Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Searching SQ's site for places/dates not officially cancelled, but no tix available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Searching SQ's site for places/dates not officially cancelled, but no tix available?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Question Searching SQ's site for places/dates not officially cancelled, but no tix available?

American on a 90 day tourist stay in Singapore. I came back in January and have been completely caught off-guard by the unprecedented global crisis. My partner is Singaporean (unmarried), and I've been visiting her for the past year and a half on multiple visits/trips to Singapore. I don't want to travel at all right now considering the dangers and the advise of almost everyone on the planet not to travel at this time, but my 90 day visa-free stay in Singapore expires in mid-April and I'm very worried about it expiring to say the least. I've already tried booking a few flights with SQ through United's MileagePlus. Each flight has been cancelled. Every time I realized a flight I booked got canceled it's felt so dejected, and I didn't even get a notice by e-mail or any other notification. At this point, I'm afraid anything I book that gets cancelled and also the airline won't refund easily. That is what happened the other day with United MileagePlus. So I'm thinking it would be safest to book directly with SQ, the problem is I show zero tickets available on the SQ web site for any dates in April that I try searching.

Personally, I've actually been overseas for much of the last several years. I am only a U.S passport holder, and I am a U.S resident, but I do not have a "home" per say in the U.S to come home to and only one family member who I know (broken childhood). Before the global crisis I was planning to go back to the U.S in March via Japan and start over and find a new home. I wanted to also finish my university degree (though all school is cancelled until at least June?). Given the unprecedented "lockdown" orders in the U.S and the "once-in-a-lifetime" global crisis "not seen since WW2", things changed rapidly so there was almost no time to prepare.. my head is still spinning. Almost every country has closed their borders except Japan. I also had back-up plans and back-up plans for back-up plans, but now all of those back-ups are not even possible because neighboring countries have closed their doors to everyone.

I still have a flight from Japan to the U.S for the end of April (booked months ago) as well as friends in Japan. If I can get to Japan it makes by far the most sense. Having said that, I have been in "fear of flying" therapy / programs for a several years. Through practice I generally feel comfortable (not too many panic attacks) with 6 - 10 hours of flying. I have kept flights to Singapore within the 6 - 10 hour range in recent years by doing Vancouver, Canada -> Tokyo -> Taiwan -> Singapore, etc. I don't know if I'm mentally prepared for a 17 hour flight across the Pacific. I've worked with a therapist, but there isn't really a magical cure for this problem unfortunately. I guess it doesn't matter though because 97% of SQ flights have been cancelled anyways, including most of the long direct ones to the U.S.

I have combed through SQ's flight cancellations lists the past couple days: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=jmjgoyqg

I made my own list from the latest cancellation updates. However, I'm getting really confused. Every time I search on SQ's web site for dates that should be available, and end up finding nothing.. no flights and no tickets. I have tried searching for many dates in April for the SIN - KIX and SIN - NHD routes, and U.S flights too. However, when I search for these routes on any date in April, the SQ web site shows that no flights are available. I don't know why it is that SQ is not showing me anything available? Does it mean the flights are all cancelled or all full?

I have also tried searching the United MileagePlus portal frequently. A week ago, it showed virtually every date available for SIN -> HND, for example, but now when I search now it shows zero dates available for any dates in April. Ideally, I need to fly from SIN -> KIX, though SIN - HND works too. Same situation when I checked SIN - SFO and SIN - LAX. It shows no tickets available.

Last edited by FlyingSloth; Mar 25, 2020 at 3:56 am
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:07 am

Programs: Enrich
how about fly to Bangkok then HND or see if KUL to NRT by ANA still operates? Although I can be sure if the flight will not cancel as everything can change within a day
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:01 am

There are going to be many others in same
situation as you.

Check this site out to see if you are eligible to have your social visa extended without having to leave the country.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/visitor/exten...nofsocialvisit
trooper and FlyingSloth like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: Alaska
Can still book JAL SIN-HND with Alaska miles and can further go to New York.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:56 am

SQ schedule in April
Shanghai
Beijing
Chongqing.
Guangzhou.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:59 am

I don't know when "mid-April" (you should just list the date exactly), but April 7 is the magical day Taiwan allows transit again (well, that is the plan so far). You can go many places through Taiwan. And to the US that seems your only choice (actually transit through China is happening, don't know if you could do that, there is the whole issue of going through immigration and not certain what their TWOV policy is right now).
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
SQ schedule in April
Shanghai
Beijing
Chongqing.
Guangzhou.
They have not cancelled my flight SIN-LAX for april 25 but you can't buy tickets for that date on their web site. Not sure what that means. Is the flight cancelled or not?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
They have not cancelled my flight SIN-LAX for april 25 but you can't buy tickets for that date on their web site. Not sure what that means. Is the flight cancelled or not?
read that the fights scheduleare updated till 11/April as of yesterday. So they are still loading the rest of schedule.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I don't know when "mid-April" (you should just list the date exactly), but April 7 is the magical day Taiwan allows transit again (well, that is the plan so far). You can go many places through Taiwan. And to the US that seems your only choice (actually transit through China is happening, don't know if you could do that, there is the whole issue of going through immigration and not certain what their TWOV policy is right now).
Would you have a link about 07 April allowing transit through Taiwan? My original plan was to fly from Singapore to Japan via Taiwan. If that became an option again, I could try to make it work. I believe that itinerary had a 20 hour layover at TPE, and I was originally planning to stay with friends who live near the airport. But with transit only.. hmm.. are their airport hotels at TPE?

Is China open for transit? That might be something to consider too. I did not know that China's borders are open to foreigners. Is there a web site with updated official information in English for potential foreigners needing to transit there?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
Exactly. This is the root of the confusion. I see dates available but don't find the flights / tickets available for purchase on SQ's web site. I will be checking everyday though and hopefully updates from others in the thread here.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

read that the fights scheduleare updated till 11/April as of yesterday. So they are still loading the rest of schedule.
I hope it does get updated. I checked yesterday and didn't see any flights loaded for April at all.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

I just tried searching on the SQ web site from SIN -> HND and SIN -> KIX for all of April one-way for the first time today. The calendar still shows no flights and no tickets available for purchase. Actually, everything I've searched on the SQ web site still shows nothing.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I don't think they want to deal with new customers in the immediate future given that there are so many changes happening across the globe. They have their hands full dealing with existing customers, with all the uncertainty in travel they'd rather not sell tickets in the coming weeks that they'd have to then process for refunds/changes.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by treepuppy
I just tried searching on the SQ web site from SIN -> HND and SIN -> KIX for all of April one-way for the first time today. The calendar still shows no flights and no tickets available for purchase. Actually, everything I've searched on the SQ web site still shows nothing.
dont think SQ will fly to Tokyo in April. I think you can look for alternative carrier. But if you look now, there is no guarantee that the flight will still operate in April.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: SQ *G, QR OWS
SQ's IT is fairly archaic. A lot of things have to be done manually from the back end. Things take a while to get updated so it is not unusual for your flight to be cancelled as per the pdf file posted on the website but still be displayed as 'confirmed' on the 'manage my booking' page. If you are worried just call them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.