Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:29 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
If we were able to travel overseas, I'd buy some N95 for the long flights, though at $5 or more a piece and they're suppose to be single-use, you may not want to use it daily.
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by exp
If we were able to travel overseas, I'd buy some N95 for the long flights, though at $5 or more a piece and they're suppose to be single-use, you may not want to use it daily.
They are single use for health care workers in high risk environments. Even in that situation, there are now mask sterilizers within hospitals that permit reuse of these masks.

For us ordinary mortals, you can reuse your N95 mask. If you cover your N95 mask with a cloth mask or bandana (which will keep most exogenous virus off your N95 mask),then you should be able to wash the cloth mask and minimize the contamination of the good mask.

If you get 2 N95 masks, then just alternating masks will allow you the opportunity to clean one while using the other.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:06 pm
exp
Suspended

How and what do you clean them with?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by exp
How and what do you clean them with?
70°C for ~30 minutes (preferably whilst suspended)
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:56 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by radonc1
They are single use for health care workers in high risk environments. Even in that situation, there are now mask sterilizers within hospitals that permit reuse of these masks.

For us ordinary mortals, you can reuse your N95 mask. If you cover your N95 mask with a cloth mask or bandana (which will keep most exogenous virus off your N95 mask),then you should be able to wash the cloth mask and minimize the contamination of the good mask.

If you get 2 N95 masks, then just alternating masks will allow you the opportunity to clean one while using the other.
Is cleaning really necessary, a little sun and let it dry out should be good enough, no?

I heard about the containers where they sanitized with what was it peroxide? Now there is concern about the cleaning being a health hazard. Also anything that cleans likely also will start breaking down the mask too, no?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Is cleaning really necessary, a little sun and let it dry out should be good enough, no?

I heard about the containers where they sanitized with what was it peroxide? Now there is concern about the cleaning being a health hazard. Also anything that cleans likely also will start breaking down the mask too, no?
Actually, just time itself should be enough if you had enough time to let them sit (in or out of the sun).

This is how I will travel next week. I will use the N95 mask on the plane (covered with a secondary cloth or surgical mask), and when we get to our destination, I will let the N-95 mask sit in the sun for several days before using it again on the return plane trip. I will use cloth or surgical masks during my stay, allowing my N95 mask to auto-clean

It's not perfect, but then again, I am not going to be staffing an ICU full of Covid positive patients
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
At long last, the governor of Texas has issued a mask order, for most counties throughout the state. More info in the Texas forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32503177-post83.html
radonc1 and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by exp
Never heard of them but Scott Gottlieb said there are Level 3 surgical masks. I searched on Amazon and there are only two listings with level 3.

He said 95-96% for N95 and 67% for surgical masks.

N95 and KN95 available at accused.com, though they're expensive and supplies are still limited in the consumer channel.
Our (medical) supplier offers Level 1/2/3 surgical masks though frankly I don't actually know what the difference is. I just buy whatever is in stock.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I just arrived to Prague. It's only been 45 hours since the mask requirement was dropped and pretty much no one wears them anymore. The only time I saw some people in masks was on a (packed) tram where maybe 5% of pax wore them. Easy come, easy go, I guess. Prague does have a community transmission so let's see what happens in 5-10 days.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 4:50 pm
exp
Suspended

Masking guide, gives some percentages filtered out.

100% cotton generally better than synthetic fibers for cloth masks, polypropylene better than paper for surgical masks.

KN95 is all over the map.

N95 the best.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...s-and-yourself
Kathy_marie likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
Never heard of them but Scott Gottlieb said there are Level 3 surgical masks. I searched on Amazon and there are only two listings with level 3.

He said 95-96% for N95 and 67% for surgical masks.

N95 and KN95 available at accused.com, though they're expensive and supplies are still limited in the consumer channel.
Domain redirects, dead.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
AccuMed.com
They have some good quality masks. Never buy a KN95 with ear loops.

if you are getting really close to people while talking for extended periods of time, you should consider the N95's.
Riding dense public transportation? Probably.

More casual use with more distance and less talking... paper masks are fine if they FIT well and don't leak around the edges, like the fixthemask.com solutions.
I managed to find some apparently decent KN95s with ear loops--yesterday I tried one using one of those plastic straps. To get a decent seal I had to set it far behind what just the ear loops would have done, but as far as I can tell it sealed well when I did that. It felt like when I used to use some stick-on N100s to deal with crabgrass (I'm somewhat allergic, even a short time stirring it up and I'm wiped out for a few hours), nothing like what even a tie-on surgical mask is like.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I bought a couple of washable KN95s, supposedly up to 10 times, but it is too restrictive for me, couldn't handle it. I think a surgical one and a face shield will be all I can handle on a plane, especially long haul, and will be happy if I can...I hope it is enough.

Now I am getting a bit concerned if people in J will be wearing masks overnight in a TATL while sleeping...probably sporadically at best...My biggest anxiety is anyone claiming medical exceptions and/or starting coughing in J with no mask and near me....I hope it doesn't happen because I don't know what I will do....

Should I look for some kind of shower curtain or similar contraption for my seat, lol...

My other anxiety is if DFW and DFW passengers will be safe, after Texas turned into a mess...geez....
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by the810
I just arrived to Prague. It's only been 45 hours since the mask requirement was dropped and pretty much no one wears them anymore. The only time I saw some people in masks was on a (packed) tram where maybe 5% of pax wore them. Easy come, easy go, I guess. Prague does have a community transmission so let's see what happens in 5-10 days.
Just think, all it takes is one asymptomatic super-spreader, such as yourself, perhaps, arriving from outside the country and voila, we have a new hot-spot

The way to keep Prague below an R of 1 is by using social distancing and masks which from your description is not happening.. I guess time will tell
Loren Pechtel and ajGoes like this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Just think, all it takes is one asymptomatic super-spreader, such as yourself, perhaps, arriving from outside the country and voila, we have a new hot-spot
Well, since I arrived from an area with zero cases in recent weeks, I'm highly unlikely to import anything If I get infected, it will happen here.

I guess time will tell
It will. I'm quote curious to see what happens. Czechia was the second place in Europe to adopt masks and is the first to get rid of them. It should provide some interesting data.
The_Bouncer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.