Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO 757 Landed on EWR taxiway 28-Oct-2006

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:31 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
First, the NTSB is involved because of the incident itself, irrespective of the CVR issue.

Second, that's very interesting information about the CVR being intentionally erased. I'm wondering where that information came from.
It goes along the line of Continental trying to cover-up, because the aircraft was sent on another flight after the mishap..
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ewrfox
because the Cockpit voice recorder was intentionally erased

Can that even be done? I was always under the impression that those things were set to record when the flight was operating and otherwise there was nothing that could be done to "mess" with them; that's sortof thepoint of having them on the planes, right
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:46 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
I think the voice recorder operates on a half hour loop, and if the reports are right about the aircraft being sent on another flight, then the data would indeed be written over..
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:01 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Lightbulb Watch 1883 Land

Per a.net, here's a neat link showing the approach and landing of 1883:

http://www4.passur.com/ewr.html

Input the date as Oct. 28 2006 and set the time to 18:30 and click replay. When the computer loads up the data, you'll see 1883 over the water making it's last turn onto final.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Per a.net, here's a neat link showing the approach and landing of 1883:

http://www4.passur.com/ewr.html

Input the date as Oct. 28 2006 and set the time to 18:30 and click replay. When the computer loads up the data, you'll see 1883 over the water making it's last turn onto final.
That's WAY cool! There's a last-second jog to the right as he crosses the NJ Turnpike -- Too bad you can't zoom in more

Last edited by Xyzzy; Nov 2, 2006 at 2:39 am
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
It's interesting to note that the very next landing appears to be on Runway 22L.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Aaagh! I can't see it. All the buttons above the "screen" don't work, so I can neither pause the current display nor start a replay. Anyone know what else I need to do? (Running IE6 SP2 on Win XP Pro SP2 - I know the first bit of advice I'm going to get given!)
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
It's interesting to note that the very next landing appears to be on Runway 22L.
That was a FedEx DC10. Perhaps it needed the length of 22L? The next bunch after that all arrived on 29. In fact, from 18:30 to 19:10 or so only two other aircraft landed on 22L, one CO aircraft and an AZ 772.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:23 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Aaagh! I can't see it. All the buttons above the "screen" don't work, so I can neither pause the current display nor start a replay. Anyone know what else I need to do? (Running IE6 SP2 on Win XP Pro SP2 - I know the first bit of advice I'm going to get given!)
I can use the buttons, but it always stays on "current." I use a Mac on OS X.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 8:03 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by DrBeeper
I can use the buttons, but it always stays on "current." I use a Mac on OS X.
Had the same issue on my mac (10.4). You may want to try it in FireFox for Mac or on a PC.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 8:22 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Had the same issue on my mac (10.4). You may want to try it in FireFox for Mac or on a PC.
What have we here....problems with the holy Macintosh??
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:02 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Doesn't work for me either - seems like the Java applet is having firewall issues. Probably trying to open a direct socket connection - which is blocked.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by cruisr
Why not use the car/truck lanes of the NJTurnpike....or Rte 1/9
You know one of the justifications of the Interstate Highway System that Eisenhower introduced in the 50s was that the Interstate System would double as landing fields for planes if the Russians even bombed our air bases and airports.

It was written into the Interstate Highway Bill that when geographically possible, straightaways with no overpasses and power lines would obstruct the Interstate highway, so they could act as impromtu landing fields for military aircraft.

So, it is not as far fetched as you think that they could land a plane on the Turnpike next to EWR.

- HF
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
You know one of the justifications of the Interstate Highway System that Eisenhower introduced in the 50s was that the Interstate System would double as landing fields for planes if the Russians even bombed our air bases and airports.

It was written into the Interstate Highway Bill that when geographically possible, straightaways with no overpasses and power lines would obstruct the Interstate highway, so they could act as impromtu landing fields for military aircraft.

So, it is not as far fetched as you think that they could land a plane on the Turnpike next to EWR.

- HF
Would CO have to affix an EZPass on the windshield of each plane to pay the tolls?
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Originally Posted by Globaliser
There's a good chance you need a java or .net update. Just a guess.

Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.