A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Volcanic activity 4/15 CO flights..

edited on 4/16

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...elnotices.aspx

Operations Summary
As of 7:04 a.m. Central, Fri., Apr. 16, 2010

A VOLCANO LOCATED IN ICELAND HAS ERUPTED AND VOLCANIC ASH POSES A POTENTIAL PROBLEM FOR FLIGHTS TRANSITTING THE ATLANTIC. FLIGHTS WESTBOUND TO THE UNITED STATES WILL MOST LIKELY BE REROUTED AROUND THE ASH CLOUD. FLIGHTS MAY BE DELAYED DUE TO FUEL STOPS, EXTENDED FLIGHT TIME OR MAY BE CANCELLED. MORE UPDATED INFORMATION WILL FOLLOW AS THE SITUATION UNFOLDS.

Please contact Continental airlines for expected delays or cancellations for the following cities: Dublin, Shannon, Amsterdam, Brussels, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Paris and in the U.K. - London (Heathrow), Birmingham, Belfast, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Bristol.

Continental is providing the option to re-schedule or re-route your travel once, without penalty, if you are ticketed to/from one of the cities listed below.* If your flight has been cancelled, a refund to the original form of payment can be requested. If you are traveling using a OnePass Reward, redeposit fees will be waived. Travel must be completed by the original validity dates specified on the ticket and changes must be confirmed in the same class of service as the original ticket. The value of the ticket may also be used towards purchasing another Continental Airlines ticket.

Airports: Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS); Belfast, Northern Ireland (BFS); Berlin, Germany (TXL - Tegel);Birmingham, England (BHX); Bristol, England (BRS); Brussels, Belgium (BRU); Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH); Dublin, Ireland (DUB); Edinburgh, Scotland (EDI); Frankfurt, Germany (FRA); Glasgow, Scotland (GLA); Hamburg, Germany (HAM); London, England (LHR - Heathrow); Manchester, England (MAN), Oslo, Norway (OSL); Paris, France (CDG); Shannon, Ireland (SNN); Stockholm, Sweden (ARN - Arlanda);

Last edited by dergon darkhelm; Apr 16, 2010 at 8:05 am
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
I'm wondering why Oslo isn't mentioned. I know that last nights CO38 was cancelled, and according to co.com, it was due to ATC. However, Oslo Airport closed down completely at 10.00 AM today, so even if CO38 had made it to OSL, CO39 would have been stranded.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for BHX-EWR tomorrow morning... even a heavy delay would be preferable to cancellation, but I am starting to suspect the problems over UK and the Nordic countries are not going to have completely cleared up overnight.

Oh, well - we can expect a beautiful sunset tonight apparently!

Meanwhile, the Guardian has pretty much everything you could ever want to know about volcanoes and aviation, and an ongoing update of the situation: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog...uption-iceland

ETA: from www.nats.co.uk

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Thurs April 15, 14:00

The cloud of volcanic ash is now spread across the UK and continuing to travel south. In line with international civil aviation policy, no flights other than agreed emergencies are currently permitted in UK controlled airspace. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that these restrictions will remain in place in UK controlled airspace until 0700 tomorrow, Friday 16 April, at the earliest. We will review further Met Office information and at 2000 today (local) we will advise the arrangements that will be in place through to 1300 tomorrow.

Last edited by bcmatt; Apr 15, 2010 at 7:41 am
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by martinfoss
I'm wondering why Oslo isn't mentioned. I know that last nights CO38 was cancelled, and according to co.com, it was due to ATC. However, Oslo Airport closed down completely at 10.00 AM today, so even if CO38 had made it to OSL, CO39 would have been stranded.
I was reading a news report earlier that AMS was closed too?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
Originally Posted by knit-in
Most of Northern and Western Europe is closed down - also AMS.

CPH is expected to be closed for most of the weekend.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:02 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I guess this means everything to China will go West over Canada
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Vulcan
I guess this means everything to China will go West over Canada
Flights to China all go north via North Pole anyways.

It did mean flights to India were taking a much more southerly route last night:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...056Z/KEWR/VIDP

Last edited by rkkwan; Apr 15, 2010 at 10:55 am Reason: Fixed grammar.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rkkwan
...It does mean flights to India are taking a much more southerly route:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...056Z/KEWR/VIDP
Over LHR? Then why are the UK airports closed? Something seems amiss here...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by knit-in
True. This morning, aircontrol already decided airspace about the Netherlands would be closed, starting at 7 pm local time. About an hour ago, it was decided airspace is closed since 6 pm dutch time. At this moment, 500 flights from AMS alone are already cancelled. Some of tomorrows flights have also already been cancelled.

Besides AMS, airspace is been told to also close above Belgium, Luxemburg and part of Germany. Norway etc is also closed as we speak. Basically, airports have been 'late' in confirming closure of airspace. Aircontrol did pretty OK, informing folks way in advance. Such a shame not all airports followed suit but took hours before confirming. Some airlines already started arranging things this morning, others didn't start until about 4 pm local time.

It's the biggest airtravel delay we've ever seen caused by natural phenomena. It's so weird to watch online aircraft tracking and seeing not one plane above our little corner of the world. Never seen it before and doubt I will any day soon. (and hope!).

For those with EU-bound flights; it can pay off to follow some of the EU news sources, especially with aircontrol being so early in announcing when which airspace will be closed.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Over LHR? Then why are the UK airports closed? Something seems amiss here...
That flight was from last night. Before the airspace over southern England was shut down.

Last edited by rkkwan; Apr 15, 2010 at 11:31 am
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: Hertz Gold, BAEC, FR Top Tier
Originally Posted by bcmatt
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for BHX-EWR tomorrow morning... even a heavy delay would be preferable to cancellation, but I am starting to suspect the problems over UK and the Nordic countries are not going to have completely cleared up overnight.

Oh, well - we can expect a beautiful sunset tonight apparently!

Meanwhile, the Guardian has pretty much everything you could ever want to know about volcanoes and aviation, and an ongoing update of the situation: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog...uption-iceland

ETA: from www.nats.co.uk

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Thurs April 15, 14:00

The cloud of volcanic ash is now spread across the UK and continuing to travel south. In line with international civil aviation policy, no flights other than agreed emergencies are currently permitted in UK controlled airspace. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that these restrictions will remain in place in UK controlled airspace until 0700 tomorrow, Friday 16 April, at the earliest. We will review further Met Office information and at 2000 today (local) we will advise the arrangements that will be in place through to 1300 tomorrow.
I hope you already know this, but if not, I am very sorry to say that tonight's CO26 EWR-BHX is showing as cancelled on co.com., so it looks as if you are out of luck for tomorrow.

Hope you can sort out some kind of decent alternative, and soon.

Here in Wiltshire, it does look as if we are in for a great sunset, but I guess that is little consolation for you...

Good luck.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:28 pm
cwf

Friday's flights are being cancelled already...

Even though the UK is reviewing the situation at 8pm Thursday, Continental has already cancelled flight 5 for 4/16. They put me on the 4/18 out of LHR. I called Continental, flights from BHX and Bristol to the US are already cancelled tomorrow and booked on Saturday.

There goes the weekend.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by GIGFY
I hope you already know this, but if not, I am very sorry to say that tonight's CO26 EWR-BHX is showing as cancelled on co.com., so it looks as if you are out of luck for tomorrow.
Cheers, yes I found that out a few hours ago

Called CO and the next flight they could offer (from BHX, MAN or LHR) was Monday(!), so went for the full refund with no penalties, as Monday was too late to speak at a conference on Saturday!

Shame, but not the end of the world.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT
The travel change waiver has been expanded:

Dates: 4/14-4/18

For travel to/from/through: AMS, BFS, BHX, BRS, BRU, CPH, DUB, EDI, GLA, LHR, MAN, OSL, CDG, SNN, ARN.

Should be a nice night to see some 757s, 767s, and 777s parked at EWR! Wonder if those planes might make a few domestic turns these next several days...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cjgibson
...Wonder if those planes might make a few domestic turns these next several days...
There has been some whining about lack of upgrades AUS-EWR. Maybe a few 772s on that route will quiet the madding hordes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.