Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO 757 Landed on EWR taxiway 28-Oct-2006

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Bethune described a siuation similar to this in his Worst to First book. Two flights landed incorrectly, one ignored their landing configuration warning and ended up putting the plane down on its belly. The other was flown to the wrong airport which was close to the intended airport and had very similar runway layouts. Only the pilots in the former scenario were punished since the second was an 'honset mistake' using all available information.

I can tell you from a pilots perspective that in congested areas like Newark it's not always easy to pick out the runway. As mentioned earlier, runway 29 does not have an ILS system, so at night the pilots must rely exclusivley on their vision to line the plane with the runway. Having said that, there is no excuse for the pilot(s) to skip out on notification.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by CO_Bulkhead
I am just really surprised that no other planes were on the taxiway.

Newark almost never uses runway 29, especially for the 757. I would like to see them use this runway exclusively for the ERJ's and thus free up runway 4/22 for the bigger planes.
I didn't even know the 737 and 757 could use that runway. I thought it was too short. I've had some hot landings on it with ERJ's resulting in full reverse thrusters and full brakes (nice smell, not) so I'd suspect something is unusual about the approach.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I've landed on 29 in 757s before, but only on very windy days (as Saturday was). It is rare, but they do use that runway for reasonably-sized planes on days with severe winds.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Shocking! Terrible!

Taxiways at EWR are notoriously jammed. CO, the people on the flight, as well as folks on the ground should thank their respective deities that this taxiway just happened to be empty with the pilots made this error.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:38 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
The Star Ledger weighs in.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:38 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
Shocking! Terrible!

Taxiways at EWR are notoriously jammed. CO, the people on the flight, as well as folks on the ground should thank their respective deities that this taxiway just happened to be empty with the pilots made this error.

But I think if there was anything on the taxiway, the pilots should have
noticed the error before the touch down.. and should have been able to abort.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:40 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by cpx
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
Shocking! Terrible!

Futhermore, the fact the pilot could land the 757 on a taxi way about 1/2 the width of a runway is impressive.

...in a sense

Last edited by J.Edward; Oct 31, 2006 at 9:07 am
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:42 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
I didn't even know the 737 and 757 could use that runway. I thought it was too short. I've had some hot landings on it with ERJ's resulting in full reverse thrusters and full brakes (nice smell, not) so I'd suspect something is unusual about the approach.
73's and 75's land at SNA and DCA all the time (SNA's runway is shorter than 29, and DCA's runway is almost the exact same length as 29 in EWR)
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
At dusk, or very close to sunset the visibility of the ground becomes very difficult. plus or minus 30 min from sunset the sky is still very bright, but the ground becomes very dark and the lights are very difficult to see. It's not an excuse, but I've gotten turned around at that time of night flight light aircraft. It's just very easy to do.

Scott
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by cpx
Without ILS, with the incredible winds that day (gusting to over 50 mph), with the sun glare at dusk, I think we have some pretty likely reasons for this mistake.

Also, Taxiway Z is thankfully not nearly as busy as taxiway W which is directly north of Terminal C.

Thankfully, there were no injuries.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I saw an AA 767-300 takeoff from 29 on Sunday, 10/29. Also saw several CO 762s landing on it as well as the Privatair A319.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:02 am

777 landed on 29 Sunday a.m. No big deal. I'd rather land on a short runway with a 30 knot headwind, than a real long runway with a 30 knot crosswind. It's all about relative groundspeed.....

The taxiway in question is on the north side of the runway and used primarily by cargo and G/A aircraft. Departure and arrival aircraft would be on the south side of this area, departing on either 29 or 22R.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:36 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by TVCMH
Bethune described a siuation similar to this in his Worst to First book. Two flights landed incorrectly, one ignored their landing configuration warning and ended up putting the plane down on its belly. The other was flown to the wrong airport which was close to the intended airport and had very similar runway layouts. Only the pilots in the former scenario were punished since the second was an 'honset mistake' using all available information.
Going on memory, the former incident was a DC-9 in Feb or March 1996 at IAH, the latter an Express ATR in the late 90s landing at a Military installiation instead of CRP.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by J.Edward
What a great first paragraph:
Federal aviation officials are investigating whether the pilot of a Continental Airlines flight erred by landing on a taxiway instead of a runway at Newark Liberty International Airport.
How is landing on the taxiway not an error?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
What a great first paragraph:How is landing on the taxiway not an error?
My read of the sentence is that it presumes that whether the CO aircraft landed on the taxiway or not has not yet been established.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.