not domestic partnership. One reason I came back to stay with my partner is that I had planned to do a needed surgery for a medical issue. However, with everything happening, I have put that surgery on hold. The situation seems significantly worse in the U.S. I'm afraid I'd actually be a BURDEN in the U.S because I have no housing and no family to stay with when I get back. So finding housing in the middle of a crisis when states and cities are on lockdown really doesn't seem to make much sense. Whereas, in Singapore, I live with my partner.. there is no housing problem.. I am not a burden on Singapore as I have savings and spend a lot when I stay here. The situation here feels so calm and normal here. Whereas when I am forced to return to the U.S it will be like going into a massive hurricane. It's definitely very scary. I've already had multiple flights for April get cancelled. It's so stressful. I didn't plan to type all of this as a reply, but I don't know I feel so alone as everything keeps evolving everyday and it's getting more confusing and stressful.

I just don't know if I'm the only person in this kind of situation or if there are others out there. I have no "home" in my home country because I've been overseas for much of the last 20 years. I started a new relationship last year with a Singaporean and now I'm here. Had no idea the global crisis would hit like this.. I came back to Singapore before the crisis started. Yet I know I have to try to leave before the end of the 90 days even though 95% of flights are cancelled now and neighboring countries have all closed their doors limiting options dramatically. It would make more sense and be safer if I could stay here longer, but at the same time I realize that I need to do all I can to avoid overstaying.
I know someone that IIRC was able to get the US embassy in Singapore to notarize a common law marriage declaration in the past month. Seems that this has enabled them to apply for LTVP. PM me and I can try to get more details.
FlyingSloth and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I know someone that IIRC was able to get the US embassy in Singapore to notarize a common law marriage declaration in the past month. Seems that this has enabled them to apply for LTVP. PM me and I can try to get more details.
treepuppy did not say whether the partnership is same sex or opposite sex. Can same sex couples do this for SIN? They don't recognize same sex marriages.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
And if you've got a 50% chance of needing a hospital if you get sick and you can reduce your chance of exposure by 90%, I think your odds of survival would be better.

A lot of rural hospital have empty beds right now and they have icu units which is what one would need.

Unless one has another medical issue that requires hospital care, I'd get to a rural area and hunker down there in the fresh air.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the other issue is treepuppy might not have health insurance and US health care expenses are higher than most of the world.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by username
Well, the other issue is treepuppy might not have health insurance and US health care expenses are higher than most of the world.
I know and worked with residents of Thailand, Hong Kong and Mainland China who are Citizens of the United States.

If they do have to go back to the US for whatever reason, they can buy travel insurance from the country of their residence and be reimbursed.

However I'm struggling to get my head around treepuppy is a resident of where for this insurance? A Singaporean insurer might be willing to sell travel insurance to a long-term passholder (e.g. www.aig.sg/content/dam/aig/apac/singapore/travel/travel-guard-direct-policy-wording.pdf#page=4), but treepuppy does not qualify.

P.S. the disease-induced xenophobia (+ hostility to repatrials) I’m seeing here and elsewhere is going off the charts. I’m thinking it’s now getting towards making it a fundamental right for stranded travellers to get home, simply to avoid getting lynched abroad, and to have proper quarantine on return.
notquiteaff and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 22, 2020 at 4:40 pm
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
The UAE allows unlimited airside transit, if your friend can get there. From there Etihad is still operating daily to Narita for the following week at least.

What a lifesaver airline Etihad is:
Unfortunately sharply reduced in the next 48 hours:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21917G

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/22/emir...-march-25.html
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:15 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by huts
Super glad to hear it, glad you got home!
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.