Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic activity 4/15 CO flights..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by rkkwan
CO16 EWR-GLA will operate with 764 tonite.
....with 51 passengers on the standby list
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
....with 51 passengers on the standby list
I wonder why they don't upgrade the EDI flights as well? I'm sure they will have no problem filling every seat on a couple of 764s and a 772 to Scotland.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: CO 1 Ply
I wonder why they don't upgrade the EDI flights as well? I'm sure they will have no problem filling every seat on a couple of 764s and a 772 to Scotland.
Would they be worried about the planes being stuck there if the eruption becomes worse again?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
CO 9682 EWR-LHR codeshare with VS at 9:10pm this evening showing estimated departure at 1:40am this morning. Did some flights actually leave early before the shutdown just to get their planes positioned? This is showing on CO's flight status page. VS shut down their Flight Information page, so can't confirm VS002 there. May not be accurate, since it's still using the word "Estimated" even though it's showing the 1:40am departure today time.
Update - looks like the CO Web site gave up on this one. It's still showing this flight departing at 1:40am earlier this morning, but the status line just says to contact Virgin Atlantic for the current status of VS2 operating at CO9682. Probably just not getting the feed from VS.

What a mess. My sympathies with anyone caught up in this.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uh-oh. CO22 EWR-DUB is turning back after getting to Newfoundland:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...333Z/KEWR/KEWR

CO16, the 764 for GLA, still on the ground at EWR, along with all other flights to Scotland, Ireland and BFS.

The two flights to India again flying through North Pole.

So far, the only CO flights en-route to Europe are to LIS, MAD, BCN and FCO.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All canceled now for tonite. No luck getting to Ireland or Scotland.

Even the British Airways bird they sent from SFO to Glasgow turned back after reaching Idaho; while Aer Lingus turned their ORD-DUB flight back to BOS. Things are not getting better.

Last edited by rkkwan; Apr 16, 2010 at 9:14 pm
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT
So far, the only CO flights en-route to Europe are to LIS, MAD, BCN and FCO.
Looks like the flight to FCO got upgraded from a 762 to a 764.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
CO 48 made it out tonight EWR to BOM.... so far so good, I think they are going to fly over Iceland... Tracking on http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA48 ^
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Dhamal
CO 48 made it out tonight EWR to BOM.... so far so good, I think they are going to fly over Iceland... Tracking on http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA48 ^
If by over you mean well to the North of Iceland than yes, the flight plan takes them "over" Iceland.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
All canceled now for tonite. No luck getting to Ireland or Scotland.

Even the British Airways bird they sent from SFO to Glasgow turned back after reaching Idaho; while Aer Lingus turned their ORD-DUB flight back to BOS. Things are not getting better.
Aer Lingus 136, BOS-DUB, departed on-time at 6:25 PM, and is scheduled to arrive in 18 minutes. Look like my Irish colleague made the right call in figuring how to get back home.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by JohnneeO
Aer Lingus 136, BOS-DUB, departed on-time at 6:25 PM, and is scheduled to arrive in 18 minutes. Look like my Irish colleague made the right call in figuring how to get back home.
Unfortunately it looks like it also had to go back. Check out FlightAware. It should've been long down by now, yet no arrival result as of now. Must be a turn around.

Things are worsening up again, Scottish airspace is apparently closed again and Ireland isn't going much better either. Flights scheduled to arrive at Dublin on the morning of 18th are already cancelled.

Worst part of it all; the vulcano keeps spitting out relentlessly. Combine that with the fact the wind is still the same direction, blowing ashes right to Europe. Does not look good one bit for at least the next couple of days.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:09 am

Hi fellow FTers !

I'm based in FRA. As you all know FRA is temporarily closed as any other airport within Germany. No reliable info on how long the closure will last but at least until 04/18/2010 - 02:00 am. *TO BE EXTENDED FOR UP TO 72 MORE HOURS ! So this might be also the time frame for any CO flight to / from Germany.

For everybody planning going to / via German airspace, they just showed a forecast on German TV. This is the first time something link this happened, since Eurocontrol was founded, so they have no real data to make any reliable predication. Also I would like to recommend not only to think about how to get home asap, but also bearing in mind your safety. Have a look at this post, found by tomh009 http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-volcanic.html

If you are in need of a "cheap" hotel in FRA, or any suggestion what to do meanwhile, or look for alternative travel suggestions feel free to PM me. I'll do my very best to help you out. The airport is already crowded with 1000s of people sleeping on cots. No fun place to spend several hours / days or days.

Last edited by servus; Apr 17, 2010 at 8:54 am Reason: *update
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by flyingwheels
It might not make me very popular, but you are upset about a nonupgrade? Seriously? With what is going on right now? Something tells me you might be in for a lot more of the coming days. An upgrade would be the least of my concearns in this situation.

For those scheduled for flights tomorrow; it's wise to start making arrangements as predicted earlier today. Eurocontrol has already stated large parts of airspace to be closed until at least late tomorrow (17th) night EU time, as it looks at the moment. This includes the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands and large parts of Germany and France. The official decision still has to be made, but that's only a matter of time IMHO. The ashcloud hasn't really moved that much today, so situations won't be very different tomorrow.

It wasn't that I was UPSET it was more of a "grrrrrrrr". I'm very tall, and the thought of 10.5 hours in a coach seat was already making very uncomfortable. The website was still showing 5 seats in FC available, yet the CSR said they were sold out.

As my flight #47 was canceled Thursday, Friday, and today I called last night and of course understandably they could not at that time give me a status if that bird would even fly on Sunday.

I have rescheduled for Wednesday 4/21 (first flight available) and was immediately given my upgrade. ^ to CSR Cindy !!! She had an amazing attitude about all this mess and was a joy to deal with.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by flyingwheels
Unfortunately it looks like it also had to go back. Check out FlightAware. It should've been long down by now, yet no arrival result as of now. Must be a turn around.

Things are worsening up again, Scottish airspace is apparently closed again and Ireland isn't going much better either. Flights scheduled to arrive at Dublin on the morning of 18th are already cancelled.

Worst part of it all; the vulcano keeps spitting out relentlessly. Combine that with the fact the wind is still the same direction, blowing ashes right to Europe. Does not look good one bit for at least the next couple of days.
April 17, 2010 Aer Lingus 136 shows down at 5:38 AM on the 18th on both the Aer Lingus site, and also Flight Aware.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM
#47 FRA-IAH 4/18 now showing canceled on PDA. I'm glad I went ahead and rebooked last night for 4/21.....and keeping fingers crossed on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.