Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalks moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members statements. While thats fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Old Jun 24, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
https://www.fixthemask.com/
Turn any mask from one that protects others, to one that protects YOU too.
Very nicely done since FIT matters more than material when you want to protect yourself.
That looks kinda cool, but I wonder if there are different sizes of braces given that heads vary in circumference and width
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by radonc1
That looks kinda cool, but I wonder if there are different sizes of braces given that heads vary in circumference and width
I think the material chosen will determine that.
I ordered some silicone sheets and will tell you how well they work over the weekend.
They link to a site to buy the sheet of rubber but they are back-ordered.
I wear a 7 1/2 hat so if it is too loose on me, then it will be a problem for most.

The rubber band part is good, but I don't like ears as fixation points. I prefer to go around the head, but that is my traditional upbringing from the first time I tied a surgical mask 30 years ago.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:52 pm

https://www.fixthemask.com/
Turn any mask from one that protects others, to one that protects YOU too.
Very nicely done since FIT matters more than material when you want to protect yourself.
Without any rubber bands, you could also do this to your surgical mask to make it seals better:
radonc1, nk15, GMTmin8 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
to protect yourself (and others) get a N95 or one with carbon filter. At tje least get a multi=layered one
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by knownothing
to protect yourself (and others) get a N95 or one with carbon filter. At tje least get a multi=layered one
Care to elaborate?
Send links to some that are in stock for purchase right now and lets see how good they are and how good the fit is.

Lesser material with great fit >> N95 material or (crappy knockoff) with ear-loops and poor fit or ones with exhale valve.

Last edited by FlyBitcoin; Jun 24, 2020 at 6:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
exhale valve has been shown not to affect wearer. amazon has them for sale. Look at Jan 1 Lancet re distance and masks
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by knownothing
exhale valve has been shown not to affect wearer. amazon has them for sale. Look at Jan 1 Lancet re distance and masks
But it does not protect the environment and are not allowed in many private spaces.
Got an example of any without the valves?
Or are the exporters only sending the ones with valves so they get great reviews for "comfort" yet allow the virus to continue to spread.

The Lancet JUNE 1 article does not mention valves.

Again, since no picture was provided, if it has ear loops and the fit stinks (which generally does with ear loops) then it is not an N95 since you breathe around the edges.
Also.... Amazon does not take care that items they sell are genuine. https://www.pcmag.com/news/3m-sues-a...rbitant-prices
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:19 pm

Send links to some that are in stock for purchase right now and lets see how good they are and how good the fit is.
I actually just bought some today from Wyze. I have a Wyze camera and they sent me email from time to time about sales on their masks. It's not N95, but KN95. Not sure how good they are, but they are not too expansive so I am going to give them a try. I have to go back to work in August. Here is a link:

https://wyze.com/face-masks.html
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:26 pm

I would rather have a regular mask or a fabric mask with the added rubber bands or the rubber straps from: https://www.fixthemask.com/

The KN95's are failing in some independent tests and the fit with non-adjustable ear loops is horrible.
A real fitted N95 would be hard to smell some perfume sprayed in the room. Try that with your ear loop KN95.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:31 pm

Get a mask that fits.
Make a mask that fits.

It protects YOU.

Because no matter what your age or "risk factors" are, since you cannot be sure you will not be sleeping in a hospital bed for weeks. Even Type A blood is a 40% increased risk.

And look at which age group is clogging up the most hospital beds in Georgia....
The "invincibles". And if they clog up the beds, then they will lose their favorite bar, their chance to go to the mall, and likely their job, if not their life or a portion of their future lung function.
8420PR likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Anyone see a mask-less person get booted?

I've read a couple of articles (most recently - today: https://www.ajc.com/blog/airport/del...yZKhXRVOw4PvO/), and I haven't been on a plane for 4 months...

... but have any of the folks here seen someone get tossed for refusing to wear a mask?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:08 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Yes I saw one person refused at the plane door unless she was putting a mask on Tuesday, this week.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Need
Without any rubber bands, you could also do this to your surgical mask to make it seals better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juDKqHls5Hw
Just to let everyone know, I pulled out one of my cheapo surgical masks and did what she showed and it worked nicely.

It was also interesting to see that the local Worker's Comp office sent us a bundle of cloth masks so we now can provide one if a patient comes in without or has forgotten theirs at home.
Need and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: LH, DL
No problem going through TSA with face shield

Originally Posted by kklems
Any issues going through tsa checkpoint with googles or faceshields?
TSA had no problem with my face shield at LAX or PIT two weeks ago.

Last edited by GMTmin8; Jun 25, 2020 at 10:15 pm
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:11 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by GMTmin8
TSA no problem with my face shield at LAX or PIT two weeks ago.
You wore it through the scanners?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.