Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO 757 Landed on EWR taxiway 28-Oct-2006

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by VideoPaul
I was landing at Madison, WI once almost directly into the sun. It would have been WAY easy to land on a taxiway. I was riding the ILS down even though I was on a visual approach and I was using that to make sure I was where I was supposed to be. It apears that RWY29 at EWR doesn't have ANY precision approaches. RWY 11 (29's reciprocal) does.

Also, the PAPI on RWY 29 is on the right side of the runway. I can't tell form the airport diagram if it's between RWY 29 and TWY Z or to the right of TWY Z. If it's o nthe other side of TWY Z, it would further lead one off to the right.

Why they don't have at least one precision approach to RWY 29 is a good question to ask.

--PP

English please! I read a.net as much as anyone but you lost me
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
English please! I read a.net as much as anyone but you lost me
ILS: Instrument Landing System. Provides for a precision approach under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) ILS helps the pilot maintain a precision vertical and horizontal path.

PAPI: Precision Approach Path Indicator. A display of four red lights that indiate whether the approach is too high (1 light or no lights), just right (2 lights) or too low (3 or 4 lights). Useful in both IFR and VFR but critical in VFR.

Reciprocal Runway: The same runway from the other side. Runways are designated in degrees with the last digit omitted. So Runway 29 is at 290 degrees. Its reciprocal is 290-180 degrees = 110 degrees (or RWY 11)
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:26 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
"I read a.net as much as anyone but you lost me"

I suggest stopping by pprune.org once or twice a day. I learn a lot from the pilots and probably know just enough to be dangerous
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VideoPaul
It apears that RWY29 at EWR doesn't have ANY precision approaches. RWY 11 (29's reciprocal) does.
--PP
The RWY 11 precision is a LOC/GS while RWYS 4L/22R & 4R/22L have full-on ILS/DME's.

I suppose the P.A. doesn't feel it's worth the investment for a runway that gets very little use. I do remember occasionally landing on RWY 11 but never on RWY 29.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
An airport diagram can be found here. I think there just isn't room for the instrumented approach to 29. It seems that the other end has this, as 11 is so equipped. details here.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:05 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
In all my trips into EWR, when I had to land on 11/29, it has been, every time, 29. I don't ever even remember seen landings on 11. Planes doing thismust be going over the hotels on Route 1/9 very low.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vulcan
In all my trips into EWR, when I had to land on 11/29, it has been, every time, 29. I don't ever even remember seen landings on 11. Planes doing thismust be going over the hotels on Route 1/9 very low.
Absolutely. I have landed at Runway 11 probably half a dozen times.

It reminds me a little of the RWY 31 approach at LGA in that the initial is along the standard RWY 4 approach. At LGA there is a sharp turn to the right and then a very tight maneuver to the left to line up with the runway before landing.

At EWR, I've always done this coming from the north, so the initial is along the standard RWY 22 approach and then a sharp turn to the right and the final is over the airport hotels and Rte 1/9. It's not quite as tight as LGA because there isn't the issue of overlapping with the JFK airspace.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Plat/LT Gold, MR Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1

Reciprocal Runway: The same runway from the other side. Runways are designated in degrees with the last digit omitted. So Runway 29 is at 290 degrees. Its reciprocal is 290-180 degrees = 110 degrees (or RWY 11)
Hmm...so how would a runway a 5 degrees be designated?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by skibum_nj
Good question If I remember correctly, anything less than 5 is rounded down to become 36/18 and anything more than 5 is rounded up to be 10/19. It's been awhile, so I could be wrong or it might have changed.

What do they do with 5? Since there is always some magnetic drift which requires correction between true and magnetic north, perhaps the amount and direction of correction would round the runway to either 36/18 or 10/19
Old Nov 1, 2006, 12:15 am

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
...The airframe is bigger so there is more structural inertia...
Yup, but has zero bearing on turn radius, only speed and bank angle matter.

..but the main thing is that the 747 lands a little faster than smaller planes so any turns will be somewhat longer since approach speeds are also a little higher.
Giving a generous 40 kts increase is roughly 2000 foot radius increase at 20 degrees. Not that much of a difference.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If I remember correctly, anything less than 5 is rounded down to become 36/18 and anything more than 5 is rounded up to be 10/19.
< pedant alert! > I think you mean 01/19? < / pedant alert! >
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skibum_nj
Good question! A runway at 4.9 degrees is desginated as RWY 0 and a runway at 5.1 degress is designated as RWY 1.

Most runways tend to be designed at "even" degrees (0.0 degrees, 10 degrees, 20 degrees, etc.)
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carpboy
Yup, but has zero bearing on turn radius, only speed and bank angle matter.
Sure, but it does mean that, like a big cruise ship, that the heavies will take quite a bit longer to bank into and out of a turn thus effectively making the turn radius a little larger.

Think of it this way. For a Cessna 170 to achieve a 20-degree bank, the wing dips about 5 ft. For the same 20-degrees on a 747, the wing dips about 20 ft, so at the same rate of bank, it takes about 4 times as long to reach 20 degrees.

Giving a generous 40 kts increase is roughly 2000 foot radius increase at 20 degrees. Not that much of a difference.
2,000 ft is still about a third of a mile.

The fact is that on approach, a 747 probably will fly about 30-60 kts faster than an E-145, depending on payload.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Nov 1, 2006 at 5:19 am
Old Nov 1, 2006, 5:30 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Good question! A runway at 4.9 degrees is desginated as RWY 0 and a runway at 5.1 degress is designated as RWY 1.

Most runways tend to be designed at "even" degrees (0.0 degrees, 10 degrees, 20 degrees, etc.)
A runway at 4.9 degrees would be designated 36, not 0. We don't have a 0 degree heading, its 360 heading
Old Nov 1, 2006, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AEpilot76
A runway at 4.9 degrees would be designated 36, not 0. We don't have a 0 degree heading, its 360 heading
My mistake, sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.