Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:32 pm
BLV

ahmetdouas

Our executive order says we only have to have face coverings outside if unable to maintain social distancing. In my case it means I never wear one outside.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by knownothing
Why do people want to "get away" with not wearing a mask? Yes of course if the mask affects your asthma - but I know many docs and nurses who have severe asthma and wear a mask all day.
Medical masks are different, and it is a part of their job. What is happening here is being forced to any mask against your will, regardless of how comfortable or not you are with it.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Medical masks are different, and it is a part of their job. What is happening here is being forced to any mask against your will, regardless of how comfortable or not you are with it.
oh no the horror
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:01 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
When they made seat belts mandatory, I didn't like it, for similar libertarian reasons, though I'm not really a libertarian.

Also felt similar about motorcycle helmets..

For masks, I got some surgical masks because you're advised to sneeze or cough into a tissue or your elbow to prevent spreading your droplets.

I figure the masks have similar effect. But we know there are other things which can expel a lot of droplets such as talking, singing.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
I am forced to wear coverings on my bottom half, and given I'm fat because I can't exercise much, causes me extreme discomfort. Can I walk around "pantsless" to relieve my discomfort? If not, why is a mask any different?

A lactating mother really wants to calm her crying child. Can she walk around topless waiting for the baby to cry so she can attach him in public? After all, it's inconvenient for her to have to excuse herself to go somewhere private just to feed her kid. If this is not allowed, why is a mask any different?

My feet get all sweaty and yucky, so I don't want to wear shoes in the store. I don't care what I step in in the store, barefoot is ok. Given I'll step in (and transfer) similar nasty ground stuff, shod or not, why must I wear shoes to shop? And if so, why is a mask any different?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
oh no the horror
Originally Posted by ryman554
I am forced to wear coverings on my bottom half, and given I'm fat because I can't exercise much, causes me extreme discomfort. Can I walk around "pantsless" to relieve my discomfort? If not, why is a mask any different?

A lactating mother really wants to calm her crying child. Can she walk around topless waiting for the baby to cry so she can attach him in public? After all, it's inconvenient for her to have to excuse herself to go somewhere private just to feed her kid. If this is not allowed, why is a mask any different?
Why the huge fuss in making them mandatory? Let people decide whether they want one or not.

If masks were so important, they would be mandatory everywhere in the world every single time someone is outdoors.

Despite the huge lobby, the CDC only recommends them not forces them on anyone. If they don't know what's best, who does?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Why the huge fuss in making them mandatory? Let people decide whether they want one or not.
Multiple people have explained this to you and everyone else multiple times. "Let people decide whether to endanger others or not" is not an attitude most of us, especially scientists, support when it comes to how to deal with a global pandemic. Most of us want to get this over with as painlessly and quickly as possible so we can all go back to normal - and the way to do that is for everyone to wear masks, whether they show symptoms or not, because asymptomatic spread is a real issue and danger and will prolong the pandemic and probably cause the need for a second "lockdown" if not properly addressed.

Everyone wearing masks is literally the lowest effort required and people STILL refuse it. (I'm not referring to outdoors here)

Again: Would you drive drunk if it wasn't illegal? Would you drive 60 in a school zone if it wasn't illegal?
8420PR likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
the one is more important than the many
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Multiple people have explained this to you and everyone else multiple times. "Let people decide whether to endanger others or not" is not an attitude most of us, especially scientists, support when it comes to how to deal with a global pandemic. Most of us want to get this over with as painlessly and quickly as possible so we can all go back to normal - and the way to do that is for everyone to wear masks, whether they show symptoms or not, because asymptomatic spread is a real issue and danger and will prolong the pandemic and probably cause the need for a second "lockdown" if not properly addressed.

Everyone wearing masks is literally the lowest effort required and people STILL refuse it. (I'm not referring to outdoors here)

Again: Would you drive drunk if it wasn't illegal? Would you drive 60 in a school zone if it wasn't illegal?
And again your comparisons with school zones and drunk driving don't apply because they are laws not "recommendations."

I will drive having consumed alcohol and it's entirely legal providing my blood alcohol level is below the limit despite the furious condemnation of the teetotalers and prohibitionists who demand it be zero. I will abide by the 40kph limit in a school but won't drive 20 because some over-anxious traffic engineer or helicopter parent thinks 40 is too fast.

If wearing a mask were that important it would be legislated like drunk driving and school zone speeds. In most jurisdictions including my own it remains a "recommendation" when social distancing is not possible. Your time would be better spent lobbying your elected officials than railing at people who like me are actually following the advice of their local public health officials.
BLV likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by Badenoch
And again your comparisons with school zones and drunk driving don't apply because they are laws not "recommendations."

I will drive having consumed alcohol and it's entirely legal providing my blood alcohol level is below the limit despite the furious condemnation of the teetotalers and prohibitionists who demand it be zero. I will abide by the 40kph limit in a school but won't drive 20 because some over-anxious traffic engineer or helicopter parent thinks 40 is too fast.

If wearing a mask were that important it would be legislated like drunk driving and school zone speeds. In most jurisdictions including my own it remains a "recommendation" when social distancing is not possible. Your time would be better spent lobbying your elected officials than railing at people who like me are actually following the advice of their local public health officials.
so you dont believe in recommendations as you are more important than everybody else Bless your soul
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:52 pm
Suspended

If masks were so important, they would be mandatory everywhere in the world every single time someone is outdoors.

Despite the huge lobby, the CDC only recommends them not forces them on anyone. If they don't know what's best, who does?
The CDC can;t make laws
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:57 pm

The CDC can;t make laws
So why is there no federal law about this then? Are you saying the Supreme Court of the USA, the Congress, the Senate, and the President are all asleep at the wheel?
In the UK, the fine is 100 GBP on the train assuming you are not exempt and if you refuse to comply. It is not even criminalised. Doesn't sound like a serious issue now does it.

The State Governors that signed executive orders for mask wearing despite no federal backing do not have an agenda? The Mayor of London is superior to the Chief Medical Officer of the UK because he is asking everyone to wear masks in stores?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:58 pm

so you dont believe in recommendations as you are more important than everybody else Bless your soul
A recommendation is just that; a recommendation. It means the individual can decide whether to wear one or not, once he/she makes a decision based on his informed opinion. There are plenty of arguments for and against masks and people are free to wear one or not wear one without the fear of being discriminated against.
Badenoch and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Government and laws.
So important when dealing something that nobody alive today has ever experienced, unless you were in the epicenters of SARS or Ebola, maybe.

Just remember, none of them can change the virus, how it transmits and how it infects.

And none of them will care if you get sick, get hospitalized, have a $10,000 deductible bill, have chronic lung function deterioration or die.
Because they know that one person, and one vote doesn't really matter in their own re-election or re-appointment.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Government and laws.
So important when dealing something that nobody alive today has ever experienced, unless you were in the epicenters of SARS or Ebola, maybe.

Just remember, none of them can change the virus, how it transmits and how it infects.

And none of them will care if you get sick, get hospitalized, have a $10,000 deductible bill, have chronic lung function deterioration or die.
Because they know that one person, and one vote doesn't really matter in their own re-election or re-appointment.
That is why the UK govt is telling vulnerable people to shield and self isolate, for their safety. If it is too dangerous to leave the house, it is best to stay home. If I was that worried about it, or if someone is, then people wearing masks won't suddenly change things!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.