Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
There's a huge difference. Randomly firing a gun into a crowded bar or classroom has a far higher likelihood of hurting or killing someone that being in public without a mask.
What it's like is firing a shotgun into a crowded bar and every person that gets hit with shot themselves gets a shotgun and fires it.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by narvik
I am again using my P100 masks that have a valve; there are just too many others who are either not wearing a mask at all, or having their nose completely exposed from their flimsy, thin bandana.
At this point I prefer to protect myself, and [regrettably, dare I say] care a bit less about protecting others.
In the public orders I've read (my county's and some others), masks with valves are explicitly called out as not qualifying when masks are required, hopefully employees are being trained to reject those where masks are required. Covering the valve with a cloth mask would bring it back into compliance.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Frankly the guilty until proven innocent thing does not work for me. This whole thing has been a bureaucrat's dream. Even if you test negative you are not safe! What if you develop symptoms later? What if you get it tomorrow? How do we know if you are immune? etc. etc.
Why does everyone assume I can't drive competently drunk?! This whole "outlaw driving while drunk" thing has been a bureaucrat's dream.

Why does everyone assume I'll hit people in school-zones driving 60?! This whole "school zone speed limit of 30" thing has been a bureaucrat's dream.

This is how your post sounds like.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Me saving "others lives" depends on if I have the virus and if I transmit it to another person and if the person to whom I transmit it falls ill and if the person who falls ill dies because they are in a high-risk group and didn't maintain social distancing. Where I live the risk of that happening is a fraction of a fraction of a percent. Meanwhile the inconvenience, discomfort and expense of wearing the mask is 100 percent.

The people in charge of public health here can issue a legally-binding order requiring masks be worn in public and none have with one exception. If the people responsible don't think it's important enough to use their full authority I'm not inclined to wear a mask simply because of a few timorous handwringers or those in a high-risk group who won't conduct themselves accordingly.
I agree with you wholeheartedly! I wear a mask (PPE) 80+ hours a week and do so both as required by law and customer requirements and TO PROTECT MYSELF! I do not wear a mask to protect others and honestly don’t care if others don’t protect themselves. Period end of sentence. Please look at the numbers you see that you stand a better chance of being hit by a car walking across the street than catching the ‘virus’ getting sick and dying.
As background I am 60+ With added risk factors. I have also been on the road nonstop this year. TPE, NYC, SFO, LAX, ORD, RDU, RAP, DEN, PHL, and other smaller cities. I have had three nasal swabs (do you have it) all negative and today I took the antibodies (have you had it) test and expect that to be negative as well.
Badenoch likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Adelphos
AMC now requiring masks in all theaters, reversing course after a day
WELL THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING! I will now double my attendance over last year’s attendance ZERO!
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by jmastron
In the public orders I've read (my county's and some others), masks with valves are explicitly called out as not qualifying when masks are required, hopefully employees are being trained to reject those where masks are required. Covering the valve with a cloth mask would bring it back into compliance.
i would abide by the rules concerning masks with valves, but like i said; I see little point in being pedantic about the valves when many (in our area) now don't even bother with masks covering their face.
They might have a 'compliant" mask, yet they chose to wear it around their neck or only their mouth!
There are no employees that I've seen recently (around here) enforcing ANY kind of masks-wearing rules, probably because MANY of the employees also either don't have a mask, or are wearing it around their neck or not covering their nose.

(my location: Northeast Pennsylvania, USA)
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by jmastron
I would love to see the "public orders:" and data. Medial personnel are given them. The valves point downwards - not outwards. If you google, there are several studies that show that they are not only ok, but if you wear glasses are better (most dont lower tham below nose as many with other types do)
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
WELL THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING! I will now double my attendance over last year’s attendance ZERO!
It actually does make a big difference for those who want to go to the movies.

The data is convincing that being indoors or closed environments, in large groups and without protection is the primary source of spread of infection.

Why a movie theater would want to open without requiring masks simply befuddled me. Glad they came to their economic senses.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by radonc1
It actually does make a big difference for those who want to go to the movies.

The data is convincing that being indoors or closed environments, in large groups and without protection is the primary source of spread of infection.

Why a movie theater would want to open without requiring masks simply befuddled me. Glad they came to their economic senses.
Probably because they presume the mask requirement will depress attendance at the theater. While I have no qualms about donning a mask to run errands (groceries, bank, gas station, etc.), I would not pay to sit in a movie theater wearing a mask for 2-3 hours.

On the other hand, this is likely to be ignored and virtually unenforceable once the lights dim and the movie starts. I doubt if high school usher Bobby is going to patrol the theater during the movie, interrupting the show to tell patrons to put their masks back on.
the810 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Because theaters, just like other businesses, like to earn money and that's not possible if you torture your customers for over two hours.
​​
volabam likes this.

Last edited by the810; Jun 19, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Old Jun 19, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by the810
Because theaters, just like other businesses, like to earn money and that's not possible if you torture your customers for over two hours.
​​
They ALREADY torture me with their ridiculous Air Conditioning; I don't go to the cinema without a winter jacket even in Summer.
Asking me to wear a mask is nowhere near as excruciating as their chilly temperatures (IME)!
Old Jun 19, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by the810
​​
Surgeons wear masks for far longer than 2 hours without being tortured and have been for decades. Never heard a peep. That includes a heavy gown and gloves as well as other protective gear. And they usually stand the whole time while working.

My ER docs do a whole shift in masks.....that is 12 hours. They must be Gods to withstand the discomfort

Steel workers and welders wear masks as well and they are far heavier and less comfortable than the masks we ask movie goers to wear to protect others. How in the world do they do it

They all must be better at suffering than anyone else
estnet, Loren Pechtel and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Just got back from a doctor's appointment. Yes at first I found it uncomfortable to breathe through the mask, but by the end of the two hours I had gotten used to it and was no longer noticing it. And I have asthma.
Loren Pechtel, narvik and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by knownothing
I would love to see the "public orders:" and data. Medial personnel are given them. The valves point downwards - not outwards. If you google, there are several studies that show that they are not only ok, but if you wear glasses are better (most dont lower tham below nose as many with other types do)
These county orders through 6/12 had this: "Any mask that incorporates a one-way valve (typically a raised plastic cylinder about the size of a quarter on the front or side of the mask) that is designed to facilitate easy exhaling is not a face covering under this Order and is not to be used to comply with this Order. Valves of that type permit droplet release from the mask, putting others nearby at risk." https://www.saccounty.net/COVID-19/Documents/2020-06-12-HealthOrderStayatHome-SIGNED.pdf. I've seen similar wording in other documents and in an LA Times news article that I can't seem to link.

However, the updated version released today replaces all face covering text with a statement about alinging with the new California state orders requiring face coverings. The state orders don't cover this, but refer to "cloth face coverings" without saying either way whether real non-cloth masks are sufficient or not. It isn't the first time the state documents appear more rushed/incomplete -- the early county stay-at-home orders were a lot clearer about things like exercise being allowed etc, while it took a few updates before the state versions were so clear.

The N95s I have with valves have a flap right on the front that might direct some of the droplets downward, but likely not all. That may be sufficient as long as you're not standing near a much shorter person or someone bending over to pick something up, looking up while you breathe out, walking past seated people at a restaurant, or breathing/coughing/sneezing over things that other people will be touching (groceries on the shelves, the pay screen at the register, etc). In the end, better than nothing and may comply with the letter of the law as written in many places if not the spirit, so I can't really fault people too much.

Most studies for industrial uses of N95 masks are going to be solely concerned about hazards *inbound* to the wearer; there's no intention to block anything outbound in that case so a valve is perfectly fine. I don't believe medical situations typically allow N95s with valves where surgical masks are otherwise required, but I haven't spent much time searching.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:12 pm

Surgeons wear masks for far longer than 2 hours without being tortured and have been for decades. Never heard a peep. That includes a heavy gown and gloves as well as other protective gear. And they usually stand the whole time while working.

My ER docs do a whole shift in masks.....that is 12 hours. They must be Gods to withstand the discomfort

Steel workers and welders wear masks as well and they are far heavier and less comfortable than the masks we ask movie goers to wear to protect others. How in the world do they do it

They all must be better at suffering than anyone else
When the theater pays what surgeons get paid, I'll be happy to go along with that logic.
Diplomatico, the810 and Dublin_rfk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.