Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: LH, DL
Originally Posted by radonc1
Just to let everyone know, I pulled out one of my cheapo surgical masks and did what she showed and it worked
Not only does the mask fit more tightly but folding solves my major irritant, the upper edge of the mask no longer abuts my lower eyelid. Much more comfortable.

Originally Posted by exp
You wore it through the scanners?
Yes, I wore my entirely plastic, very comfortable face shield through the scanners. No problem.

I was also a “randomly” selected Precheck passenger who then had to go through the other scanner as well at LAX.

I only saw one other person at (nearly empty) LAX with face protection. Did not many notice more at (more busy) ATL. I’m surprised at this. The Lancet systematic review found that face shields provided added protection.

I decided to wear a face shield instead of googles because a larger proportion of face is covered and I would be less likely to touch my face while sleeping. Also if I were to decide to carefully cheat and drink on the plane, at least there would be a minimal barrier for droplets.
FlyBitcoin likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 26, 2020 at 4:54 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 26, 2020, 12:17 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by GMTmin8
Yes, I wore my entirely plastic, very comfortable face shield through the scanners. No problem.

I was also a “randomly” selected Precheck passenger who then had to go through the other scanner as well at LAX.

I only saw one other person at (nearly empty) LAX with face protection. Did not many notice more at (more busy) ATL. I’m surprised at this. The Lancet systematic review found that face shields provided added protection.

I decided to wear a face shield instead of googles because a larger proportion of face is covered and I would be less likely to touch my face while sleeping. Also if I were to decide to carefully cheat and drink on the plane, at least there would be a minimal barrier for droplets.
Good to hear.

Where did you get it?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Good to hear.

Where did you get it?
Face shields came from medical supply store - disposible (but I reuse) anti-fog and optically very clear, no distortion.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:19 pm
exp
Suspended

Face shields came from medical supply store - disposible (but I reuse) anti-fog and optically very clear, no distortion.

Something like this?

Amazon Amazon

Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
This face shield was pretty solid and not distorting to look through.
Not heavy duty but does the trick.
Amazon Amazon

I have not worn them on the plane yet. I wear glasses and would rather up my mask game.
I am trained not to touch my face when wearing a mask though.
Getting kicked out of the OR as a student a couple times teaches you quickly.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
TSA had no problem with my face shield at LAX or PIT two weeks ago.
Thanks for the update.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 12:53 am

Are you wearing the face shield AND a mask, or just the face shield? I'm sure both would be better (as multi-layer approach is always better than single point of failure), but is the face shield providing as much benefit (to others) as a cloth mouth and nose covering or a surgical mask?

Is a face shield alone allowed on airlines?
Old Jun 27, 2020, 1:34 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Face shield not allowed on several airlines (All LH group for example). I have seen a fair bit of people in the streets here just wearing the shield mask. It is very popular among shop workers as more comfortable for several hours,
Old Jun 27, 2020, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
This face shield was pretty solid and not distorting to look through.
Not heavy duty but does the trick.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086BQ81VZ

I have not worn them on the plane yet. I wear glasses and would rather up my mask game.
I am trained not to touch my face when wearing a mask though.
Getting kicked out of the OR as a student a couple times teaches you quickly.
slme may disagree, but the kn-95 masks have a downward pointing exit valve and keeps glaases from fogging up
Old Jun 27, 2020, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by knownothing
slme may disagree, but the kn-95 masks have a downward pointing exit valve and keeps glaases from fogging up
Exit valves are not appropriate with this virus.
They are appropriate in situations where the wearer is CERTAIN he/she is not infected, and that might be the next pandemic, but not this one.

If your glasses fog up, get better fit: https://www.fixthemask.com/
Or just use a little tape over the bridge of the nose.
wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 11:56 am
exp
Suspended

Masks don't inhibit her from breathing.

Old Jun 27, 2020, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Exit valves are not appropriate with this virus.
They are appropriate in situations where the wearer is CERTAIN he/she is not infected, and that might be the next pandemic, but not this one.

If your glasses fog up, get better fit: https://www.fixthemask.com/
Or just use a little tape over the bridge of the nose.
Give one piece of data where exit valves are NOT appropriate. And not the opinion of you or your third grade teacher. The droplets spread OUTWARDS. Valves spread down and not out. Any mask without a valve will have air leakage out a side, etc If it goes through the mask then the mask is worthless. So please don't quote "facts" without there being any. The majority of hospitals I have been to in Europe and US use the kn95 mask with filter and they all have a valve. AND if you read the WHO sponsored report Jan Lancet, surgical or cloth masks are worthless
Here is a as site for a N95 (with filther) that most of us in Euopean medical settings are using and colleagues in America are using similar
https://www.kierastore.com/optin1710...1fOZcWWUiDyvk4
LonghornDXB likes this.

Last edited by knownothing; Jun 27, 2020 at 2:16 pm
Old Jun 27, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
At this point, isn’t the primary purpose of mask wearing the prevention of viral spread / droplets from asymptomatic carriers?
Loren Pechtel and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 2:42 pm

Put a loose ear loop mask or fabric covering on over the mask that covers the valve exhaust area.

Viral load goes downward onto your hands, keyboards, countertops to be picked up in greater density by others' hands rubbing eyes.
Viral load aerosols are stirred up by your own movements propelling them forward and upward into the air.

Plenty of N95's without valves. or just cover the valve. Very simple. Cannot let viral load free into environment in any direction.

How about running an exhaust tube from the valve down your back and into your pants? That would work.

Viral load in the environment that originates at all in air is to be avoided in tight public spaces. Period. Valves concentrate viral load and propel into air.

ADDENDUM: The masks with valves being sold to US HCW's are all being covered with a secondary paper mask over the valve as part of the mask prolongation protocol.
GadgetFreak, jmastron and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by FlyBitcoin; Jun 27, 2020 at 4:50 pm Reason: added last line
Old Jun 27, 2020, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Where did you get it?
I used Fischerbrand from a medical supply store, looks similar to this:

Originally Posted by 8420PR
Are you wearing the face shield AND a mask, or just the face shield? I'm sure both would be better
I wore both.
The face shield increases protection. The face shield protects your eyes (glasses are not enough) and for those so inclined, reduces face touching.
A face mask alone is not sufficient.

If wearing both mask & face shield & thinking about taking off the mask, (e.g. to eat or drink on a flight,) please consider how to manage both PPE safely, to not transfer virus to one's hands.

These are just a summary, not all the steps I took.

1) Masks with ear loops are much easier to work with than straps that go around the head.
- Mask straps tangle with face shield straps unless one removes the shield first, which partially defeats the purpose of the shield & increases the number of hand sanitizing steps.
2) Hand sanitize before and after each time any one device is touched.
3) Don't touch the front of the mask or shield. Use the straps.
4) Have a handy container to drop the mask into so not to contaminate other objects. Straps fall outside the container and not into the mask. (DL's square Flight Food box is the perfect size). Or use a fresh mask.
5) For cleaning the face shield after the flight, I could not get the little alcohol wipes an adequate job.
-Next time will likely try my pump santizing spray with paper towels to ensure surfaces wet for 10 seconds
8420PR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.