Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic activity 4/15 CO flights..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by thaliajen
CRNK- did anyone mention what the best plan is to get out of the UK to the US? I mean, what route is considered the most stable? I'm not sure if I should head to Spain or to Italy, or even if something as close as Paris will open up.
Also, anyone know if CO is going to allow us to change our tickets from LHR to Rome or wherever they're flying from?
Website says:

Due to number of flights impacted, Continental is altering our flight schedule to certain European destinations. If you would like to change your travel to one of the alternate flights and obtain ground transportation at your expense, you will be allowed to make the flight change for no fee. If you choose to travel to a European destination other than your originally ticketed final destination, you will be responsible for all arrangements and cost for onward travel upon arrival. Continental will not be responsible for providing any further onward travel or amenities.

If you read that to the letter, it would only apply to Europe-bound flights, but I'd bet they'll let you take an alternate US-bound flight too, if there's a seat.

Also, I can't get through to CO on the Plat Elite line- it's on hold as would be expected. I don't want to spend a fortune using my cell phone. Is there a local number we can call from the UK?
Interestingly the website does not list a UK Elite number. It only has the following:

Belgium
Denmark
France
Germany
Greece
Italy
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
Switzerland

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them publicly though, so I would suggest going to: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...orityline.aspx (must be logged in). There are general UK reservation numbers listed:

0845 607 6760
0845 607 0777 (BusinessFirst)
0800 028 3687 (Customer Care)
Mon. - Sun. - 24 hours
0207 365 1859 (OnePass Service Centre)
Mon. - Fri. 0730-1730
0800 028 5003 (continental.com Support)

If you're able to get online with a laptop, you could use Skype to call the US number. Skype doesn't charge for calling US-based toll free numbers.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Someone on pprune said they heard that faux news is reporting that CO won't be resuming flights to Europe for a month

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/4...raffic-68.html

Last edited by BigPoppaCO; Apr 18, 2010 at 9:24 pm
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
Someone on pprune said they heard that faux news is reporting that CO won't be resuming flights to Europe for a month
Particularly entertaining since CO is actually running extra sections to Europe today, returning tomorrow.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by sbm12
Particularly entertaining since CO is actually running extra sections to Europe today, returning tomorrow.
And the fact that Eurocontrol estimates 50% of European airspace could be open tomorrow.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Current Flights via cross the Atlantic via Flightaware

CO 48 = EWR to BOM
CO 82 = EWR to DEL
CO 64 = EWR to LIS
CO 62 = EWR to MAD
EC 4 = EWR tp TLS - Open Skies
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Dhamal

CO 48 = EWR to BOM
CO 82 = EWR to DEL
CO 64 = EWR to LIS
CO 62 = EWR to MAD
EC 4 = EWR tp TLS - Open Skies
CO40 went to FCO yesterday via the southerly route. I have a friend who was on it. The TLV flights went, too.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
They're obviously trying to send CO38 to Oslo tonight. I saw somewhere else (and confirmed on the pda-site) that they're sending a 764, which I think will be a first time visitor here at OSL.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I wonder where most of the CO European aircraft are? EWR or some in EWR and some sitting in Europe?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Dhamal

CO 64 = EWR to LIS
But why run this with a 752 tonight?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by cova
But why run this with a 752 tonight?
Flightaware says it's a 764. Continental says it's a Boeing 767-400 aircraft #60.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cova
I wonder where most of the CO European aircraft are? EWR or some in EWR and some sitting in Europe?
I think a good number of them are here in the States.

The Euro carriers appear to be stuck here (IAH):

(credit to Kevin Boydston for the photograph)

If you look closely, there are 2 CO 764's in the background next to a 777. My guess is that those are the LHR flights and either the AMS or FRA flight.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Meanwhile, I found the UK number for CO, and interestingly enough, they aren't answering either. I called the Plat line so many times I've lost count and even though I am told it's a 2 minute wait, I've waited as long as 50 minutes and still no answer. I call morning, noon, night, and midnight. I can't get through. All I want is to hear a CO rep TELL me what they're recommending. I just want to hear someone's voice who knows what is going on. Is that too much to ask? My cell phone bill will be ridiculous and I didn't even get through.

In other news, a report on BBC just said that Scottish airspace should be clear of the ash cloud tomorrow. What does that mean? Not much, yet anyway. As the Brits are taking naval vessels to rescue their people abroad, they still aren't talking about opening airspace. Maybe the afternoon conference will help?

Also, I'm glad the Brits are so good about helping their people, but when do they even mention the Americans who are stuck in London? We don't get compensation like the European carriers for hotel and food. We have a much longer trip home, and we're not getting any information.

Meanwhile, what is this May 7th date that people keep mentioning? I think it is on the CO page, as well. A man interviewed waiting for a flight to the UK said he'd been re-booked for May 7th. I don't know what airline, but that date seems to keep cropping up.

I don't know about other people, but I'll be sleeping on the street if I have to wait until May 7th to go home. And according to the CO website, my plane is coming from Houston on Tuesday, so I guess that is a "no" for my flight Wednesday morning? Do we HAVE other aircraft in London? I sure hope so.

I am trying to keep my wits about me, but all I can think about is my baby boy waiting at home for me. And that CO phone line!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Not Europe, but it appears the volcanic activity is also responsible for the cancellation of CO 2900 (EWR-YYT) last night.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...h-flights.html
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:27 am

And according to the CO website, my plane is coming from Houston on Tuesday, so I guess that is a "no" for my flight Wednesday morning?
Why do you say that? How early do you think the plane normally comes in?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Flightaware says it's a 764. Continental says it's a Boeing 767-400 aircraft #60.
pda site and co.com site show flight 64 as a 752 (#108) for 4/19/10 and the seat map is a 752 seat map. Still shows empty seats on the 752 and most of the "good" coach seats are still available. (but likely it is sold out - yes full on pda site)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.