Boycott the Vote!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boycott the Vote!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I once read in Readers Digest (hey, I was at the dentist) that if everyone woke up one morning, the same race, color and creed, by 12 noon we'd have something to fight about.

As an American, I respect the opinions offered by the OP. I just happen to disagree with his premise.

Looks like this all back-fired in the OP's face so to speak.

This year, I'll vote as late as possible. I really want to read what everyone is writing in the Talk Board threads. I really want to take a closer look at the ligit folks that are running for Talk Board.

Sadly (editorial opinion), I'm sure many of us will vote based on popularity, rather than qualifications.

I am glad that the OP created this thread. The previous responses prove that Flyertalker do care, and are a passionate bunch.

Dan
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If this TalkBoard election didn't have record turnout, I'd have been shocked -- especially given the growth in the membership base.

I'd be curious to compare the percentage of the membership base that votes in this election in relation to prior ones.

One question (for now). How do we report voting irregularities and/or specific suspicious behavior to investigate in this election? An election with controversy is a memorable one.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kanebear
JMHO as one FTer to another; why not start your own board and flag as you please? Oh wait, that's been done already.
Wasn't the TB candidate Dovster involved in the starting of that board?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Wow, there is yet another FlyerTalk alternative that has sprung up that I don't know about yet?

I know of at least ten offshoot sites (some now dead, some limping along, and a few serving a small but vocal group of folks with a common agenda) - and none of those were founded by him. It wouldn't surprise me to learn of ten more though. Successes are often imitated but rarely replicated.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Not sure whether he founded it but he was not only a very active member, he was also a moderator. Funny that, eh? Considering his continuing criticism of moderators here.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for me, display avatar was OFF by default. i had to turn it on. i had no idea what was going on when i read OP
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
JMHO as one FTer to another; why not start your own board and flag as you please? Oh wait, that's been done already.
This may be more appropriate...
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Kanebear, Ozstamps was not involved in the founding of that board.

Originally Posted by tazi
Not sure whether he founded it but he was not only a very active member, he was also a moderator. Funny that, eh? Considering his continuing criticism of moderators here.
I was, indeed, its first moderator. I see nothing funny in that at all -- especially when you consider that one of the first things I announced was that questioning of FlyerChat moderation would be allowed.

Some members, yourself included, used to come on there and make very strong attacks. Some of these were directed at me. You were not suspended from FlyerChat.

(You were, however, told that the attacks directed at other people would not be tolerated unless you either labeled them as your opinion or provided substantiation. You did neither and they were removed.)

Indeed, the only person I can recall being kicked off of FlyerChat was one who launched a very strong personal attack on Randy Petersen.

I was a moderator on FlyerChat from September 18, 2005 until November 23 of the same year. I resigned as a moderator at the same time that I resigned from FT's TalkBoard and for the same reason -- at the time it appeared that I was in for a long hospitalization and would not be able to give either task the time it deserved.

(I just looked and I am still listed as a moderator on FlyerChat but I can't find any posts that I have made in 2006 and certainly have not acted as a moderator since my resignation.)
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:18 am
Suspended

Controversy ... controversy.

... and here I thought CommunityBuzz was principally about camaraderie.

How many plots and subplots are running through this thread?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Controversy ... controversy.

... and here I thought CommunityBuzz was principally about camaraderie.
Most excitement here since the Freddie Jr. incident.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:30 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I say that if the TalkBoard elections are boycotted, they should be girlcotted as well.

Equal opportunity should be available for all FlyerTalk members regardless of race, gender, age, location, sense of humour, religion, politics, or frequent traveler program affiliation.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:39 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by Dovster
(You were, however, told that the attacks directed at other people would not be tolerated unless you either labeled them as your opinion or provided substantiation. You did neither and they were removed.)
Actually, I was responding to a claim another poster had made concerning myself. Instead of asking her to prove that what she was claiming did in fact happen, you instead (showing extreme favoritism to the other poster) asked me to do the impossible and prove that it did not happen, that something did not exist.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:40 am

I wonder; could it be that those screaming the loudest over a simple 'get out the vote' avatar have a vested interest in NOT having a high 'turnout'?? After all, if you have low turnout it becomes much easier to 'influence' voting patterns.
I sincerely doubt that this is the case.

Mike
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I
Had Randy posted in advance of the opening of the polls, that this logo was going to be made available for those who vote, that they could go to such-and-such a place to "sign on", or even "sign off" (the negative option has been long banned from the marketplace, but seems to be the default on the web), and that it be limited to the most appropriate logo without denoting any national identity (FT is a world wide site), then it is likely that the original thread on the AC forum would not have been started -- though I cannot speak for my confrere -- nor would I have resorted to starting this one, and the clone over on the TalkBoard forum.

Like as if Randy, even in his most vivid imagination, ever thought something like this would happen. He did what he thought was right and all h*** breaks loose. Who woulda thunk?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nako
I wonder; could it be that those screaming the loudest over a simple 'get out the vote' avatar have a vested interest in NOT having a high 'turnout'?? After all, if you have low turnout it becomes much easier to 'influence' voting patterns.
I sincerely doubt that this is the case.

Mike
Perhaps not in your case, but perhaps in some other cases. That said, low turnout here would mean the voting pattern is more easily "influenced", just as kanebear noted.

That once again takes me back to repeating a question:

How do we report voting irregularities and/or specific suspicious behavior to investigate in this election?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.