Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic activity 4/15 CO flights..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Non-TypiCAL F/A
That is not true, a vast majority of F/As are certified for all the planes we fly. However the minimum crew for the 777 is 9 F/As and the 757 is staffed with 6 (minimum crew on the 752 is 4). So if ops was to send a 777 to a 752 destination there might not be enough F/As to work the flight back.

Edited to add: I just realized you were probably talking about the pilots!
I probably did (my friend just mentioned crew).

So, as you say, even though the FA's that has been "stranded" in Oslo since Wednesday had a certification to work on a 777, there wouldn't be enough of them. Besides, the pilots stranded in Oslo would not be able to fly it.

If i may ask: What's the normal number of cabin crew on a 767-400? I assume that they are normally a few more than the 6 working on the flight today?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:57 am

The 767-400 is normally staffed with 10 F/As, and minimum crew is 6. Working that plane with 6 F/As doing the international service is really hard, I have done it!!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by thaliajen
cwf- have you looked into Birmingham? When my flight was cancelled for tomorrow my husband conference called me with a CO rep. She is the one who said I should fly from Birmingham on Friday, but I didn't do the searching, she did. Also, there's nothing really going on here in London- I am not even sure I believe CO will fly a week from today, though that was the original rebook.

I just hope there is a plane IN Birmingham so Friday works out. I don't trust waiting on flights coming in to the city, or any UK space. I'll believe it when I see it.

Good Luck!
Thalia, just a comment re: Birmingham - leave going there until the last possible moment. I once paid $112 to get out of Birmingham 6 hours early via train because I just couldn't take it any more. Much better to be stuck in London!!

Just MO, though
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I'm actually taking a train Thursday to stay at the airport hotel. If the flight doesn't go, I'll see what other parts of the UK I can explore. London hotels are too expensive. But I agree, I won't be sightseeing in Birmingham. It's a means to an end.

Actually, I'm trying to figure out why CO isn't offering flights from Scotland. We are trapped over here and you'd think that they'd take advantage of the open air space. I know, I know, it isn't CO's fault. But would it be THAT difficult to fly from Edinburgh or Glasgow? Heathrow is dead.

I pray the Birmingham flight goes as scheduled. It is a bit north of London and a bit towards Scotland, so maybe we'll get lucky. Oddly, the flight I'm on doesn't show up when looking online on CO.com. A friend was hoping to get on the same flight but neither the Thursday or Friday flights show up. I'm hoping that is b/c they're re-routing more Heathrow passengers through Birmingham and not b/c they don't expect it to fly.

So if that doesn't fly, I wait a week. I don't know why CO didn't tell me to go to Europe- they have open air space in Italy, Spain, Portugal, Turkey and Russia according to BBC. But those flights must be full.

Ugh- I HATE this! Second guessing everything I do is getting old. I'll just have to trust the CO rep and pray that Birmingham is my saving grace.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Right now, most (if not all) flights to Europe for Wed 4/21 are "on schedule" with aircraft assigned, so should be westbound flights from Europe to the US for Thursday 4/22.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:40 pm

Just to add to the discussion some info. I have two friends in Germany who were schedule on an AA flight to Chicago today. The flight was cancelled and their rebooking was next Monday. They were supposed to get to the US at the end of last week.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingwheels
Just had a look at CO website, which clears up a lot. They do not fly on most of the airports that have reopened, state they will keep applying for aproval to fly on those airports, but it's up to EU authorities and they will give Eu carriers preference. While that preference was still the case earlier today, this preference is not noticable for flights scheduled tomorrow.
It seems a bit odd to me that European carriers would get a preference. I would think every flight leaving Europe would get preference (over intra-European flights) given the absence of alternative transportation options.

But maybe this was just a one-day thing when there wasn't enough airspace opened to allow all long haul int'l flights, and the local authorities just gave preference to their own airlines.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
refund processing question

Originally Posted by bcmatt
Cheers, yes I found that out a few hours ago

Called CO and the next flight they could offer (from BHX, MAN or LHR) was Monday(!), so went for the full refund with no penalties, as Monday was too late to speak at a conference on Saturday!

Shame, but not the end of the world.
I had to cancel a trip to a conference in Germany as well on Saturday and get a full refund. Has yours been processed yet? Mine hasn't and I am wondering when I will see the credit on my account (plus I had upgraded so should get refunded miles and the additional charges for upgrading from a low fare class), so was wondering when I would get all these miles and dollars back.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hertz Gold, BAEC, FR Top Tier
It looks as if airspace is finally opening up in UK & Ireland.

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-20-4-a-3.html

Update: BA84 (ex-Vancouver) has apparently just landed at LHR.

Last edited by GIGFY; Apr 20, 2010 at 3:05 pm Reason: Update: confirmation.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I'm going home !!!!!!!!

My travel dept at my office here in Marseille was able to book me for tomorrow:

MRS - MAD - MIA on Iberia
MIA - IAH on Continental

So arriving IAH 4/21 8:14 PM if all goes as scheduled.

Never flown Iberia before, and a little concerned about MAD (but have 3 hour layover) as everyone going there to get to points elsewhere, but hoping it works !

A little finger crossing, prayers, good vibes......whatever you can send me.....would be appreciated.

I swear I'm going to kiss the ground in MIA !
Old Apr 20, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, FB Platinum (Ivory after 1/4/2010 :-)
Just a little update. I got through to Continental Customer Care in UK (800 number via Skype - free) and they told me a) they can't rebook me to Lufthansa flight without CO codeshare, b) CO will not fly unless they get permission for normal flight, not VFR. Shame. But lady there was very nice and helpful, she tried their best. Waiting time was only 4mins.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Currently, the flights listing to go tonite are similar to last night, but with smaller planes for ARN and BCN:

CO38 OSL 764
CO40 FCO 764
CO62 MAD 764
CO64 LIS 752
CO68 ARN 762
CO80 ZRH 764
CO120 BCN 752

In fact, the 762 to ARN has fewer overall seats than the regular 752.
New flights showing tonite 4/20. In addition to above:

CO56 CDG 762 (delayed - catering, right now)
CO60 BRU 752 (delayed - catering, right now)
CO70 AMS 752
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
It seems a bit odd to me that European carriers would get a preference. I would think every flight leaving Europe would get preference (over intra-European flights) given the absence of alternative transportation options.

But maybe this was just a one-day thing when there wasn't enough airspace opened to allow all long haul int'l flights, and the local authorities just gave preference to their own airlines.
Apparently CO either thinks it works like that, was told so, and/or thinks their customers will believe so.

It's not the practice I've seen at AMS. Monday evening, KLM was the only one allowed to fly, with no more than 3 flights departing (all intercontinental). Next morning KLM started out given some preference for the long haul flights, but by the afternoon that was gone. All airlines are allowed in and out of AMS. KLM given the preference at the very first start wasn't surprising. First of all they, LH and AirFrance were a major force in getting airspace reopened, guess that earns them something. But more important; KLM had more material left waiting at AMS, thus being able to carry out flights ASAP. This extended to codeshare partners, where KLM supplied the material for those flights. Heck, they even carried out the first flight from the US to AMS (MCO-AMS) for MP, which they would normally not do eventhough MP is a daughter of KLM.

As early as possible, Dutch aircontrol gave preference to whomever was able to get their flight up in the air, with long haul having first dibs. Some airlines were able to fly within no time, some weren't/aren't. By now clearence has been given for AMS to also allow take off and landing without day light, which now allows a real chance of catching up in getting all of those stranded on their way.

By now it are airlines like KLM, LH etc. that are impacted most by cancellations, obviously on the EU flights.

Hmm, Rkkwan's posting made me have another look at the CO AMS schedule for the 21st. Earlier today both CO and AMS said CO's flights out of AMS for the 21st were cancelled. Now they're back on schedule. Seems like somebody realised it was premature to cancel those flights.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kilgore75
CO will not fly unless they get permission for normal flight, not VFR. Shame.
This makes complete sense - it's inconceivable that CO (or any airline) would operate transatlantic passenger flights under VFR. This hasn't been done much since the Charles Lindbergh days
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by star_world
This makes complete sense - it's inconceivable that CO (or any airline) would operate transatlantic passenger flights under VFR. This hasn't been done much since the Charles Lindbergh days
Well it would only be VFR for the last (or first) leg, while in German airspace for instance.

LH and AB are operating in Germany with VFR:
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...tep-rules.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.