Boycott the Vote!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by missy64
Wow GU, I think you may be on to something here
Have you thought about making your signature words such that they link up to this thread?

like this [ url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6687139]I Voted!!! and I don't care who knows ^ [/url] (just taking out the space between the "[" and "url=...." . Then it would show up like this:

I Voted!!! and I don't care who knows ^
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:28 pm

Looks like some people are not happy unless they have something to complain about.

PS - I voted.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:45 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
An interesting side effect here is the possiblity of this thread having the opposite effect for which it looks like it was inteneded.
It reminds of how boycotting a movie often raisies people's interest in the movie, that otherwise might not have happened were it not for the boycott.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Salem Do -- Jan. 20, 2007

In honor of the 315th anniversary of the strange, blasphemous behavior of some girls in Salem, let us meet in Salem, Mass. to commemorate this year's TalkBoard election.

The Do shall be divided into two groups: Voters and Others. We've arranged for two discount travel packages:

Voters

$300 round-trip airfare
Two nights at the Four Seasons Salem

Others

$150 one-way airfare
One night at the Four Seasons Salem
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ScottC
The current Talkboard was not consulted on this idea, but if we were I would have supported it 100%.

And so would have I.
I think it's a superb idea and I congratulate Randy and staff on their creativity/imagination. And I predict we'll have a record voting turnout as a result.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Is this just the controversy, of real or feigned outrage, "needed" in order to ramp up interest and vote counts?
Well oddly your own signature line makes you appear a fibber right now, seeing there IS now an indication to us all you have voted.

bhatnasx, Dovster, hfly, kokonutz & Spiff have my vote for now. Vote here on November 13th.

You signature says they have your vote "FOR NOW".

Either you and you alone are able to magically alter your vote after making it, or you are voting more than once.

Or maybe like chexfan's last post reads to me, you have enabled the avator and have NOT voted.

Glen
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Cholula
And so would have I.
I think it's a superb idea and I congratulate Randy and staff on their creativity/imagination. And I predict we'll have a record voting turnout as a result.
As long as we don't have candidates or members who equate the lack of an avatar with having not voted and start sending out PMs reminding people to vote.

If I get any of these, I will actively campaign against that person for the remainder of the voting period.

Mike
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Well oddly your own signature line makes you appear a fibber right now, seeing there IS now an indication to us all you have voted.

bhatnasx, Dovster, hfly, kokonutz & Spiff have my vote for now. Vote here on November 13th.

You signature says they have your vote "FOR NOW".

Either you and you alone are able to magically alter your vote after making it, or you are voting more than once.

Or maybe like chexfan's last post reads to me, you have enabled the avator and have NOT voted.

Glen
ROTFLOL ^^ I've voted. My signature may be perecieved to be out of date, but said FTers have my vote of confidence right now.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nako
As long as we don't have candidates or members who equate the lack of an avatar with having not voted and start sending out PMs reminding people to vote.

If I get any of these, I will actively campaign against that person for the remainder of the voting period.

Mike

I wouldn't send them out randomly but I can guarantee I'm going to start to needle some of my FT buddies if their avatar doesn't show prior to the vote closure.
All in good humor of course.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nako

Mike
Oh, shoot, can I recall that PM?

Just kidding....
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:11 pm

For the record, it was the Greeks who invented Democracy (both as a concept and a word). Back then, privacy had no part in it. Philosophically there's a very strong argument that people should be compelled to vote (although I for would one argue for an "abstain" or "RON" option were that the case). Perhaps those arguing against the avatar because it's not "democratic" would agree that anyone who doesn't vote should have their membership revoked, thus rendering the avatar unnecessary?

People can whine about whatever they want, but I do wish they'd marshal their arguments properly...
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skye1
An interesting side effect here is the possiblity of this thread having the opposite effect for which it looks like it was inteneded.
It reminds of how boycotting a movie often raisies people's interest in the movie, that otherwise might not have happened were it not for the boycott.
There was an election campaign where the message was "don't vote". It was a don't vote unless you know who/what you are voting for campaign. I thought it was eye catching.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I think the avatar serves a vital purpose to all of the candidates.

It lets us know which F/Ters we can return to being mean and nasty to!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:33 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
When I step out of a voting booth in real life I am handed an 'I voted' sticker. I'm WAAAAAY too vain to actually WEAR the thing on my clothes, but I understand the concept giving folks the option of reminding/peer pressuring/shaming other folks to vote and agree with it!

Good decision and well implemented, Randy! ^
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wingnut
For the record, it was the Greeks who invented Democracy (both as a concept and a word). Back then, privacy had no part in it. Philosophically there's a very strong argument that people should be compelled to vote (although I for would one argue for an "abstain" or "RON" option were that the case). Perhaps those arguing against the avatar because it's not "democratic" would agree that anyone who doesn't vote should have their membership revoked, thus rendering the avatar unnecessary?

People can whine about whatever they want, but I do wish they'd marshal their arguments properly...
I'd be hard pressed to say that it was the Greeks who invented democracy as a concept, especially because mutiny by the majority has tribal roots; the word is another matter. (And mutinies often have some element of secrecy/privacy.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.