Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Thread for people stranded after border closures due to COVID-19 in a foreign country

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Useful Links
  • Flyertalk thread with entry restriction updates: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011652-entry-restrictions-per-country.html
  • IATA Covid-19: https://www.iata.org/en/programs/safety/health/diseases/government-measures-related-to-coronavirus/?search=thailand&ordering=Relevance - this is not up to the minute
Information about repatriation flights.

Print Wikipost

Thread for people stranded after border closures due to COVID-19 in a foreign country

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by SpinzCity
I'm in Hamburg and called about applying for a residence card. They were loathe to do that, and said that under the current circumstances that might not work at all, but were very ready to issue an extension to the 90-day standard Schengen. They said if air traffic is shut down or I otherwise can't get back to the States, they would readily provide me with an extension. Here is the info direct from Schengen: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...uck-in-the-eu/
Are you in Schengen on a visa or not?

What slightly confused me about the info in the link was this:

If you are from a country that does not require a Schengen visa, the same principle due to force majeure will apply to you too. Generally, you are allowed to stay in a Schengen country without a visa for up to 90 days. If you have already exhausted these days, you can also approach the competent authorities of the Member State where you are located are apply for a long-stay visa to cover your prolonged stay until you are able to depart the Member State and return home.

Looking at the long-term visa options (https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-types/), it seems that it would have to be a Category D single entry visa, as the other options require adherence to the 90/180 rule. It’s not clear from that page whether any longer term visa is possible that does not apply the 90/180 requirement. If the authorities would be more comfortable giving e.g. a 6 month single entry visa that does not require adherence to 90/180, rather than issuing a residence card, that would be fine with us.

It’s also unclear how to apply for a Schengen visa, when already in the Schengen area, if one entered on a visa-free basis. Looked at a number of pages and can’t find an answer to this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:20 pm

Is it possible to change the wiki here so people can figure out how to get from point A to point B? There is a lot of scattered information amongst airline specific threads. But let's say you just need to get out, most people are posting a thread about their particulars. For example, if you are flying from Asia to the US, these are your only options.
But there are a lot of caveats, what citizenship you hold, where you have been. So it is too hard?

Samchui has a list now:
https://samchui.com/2020/03/29/covid-19-comprehensive-list-of-airlines-and-routes-still-operate/

Last edited by s0ssos; Mar 29, 2020 at 2:02 pm
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by go_around
We have one of our number (non-EU passport holder, visa-free visitor) who may have to stay in the Schengen area longer than 90 days. The only way of remaining in Schengen in excess of the 90/180 rule that I can find is to apply to the national authorities for a residence card. As far as I know they cannot deport you during the application or until the appeal has been decided. I wonder:

1. What is the likelihood of a residence card being granted where the person’s main reason for staying longer in Schengen is immigration restrictions and safety issues caused by COVID-19?

2. Assuming it is possible and safe enough to fly, can the applicant move to another Schengen country during the application process, before a decision has been made? This would mean entering another Schengen country when already in excess of the 90/180 day allowance. I can’t find anything on whether this is possible and how it works. The difficulty is that although the Schengen restrictions apply throughout the travel area, residence card applications are dealt with nationally.
Some Schengen countries have allowed anyone legally visiting at the time travel restrictions were introduced to remain on their territory for as long as the measures are in place. Others have extended the allowed duration of stay until e.g. 30 days from the date the restrictions are lifted. But all of this is going to be country-specific so it'd help to know which country the person is in.

Generally, I wouldn't count on being able to obtain a residence permit for this reason. It'd be especially difficult now that non-essential offices can be closed or have reduced service. Some countries have suspended visa or residence permit applications altogether. Again, this is all country-specific but in principle an application can just be rejected outright if it doesn't meet the basic criteria, and appealing a decision does not prevent it from being enforced.

You might be able to get more information from the consulate of the country of the person's nationality in the country they are staying. Or check the country's Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for information for foreign nationals, often there is a number you can call too.

Crossing Schengen borders you run the risk of having your documents checked, especially now. If the person will have already overstayed at that point, that would be problematic.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Is it possible to change the wiki here so people can figure out how to get from point A to point B? There is a lot of scattered information amongst airline specific threads. But let's say you just need to get out, most people are posting a thread about their particulars. For example, if you are flying from Asia to the US, these are your only options.
But there are a lot of caveats, what citizenship you hold, where you have been. So it is too hard?

Samchui has a list now:
https://samchui.com/2020/03/29/covid-19-comprehensive-list-of-airlines-and-routes-still-operate/
As a long term active member, you can change the Wiki yourself. Definitely better to put links of other pages that are being actively updated - otherwise the Wiki will be out of date and useless.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:58 pm

Social distancing is extended in the US for another 30 days, but I have to come back by the end of April. I'm a U.S. citizen and I don't want to overstay here in the Philippines. Am I still allowed to travel back to the US?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by frostydasnowman
Social distancing is extended in the US for another 30 days, but I have to come back by the end of April. I'm a U.S. citizen and I don't want to overstay here in the Philippines. Am I still allowed to travel back to the US?
As a US citizen in good standing, you are allowed entry at any time, subject to health checks and quarantine rules.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by FlitBen
As a US citizen in good standing, you are allowed entry at any time, subject to health checks and quarantine rules.
What if you are a US citizen in bad standing? What does "good standing" mean? You have paid your taxes?
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What if you are a US citizen in bad standing? What does "good standing" mean? You have paid your taxes?
It means basically nothing for this circumstance. As long as the US citizen is a recognized US citizen, the US is required to allow the person entry into the US. It may come with health checks and quarantine or other things, but the US citizen will still be admitted into the US upon arrival to the US. Even if someone has a seriously delinquent US tax debt of $200 million.
ajGoes and frostydasnowman like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:12 am

In practice, you are ok if you're not on some 'no-fly' or other watchlist.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Recognized US citizens are admissible on arrival at US ports of entry, even if on any of the US watchlists. In practice and policy.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by FlitBen
In practice, you are ok if you're not on some 'no-fly' or other watchlist.
Really?
I don't think there is such a term "in good standing". It doesn't mean anything. Simply, if you are a US citizen.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even if someone has a seriously delinquent US tax debt of $200 million.

But why return!!!!
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TomMM
But why return!!!!
Everyone seeking repatriation at this time to the US has their personal reasons for seeking repatriation.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frostydasnowman
Your challenge might be getting to the airport, finding the flights (a lot of places have barred transit passengers, GUM is not a valid entry point, etc.) and the airlines allow you to board (e.g. temperature check).
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
Some Schengen countries have allowed anyone legally visiting at the time travel restrictions were introduced to remain on their territory for as long as the measures are in place. Others have extended the allowed duration of stay until e.g. 30 days from the date the restrictions are lifted. But all of this is going to be country-specific so it'd help to know which country the person is in.
Austria. Haven’t found any info so far. Would be interested in the detail of how the extension is calculated, in relation to which restrictions etc. Will have a further look on Ministry of Foreign Affairs website, haven’t found anything yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.