Wiki Posts
Search

CO 757 Landed on EWR taxiway 28-Oct-2006

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by J.Edward
... as well as why the pilots did not radio the tower upon realizing their error.
Indeed, we should wait to find out whether this allegation is even true. In another PPlace, it's been unequivocally said that the tech crew did report this to ATC.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Indeed, we should wait to find out whether this allegation is even true. In another PPlace, it's been unequivocally said that the tech crew did report this to ATC.
Just look at the quality of the inofrmation that was made available in the first minutes after this incident occured. One story referred to the "LH 767" and then later in the story the same a/c was referred to as the "LH 747"

I would be floored if the flight deck crew didn't report the incident. That would be unheard of unless they were planning to never work as pilots again.

It may turn out, instead, that a wind incident forced them off course at the last moment and that the fact that they landed on the taxiway without incident (which requires great skill) averted a horrific tragedy.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
I am scheduled on CO 1883 from MCO-EWR next Monday (11/6) AAAAIIIGGGHHHH!!!!!! (just kidding)

- HF
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
It may turn out, instead, that a wind incident forced them off course at the last moment and that the fact that they landed on the taxiway without incident (which requires great skill) averted a horrific tragedy.
I hate getting these things wrong (it has been known ) but I think this unlikely. In the event of a crosswind that managed to blow a 757 off course a go-around would have been the expected proccedure. Also, if there were heavy crosswinds, why weren't they using the main parallels?

I can't wait to see how the number the ORD runways once they're all parallel.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I hate getting these things wrong (it has been known ) but I think this unlikely. In the event of a crosswind that managed to blow a 757 off course a go-around would have been the expected proccedure. Also, if there were heavy crosswinds, why weren't they using the main parallels?

I can't wait to see how the number the ORD runways once they're all parallel.
My understanding is that the cross winds were primarily affecting the main parallels (I could be wrong). But, as you know, wind can shift. So it's not inconcievable that there was a last-second "wind shear" type incident that forced the plane off course. I agree that a go around would seem to be logical, but we, of course, don't have all the facts.

What is clear, is that it was very, very windy, with gusts well over 50 mph, making a pure visual landing pretty challenging at dusk.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
My understanding is that the cross winds were primarily affecting the main parallels (I could be wrong).
You are correct. If they were not, 29 wouldn't have been used for that flight.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by xyzzy
That would be nice, but there is no room for another runway.
Why not use the car/truck lanes of the NJTurnpike....or Rte 1/9
Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL Silver - 1MM, UA Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
NTSB Press Release Just Issued

Wed / 01 Nov 315pm CT

All:

This just arrived from the NTSB just a minute ago.
Thought you'd like to read:

National Transportation Safety Board
Washington, DC 20594

November 1, 2006

NTSB INVESTIGATING THREE RECENT AIRLINER INCIDENTS

National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Mark V.
Rosenker has assigned investigators to look into three
recent incidents involving airliners, two at Newark Liberty
International Airport and another in Seattle.

Newark Liberty International Airport, October 28

On Saturday evening, October 28, Continental Airlines
flight 1883, a Boeing 757 arriving from Orlando, Florida,
landed on taxiway Zulu rather than runway 29, which
parallel's the taxiway, following a circle-to-land
instrument approach. There were no injuries to the 152
persons aboard nor damage to the aircraft. Jill Andrews
from the Board's Parsippany, New Jersey regional office is
the Investigator-in-Charge of this incident. The NTSB
identification number for this incident is NYC07IA015.

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, October 30

On Monday morning, October 30, Alaska Airlines flight
61, a Boeing 737, took off from runway 34 right, instead of
the assigned runway 34 center, at the Seattle-Tacoma
International Airport. There were no injuries or damage,
and the flight continued uneventfully to Juneau, Alaska.
Joseph Sedor from the NTSB's Major Investigations Division
has been assigned as Investigator-in-Charge. The NTSB
identification number for this incident is DCA07IA008.

Newark Liberty International Airport, October 31

On Tuesday evening, October 31, the left wingtip of
Lufthansa flight 403, a Boeing 747 that was taxiing for
takeoff, struck the right wingtip of a Continental Airlines
757 that was being towed. There were 313 persons aboard the
Lufthansa aircraft; there were no passengers aboard the 757.
No injuries were reported and minor damage was noted on the
747's wingtip. Paul Cox from the NTSB's Ashburn, Virginia
regional office has been assigned as Investigator-in-Charge.
The NTSB identification number for this incident
investigation is NYC07IA017.

Preliminary reports for all of these incidents will be
available shortly on the Board's website at www.ntsb.gov.
Investigators will interview crewmembers, obtain air traffic
control data, and analyze information from flight recorders
from all of these incidents.

- 30 -
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:16 pm

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
Facts

Facts are always better than conjecture, though sometimes less spectacular and entertaining!

B7
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by AEpilot76
They may have the option of taking, I believe it's called a 709 ride. Basically it's a checkride to regain all of your licenses/ratings. Personally, I know of one guy who took one of those rides after he landed gear up.

WOW. Is he now known as "Forrest GUMPS"??

--PP
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:41 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
EWR has all the proper navigational equipment for its principal runways (4L/22R & 4R/22L). RWY 11/29 doesn't get a lot of use and so perhaps the Port Authority hasn't felt a pressing need to upgrade it.

Also, while RWY 11/29 is long enough for most take offs and virtually any landing, it's a little too short to serve as a principal runway for all flights.

I do know there has been perioidic talk of adding another principal runway at EWR, but haven't heard much about this in a few years.
Hmmmm...with all of the congestion and delays at EWR, and now this incident, I think that the PANYNJ would be smart to consider upgrading the equipment on RWY 11/29.

C'mon PA, why did it take an event such as this for you guys to realize the obvoious????
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by theblakefish
Hmmmm...with all of the congestion and delays at EWR, and now this incident, I think that the PANYNJ would be smart to consider upgrading the equipment on RWY 11/29.
Not so easy. Aircraft do the circle to 29 instead of a straight-in because there isn't enough room. The extended final of 29 would get very close to Lower Manhattan, so there isn't enough room out there for an instrument approach. EWR is in too confined of an area to permit much (or any) expansion of the airport or approaches.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I'mOffOne
Not so easy. Aircraft do the circle to 29 instead of a straight-in because there isn't enough room. The extended final of 29 would get very close to Lower Manhattan, so there isn't enough room out there for an instrument approach. EWR is in too confined of an area to permit much (or any) expansion of the airport or approaches.
Exactly. There are a couple of other issues with Rwy 11/29. At 6,800 ft it's really just a little too short to be used for transcon, TATL or any long-haul heavies.

Also, since Rwy 29 abuts the NJ Turnpike, a rail line and a dockyard, there is no place for any ALS which is really a necessary part of any complete ILS/DME system.

You've mentioned the airspace issues, but Rwy 29 could be used more commonly even with the circle approach. However, without any ILS, this runway will never be heavily used in a context like EWR where the heavy traffic volume requires ILS landings because of the close spacing between a/c.

IIRC, there had been talk a few years ago of building a third runway 4/22, but this also ran into real estate issues.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that both runways 4/22 are excellent, very long, and have all the latest state-of-the-art instrumentation available.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:06 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Not sure if this has been posted before, but according to local reports the NTSB has decided to get into the investigation, because the Cockpit voice recorder was intentionally erased
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ewrfox
Not sure if this has been posted before, but according to local reports the NTSB has decided to get into the investigation, because the Cockpit voice recorder was intentionally erased
First, the NTSB is involved because of the incident itself, irrespective of the CVR issue.

Second, that's very interesting information about the CVR being intentionally erased. I'm wondering where that information came from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.