Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO 757 Landed on EWR taxiway 28-Oct-2006

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Troubling

It is extremely troubling that an experienced 757 pilot brought a CO aircraft down on anything but the runway it was supposed to land on. If the winds/sun glare/etc. were so bad that it would lead to anything other than a safe landing on the prescribed runway, the experienced pilot should not have attempted the landing.

It's one thing if this was an cessna pilot landing at a flight school incorrectly. But this is a 757/767 pilot bringing in a big plane into CO's hub --there is zero room for error with that type of situation.

And CO is very fortunate that this incident went injury-free.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
OK, maybe we should move this discussion to the coupon connection, but how much do you want for your house? Does anyone have a house with a better view of planes approaching? That would be my ideal place to live <sigh>.
Coupon connection? What does that mean?

I think lots of nice people in Jersey City share the same view - so you should have no trouble buying - but you better hurry, JC has become a very popular, expensive place. My place isn't for sale
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by xyzzy
The crosswind was relative to rwy 4/22. That's why they were landing on 11/29, as 29 was pretty much straight into the wind.
Of course, head wind on landing is a good thing...
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I would be curious to see what the reaction would be in here if it was a DL plane instead of CO

Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I thought it was bad, but not terrible, until I read the statement above. If it's true--the statement accurately captures the response of the pilot to the error--he or she shouldn't fly for Continental again.
I don't think we can expect the Capt. to come on the PA and say "oops, sorry for the hard landing there folks, I accidently landed on the taxiway instead of the runway. Now everyone run out and buy those lotto tickets, because it's a good thing no one decided to turn onto the taxiway as our aircraft was hurtling along at 100mph. Wecome to Newark, and we appreciate your business."

In the event of such a serious error (if this is all actually true), I am sure that he was first off to file a NASA report to preserve his ticket as others speculated here, followed by a meeting with his FO to discuss what happened and figure out how it will be explained to the CO Chief Pilot and his panel.

Not to mention how he must have felt - and who needs to be sitting there while your passengers file off the aircraft looking at you like you're crazy and almost killed them (assuming some of the pax figured out where they touched down).
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't think we can expect the Capt. to come on the PA and say "oops, sorry for the hard landing there folks, I accidently landed on the taxiway instead of the runway. Now everyone run out and buy those lotto tickets, because it's a good thing no one decided to turn onto the taxiway as our aircraft was hurtling along at 100mph. Wecome to Newark, and we appreciate your business."

In the event of such a serious error (if this is all actually true), I am sure that he was first off to file a NASA report to preserve his ticket as others speculated here, followed by a meeting with his FO to discuss what happened and figure out how it will be explained to the CO Chief Pilot and his panel.

Not to mention how he must have felt - and who needs to be sitting there while your passengers file off the aircraft looking at you like you're crazy and almost killed them (assuming some of the pax figured out where they touched down).
His first step was probably to keep the cockpit door closed during deplaning

Second, he quickly got a hold of ALPA and his union rep

Third, the capt files an ASAP (which will then automatically file a NASA form)..most airlines using the ASAP program (Aviation Safety Awareness Program)

Fourth, he probably had a chat with the tower
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AEpilot76
His first step was probably to keep the cockpit door closed during deplaning

Second, he quickly got a hold of ALPA and his union rep

Third, the capt files an ASAP (which will then automatically file a NASA form)..most airlines using the ASAP program (Aviation Safety Awareness Program)

Fourth, he probably had a chat with the tower
I am sure common sense and Union guidelines strongly suggest that a flight officer refrain from admitting or discussing any incident - pilot error or not - with the passengers, public or media. So we can't blame him for remaining silent after the flight.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA plat CO gold
But is it much better than MCO roll coaster

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10312006...emy_olshan.htm

Was after dark, a 757-200 from MCO landed on the parallel taxiway next to the terminal instead of the runway. Some pretty hefty skid marks left on the taxiway as the crew tried to stop in time.

Not up there with the America West pilots at the airport bar, or the NW guys landing at military bases in North Dakota, but damn if you're going to pull this stunt do it with a 735 or RJ. Seriously though, really too close for comfort, I doubt they'll be flying for a while.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:23 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
From a PPRUNE post.

__________________________________________________ ____________

tom775257
Over 250 posts so far. Perhaps I should click here and order a Personal Title

I have been in a situation landing runway 22 into the sun at sunset - visual approach. A CB had just been through but had cleared off and the tarmac was like a mirror, I honestly couldn't see to fly the final part of the approach / land shades or not. Just blazing sunlight directly into my eyes. I did a go around and found during the GA that I had lined up on the taxi way. Scary, but it shows the dangers of landing into sun at sunset... (nb this was a non-ILS runway so no help there, and the NDB QDM was as bang on as you could hope for)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently not the first time, and probably not the last. I guess there are two choices:
Move the runway
or
Move the sun
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CO FF
Are you sure about the 763? AA doesn't schedule 763s to EWR.
Never been more sure of anything in my life.

It caught my attention precisely because AA does not normally operate the type into EWR. I actually thought it was a 777 at first, but then got a closer look at the tail cone.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:28 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
...747s require a much larger turn...
Not really. Turning radius is dependent on airspeed only and at 20 degree bank is roughly an extra 1000 feet in radius for every 20 kts true airspeed, in the 140-200 speed range.

I've landed on that runway many many times and always dreaded it, nothing to do with the runway but by the fact that when it is in use that means there are capacity limitations and generally long delays.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
It's one thing if this was an cessna pilot landing at a flight school incorrectly. But this is a 757/767 pilot bringing in a big plane into CO's hub --there is zero room for error with that type of situation.
But the same goes for every other big jet airline pilot who's landed on a taxiway. It's happened before; it'll happen again.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carpboy
Not really. Turning radius is dependent on airspeed only and at 20 degree bank is roughly an extra 1000 feet in radius for every 20 kts true airspeed, in the 140-200 speed range.

I've landed on that runway many many times and always dreaded it, nothing to do with the runway but by the fact that when it is in use that means there are capacity limitations and generally long delays.
The airframe is bigger so there is more structural inertia, but the main thing is that the 747 lands a little faster than smaller planes so any turns will be somewhat longer since approach speeds are also a little higher.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:42 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Vulcan
I have been in a situation landing runway 22 into the sun at sunset - visual approach. A CB had just been through but had cleared off and the tarmac was like a mirror, I honestly couldn't see to fly the final part of the approach / land shades or not. Just blazing sunlight directly into my eyes. I did a go around and found during the GA that I had lined up on the taxi way. Scary, but it shows the dangers of landing into sun at sunset... (nb this was a non-ILS runway so no help there, and the NDB QDM was as bang on as you could hope for)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently not the first time, and probably not the last. I guess there are two choices:
Move the runway
or
Move the sun
I was landing at Madison, WI once almost directly into the sun. It would have been WAY easy to land on a taxiway. I was riding the ILS down even though I was on a visual approach and I was using that to make sure I was where I was supposed to be. It apears that RWY29 at EWR doesn't have ANY precision approaches. RWY 11 (29's reciprocal) does.

Also, the PAPI on RWY 29 is on the right side of the runway. I can't tell form the airport diagram if it's between RWY 29 and TWY Z or to the right of TWY Z. If it's o nthe other side of TWY Z, it would further lead one off to the right.

Why they don't have at least one precision approach to RWY 29 is a good question to ask.

--PP
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VideoPaul
I was landing at Madison, WI once almost directly into the sun. It would have been WAY easy to land on a taxiway. I was riding the ILS down even though I was on a visual approach and I was using that to make sure I was where I was supposed to be. It apears that RWY29 at EWR doesn't have ANY precision approaches. RWY 11 (29's reciprocal) does.

Also, the PAPI on RWY 29 is on the right side of the runway. I can't tell form the airport diagram if it's between RWY 29 and TWY Z or to the right of TWY Z. If it's o nthe other side of TWY Z, it would further lead one off to the right.

Why they don't have at least one precision approach to RWY 29 is a good question to ask.

--PP
IIRC, the PAPI are north of RWY 29, which confirms your theory.

There is no precision approach because there is no space for it, given the NJ Turnpike, the railroad and the dock facility behind all that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.