Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalks moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members statements. While thats fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Old May 23, 2020, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by BLV
Endgame:

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/...d=WO2020060606

you might want to try and read up on sources other than CNN & NYT ;-)
The crazy QAnon conspiracy theories thread is somewhere else.
Old May 23, 2020, 8:19 pm
BLV

Official US patent site, my friend. Not a theory. Just facts
Old May 23, 2020, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BLV
Official US patent site, my “friend”. Not a theory. Just facts
still has nothing to do with the question that was asked in the survey.

There's also a patent for a warp drive and that's just about as relevant.
Old May 23, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BLV
Endgame:

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/...d=WO2020060606

you might want to try and read up on sources other than CNN & NYT ;-)
So you think Bill Gates is perpetuating the coronavirus so that he can inject tracking devices in order to mine Bitcoins?
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 8:56 pm
BLV

I think you should tighten up your mask
Xyzzy and ajGoes like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The tin foil hat should be N100 and properly fitted, because N95 means that at least 5 out of 100 conspiracy theories may slip through and infect the brain...

A regular fabric hat barely filters out 30% of conspiracy theories, but it is better than nothing....
Loren Pechtel, ExpatExp and ajGoes like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
In the age of coronavirus and asymptomatic spread, they DO NOT wear them in patient care without an additional covering on top.

Maybe you can find a video from last year or earlier with a HCW wearing one, but no more. While it is more likely the patient has more viral load than the provider, we can not be certain any HCW is NOT spreading the virus.

Not sure how this matters for "Coronavirus and Travel", the subject of this board, because no HCW on a flight needs the same protection that they need at work, and the cabin is not an ICU.
That is because we can throw the outer mask away and not the inner
Old May 24, 2020, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member

Adjustable Size (Fits For All)

Old May 24, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Not sure of the exact purpose of the previous post showing an exhalation valve on a mask.

Here's a cropped screen-grab from a PDF of 3M's Cool Flow Valve.
It shows its function and purpose.

As there's obviously some of the exhaled air being expelled through the valve without being filtered, and directed downward and to the side,
it would be very interesting to see one of those videos where it shows the path of someone's breath, especially during coughing and especially
comparing this type of mask (with a valve) and say, a thin cloth layer of a bandana.

Old May 24, 2020, 11:39 am

Love it. 50 posts - 100 different opinions.

I think we will all kill each other regarding "wear or not to wear masks" before the coronavirus does. Hey, didn't U2 write a song about that? "with or without masks..."

Ok, well thanks for the entertainment - just popped in on my way to book flights.
PV_Premier likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
Not sure of the exact purpose of the previous post showing an exhalation valve on a mask.

Here's a cropped screen-grab from a PDF of 3M's Cool Flow Valve.
It shows its function and purpose.

As there's obviously some of the exhaled air being expelled through the valve without being filtered, and directed downward and to the side,
it would be very interesting to see one of those videos where it shows the path of someone's breath, especially during coughing and especially
comparing this type of mask (with a valve) and say, a thin cloth layer of a bandana.

Sorry, this mask doesn't cut it.
You want a cooler environment?
Wear a loose fitting paper mask with ear loops. You will feel cooler breathing in unfiltered air around the edges, but your cough will be caught by the mask in front of your face no matter how loose it is, and anything you exhale will be blocked, or deflected, not accelerated through a narrow valve chamber.
The valve ALWAYS sacrifices others for the good of the user.
Loren Pechtel and jmastron like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 12:16 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by radonc1
How well do people put N95 masks on? Apparently, not so well, according to this research report.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...m_medium=email

"The survey was administered to 2499 households. Of these, 268 households were excluded because they did not meet the inclusion criteria. Among the remaining 2231 households, 714 (32.0%) completed the survey, 541 (24.2%) declined to be surveyed, and 976 (43.7%) did not respond. There were slightly more women participants (382 women [53.5%]). Most participants were aged 41 to 65 years (356 participants [49.9%]) and were of Chinese ethnicity (514 participants [72.0%]) (Table 1). Only 90 participants (12.6%; 95% CI, 10.3%-15.3%) passed the VMF test.

"Our study found a low N95 VMF pass rate of 12.6%. The observation that reading pictorial instructions was not associated with increased VMF pass rates may suggest an inherent complexity to N95 mask wearing."
VMF=Visual mask fit

As I have said, wearing masks is not for the user, but for the people surrounding the user. Putting on and taking masks off correctly requires more than visual or minimal instructions. This however should not deter people from using masks. However, wasting money on fancy N95 masks can probably be avoided unless one is in a clinical situation where such PPE is needed.
I think one can find something less than perfect with almost anything, now given a choice would YOU rather be walking and mingling closely with a crowd of people with NO Mask, ones with the cheap surgical and / or cloth ones, or a bunch of similar bunched people with not perfectly fitted N95, do tell which ?

These days N95 are still pricey and likely harder to get, I'm skeptical today that for those that do wear N95 that is measurably going to take away that valuable PPE from the medical community like it did 4-6 weeks ago. Are they still hard to come by but not like before, so the argument against N95 is really very academic, I'd opt for the best for myself and protection of others!

I had to do a honey to do run to Home Depot yesterday, I'd say 3/4ths were the surgical/cloth etc. and surprisingly 1/4 was N95 most with valve. I am wearing a N95 no valve more because I secured 16 1st week of January. I've used/built a homemade out of scarves and my son's custom with built in but replaceable filter ( with valve ) and extensively used the N95 with valve in China for years. If I was to judge based on airflow resistance both in and out the N95 even when I fit it poorly for protecting me is best, sure for outflow filter the one with valve is less in trapping droplets but still redirects the flow, all it takes is for you to feel it to understand it is far better, safer and caring to your fellow human than the no mask right wing freedom lovers;-)

Any mask is better than no mask, and tight fitting N95 no valve is best, LOL

Last edited by chipmaster; May 24, 2020 at 12:27 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
32% of study participants completed the survey. Well that is encouraging.

100% of medical students use a mask incorrectly on their first day of surgery rotation.
By Wednesday, half of them have it right.
By Friday, they all have it down.

I think a lot of people had a pretty bad experience the first time they tried to do anything.
Practice makes perfect.
Old May 24, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

masks with exhalation valves are NOT the kind of masks you need to wear - these are masks that will only protect the wearer, not other people - and mask-wearing is to prevent you as an asymptomatic spreader from infecting others. It's the ultimate "selfish" mask.

Which, given that the previous poster has said he only cares about himself and not others, was probably their point.
Old May 24, 2020, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Sorry, this mask doesn't cut it.
You want a cooler environment?
Wear a loose fitting paper mask with ear loops. You will feel cooler breathing in unfiltered air around the edges, but your cough will be caught by the mask in front of your face no matter how loose it is, and anything you exhale will be blocked, or deflected, not accelerated through a narrow valve chamber.
The valve ALWAYS sacrifices others for the good of the user.
This mask filters out smaller particles which a paper mask does not and if you have it loose fitting it is worthless

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.